Any obligation to replace like for like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any obligation to replace like for like?

Quick question as above do I have to replace like for like on items should they break?

Longer question...
    In my property that is a large, expensive freestanding range cooker.
    I'm drawing up an AST for unfurnished property and considering whether to include under inventory... If I did then presumably I would be liable for it and replacing if broke?
    If this was to break am I obliged to replace with similar, or could I say just put a small freestanding cooker instead?

Appreciate catrasophising potentially in vain but just want to have things sorted beforehand!! It has been checked over.

It would be a real hassle for me to take away, and also not great for tenants as they'd have to buy their own and fit etc. The alternative I'm thinking of is selling to tenants which I can then buy back at end of tenancy? So it's their responsibility??

I would say that a cooker/hob is a given as something a LL should supply and then repair or replace if it goes wrong, i choose to supply all the white goods but each LL has a different view, i have not seen a BTL without a cooker being supplied. I guess you could remove the freestanding range cooker (sounds very nice) and in the large gap put a Currys type/Cheap HMO type thing, not too sure how attractive it will look though.

Comment

You could contract out of replacing it altogether provided the tenant agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        You could contract out of replacing it altogether provided the tenant agrees.
        Good idea.. How would I phrase that in AST please?

Comment

I wouldn't opt out of replacing it, if they get they're own there's no guarantee they will use an electrician/gas fitter rather than DIY. Perhaps put in the ast it will be replaced by a free standing 4 ring cooker rather than a range cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Livingonaprayer View Post

Good idea.. How would I phrase that in AST please?
            Drafting tenancy clauses is not something I undertake lightly or would do for anyone else as I couldn't guarantee their efficacy.

I found the following with a quick search on the Internet, but I couldn't vouch for it:

APPLIANCES. Those items listed below in “as-is” condition are provided in as-is, where-is condition with any existing faults and need not be repaired, replaced, or maintained by Landlord. “As-is” Appliances:

Comment

You can contract out of replacing it, but it does have to be of satisfactory condition if you supply it at all.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Livingonaprayer View Post
                In my property that is a large, expensive freestanding range cooker.
                I'm drawing up an AST for unfurnished property and considering whether to include under inventory... If I did then presumably I would be liable for it and replacing if broke?
                It depends upon what is agreed between consulting adults.

The Snowflakes will disagree.

Comment

Agree with the above, if you are upfront with the possible tenant and explain what will happen, they can make the decision to either let it or not, it also depends on where the property is on the '' ladder '', if it's a bit delapidated in a rough area then a cheap ring cooker would be expected, if though it is marketed as more upper class then a range cooker may be expected. It really does depend on what type of tenant you are aiming at.

Comment

Thanks all; the cooker is less than a year old, and therefore would fully expect it to continue working (don't have any warranties for it). A quick search shows me it's make/ model is in the 5k range (!!) and should it break there's no way I could replace at that level. Tenant's have seen and liked it, I don't want to take it away to leave them without, also the taking away logistically would be a nightmare (it's 4 flights of stairs!!), plus would have to pay for storage too so totally crazy.
                    I just also want to cover my back should the worst happen! Yes it would be replaced with a single standard oven which, yes, would mean a big gap where the previous one is.
                    (the property itself would say mid-range, in mid area! The cooker is def way above anything else in terms of quality!!)

Comment

If my tenant managed to 'break' a one year old £5k cooker such that it was beyond repair, they wouldn't be my tenant much longer.
                      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                        If my tenant managed to 'break' a one year old £5k cooker such that it was beyond repair, they wouldn't be my tenant much longer.
                        I'm not sure getting them out on a 'you broke the oven' would be that easy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X