Should I start imposing a call out charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I start imposing a call out charge?

My idiotic friend & tenant rang me on Sunday to tell me that his toilet was leaking. He is unable to tell if it's the pan or the cistern. This is the 2nd time he has complained about this. Last time I went over and he could show me no leaks.

We agreed I would call today at 12pm. My friend left a phone message at 11am to say 'why don't I come after his booster' which he told me was booked for 2.45.

In any case it would be easier for me to do any repairs in daylight, so I knocked at 11.55am. His two cars were there. His wife was in the kitchen, but no-one would let me in. I continued on to the flat I'm working on. I packed up early at 3pm and headed over to my friend. Still no reply at 3.20, and my friend's car was missing.

I've mentioned before that I pay my friend commission for tenants he has found me. I wonder if my friend's wife would start answering the door if she knew it would cost a month's commission every time she ignores me.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Business and friends don't mix I find

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I inform T's, that the appointment has been made, and if no one answers the door or the engineer etc can't get access there would be a call out fee for missed appointments including mine, depending on who attends it would be either the companies standard call out charge or mine which is £45.

Comment

Imposing a fixed call out charge as a landlord on a tenant is specifically identified as a prohibited payment in the Tenant Fees Act guidance. If you have levied such a charge you are liable to a civil penalty of up to £5,000 and have lost the ability to use s.21. For subsequent offences you may be liable to prosecution and a banning order.

Recovering your own losses, including the Company's call out charge, may be recoverable as a breach of the tenancy agreement, if you can demonstrate that a term has actually been breached and subject to the usual requirement to mitigate your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Obiter View Post
          Imposing a fixed call out charge as a landlord on a tenant is specifically identified as a prohibited payment in the Tenant Fees Act guidance. If you have levied such a charge you are liable to a civil penalty of up to £5,000 and have lost the ability to use s.21. For subsequent offences you may be liable to prosecution and a banning order.

Recovering your own losses, including the Company's call out charge, may be recoverable as a breach of the tenancy agreement, if you can demonstrate that a term has actually been breached and subject to the usual requirement to mitigate your loss.
          I see you are right. What a f*****g joke, eh?
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Just put their rent up to cover it!

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I see you are right. What a f*****g joke, eh?
              Agreed, I'd rather do this (but not charge them but still inform them there is a cost if they miss the scheduled appointment) then rack up missed appointment costs by a T who doesn't really care if they miss the appointment or not (without any costs to them), and subsequently be served noticed. I'm sure even the Dr's/NHS charge £10 for missed appointments.....

Comment

Did you still turn up to the property after hearing the voicemail?

If you, or any other landlord, has given the required 24 hours notice in writing why not just use your own key to enter the property? Assuming the tenant hasn’t changed the locks and not given you a copy of the new key of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post

Agreed, I'd rather do this (but not charge them but still inform them there is a cost if they miss the scheduled appointment) then rack up missed appointment costs by a T who doesn't really care if they miss the appointment or not (without any costs to them), and subsequently be served noticed. I'm sure even the Dr's/NHS charge £10 for missed appointments.....
                  Yeah. Can you imagine if someone actually asked a doctor to visit, but would not let them in? I suspect you'd get a bill for the full amount of the attendance fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                    Business and friends don't mix I find
                    +1......................

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Yeah. Can you imagine if someone actually asked a doctor to visit, but would not let them in? I suspect you'd get a bill for the full amount of the attendance fee.
                      That's not what happens.

Comment

Hi my family leave in Jersey and my sister in law missed a Dr appointment which you pay £40 at time and got invoiced for it,

Comment

I've been back to my friend's place today and looked at the toilet. There is still no sign of any leak. I can only assume it's either condensation, or my friend's aim is poor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X