New Landlord Help Required

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Landlord Help Required

    Just looking for some help, I've let my three properties out for the last few years through an agent and now that one is vacant I'm thinking of letting it out myself. I'm in Scotland so I've found the relevant AST templates for £20 which seems reseanable but I need info on the best deals for advertising and for the tenant check. I've noticed a few agency's offering a service for £50-£60 that puts your property on Rightmove etc for several months does anyone have experience of these? Also what is the best value tenant credit check company?

    #2
    Originally posted by clan View Post
    Just looking for some help, I've let my three properties out for the last few years through an agent and now that one is vacant I'm thinking of letting it out myself. I'm in Scotland so I've found the relevant AST templates for £20 which seems reseanable but I need info on the best deals for advertising and for the tenant check. I've noticed a few agency's offering a service for £50-£60 that puts your property on Rightmove etc for several months does anyone have experience of these? Also what is the best value tenant credit check company?
    But where are your properties? If in Scotland, we probably cannot help- LandlordZONE generally deals only with E&W.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      But where are your properties? If in Scotland, we probably cannot help- LandlordZONE generally deals only with E&W.
      My properties are in Scotland, but surely the only difference is the tenancy agreements?

      Comment


        #4
        The law is much different in Scotland. Look at the Shelter website for Scotland, I find it very helpful for landlords and tenants.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by clan View Post
          My properties are in Scotland, but surely the only difference is the tenancy agreements?
          Well, the difference is in the law; which as several have pointed out, is significant: any mention of "Scotland" (or indeed, other countries) here usually provokes the knee-jerk reaction that you've experienced. However, certainly in terms of advertising, and I would have thought tenant-vetting too, I can't see that it it makes any difference at all.

          Personally I use the tenant verification service of www.rla.org.uk which is good value (£10 per person-address checked I think?) but you need to be a member.

          In terms of advertising - personally I just use the local rag which works fine for me - depends on your locality and target market though. Somebody here mentioned a good value web package a few weeks ago - maybe you can track it down via the site's "search engine" (but I use the " " advisedly ) or someone else can tell you?

          Hope you wouldn't want to buy a Rightmove advert for "several months" - if you're anticipating that long a void period you're doing something wrong!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            Well, the difference is in the law; which as several have pointed out, is significant: any mention of "Scotland" (or indeed, other countries) here usually provokes the knee-jerk reaction that you've experienced. However, certainly in terms of advertising, and I would have thought tenant-vetting too, I can't see that it it makes any difference at all.
            But that's just it. For all I (or you) know, Scots law may have its own requirements or prohibitions re advertising/tenant-vetting/anything else.

            Telling someone that you "can't see that it makes any difference at all" is not necessarily good advice, is it?
            And knees jerk for a very good reason! Problem arises if they don't.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              But that's just it. For all I (or you) know, Scots law may have its own requirements or prohibitions re advertising/tenant-vetting/anything else.
              Fair enough; however the OP was simply asking about where to approach for advertising and tenant verification, not specific details of the processes which I would certainly not attempt to get into.

              OK, maybe in Scotland there's a new law which says you're not actually allowed to advertise properties for rent, or to vet prospective tenants; however having seen rental adverts and having been vetted as a tenant myself in Scotland in the past, somehow I doubt it.

              Telling someone that you "can't see that it makes any difference at all" is not necessarily good advice, is it?
              Well, it was presented as my opinion, which it still is: I deliberately didn't say "it doesn't make any difference at all"...

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                But that's just it. For all I (or you) know, Scots law may have its own requirements or prohibitions re advertising/tenant-vetting/anything else.

                Telling someone that you "can't see that it makes any difference at all" is not necessarily good advice, is it?
                And knees jerk for a very good reason! Problem arises if they don't.

                If it makes it simpler , say my properties are in England, can anyone give me advice on the best deals for advertising and for the tenant check. I've noticed a few agency's offering a service for £50-£60 that puts your property on Rightmove etc for several months, does anyone have experience of these? Also what is the best value tenant credit check company?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Did your old letting agent take a percentage for the life of the tenancy in order to take on all the responsibility for dealing with the tenant? That can reduce profits drastically and often they have to do very little for the money. How much they actually do usually depends on the quality of the tenants that they find you and how good your property is.

                  I must admit I haven't used rightmove or vetting agencies to let my properties because I find it simpler to use a letting agent who charges a one off fee. She finds me good, usually, longterm tenants (based on the type of tenant that I would like to have) and does all the advertising & vetting for a set rate. Once they're in place, I take over and there are no further fees. I have a good relationship with my letting agent and she hasn't let me down yet, interms of finding reliable tenants. If she doesn't find me a tenant, she doesn't get paid - no matter how much advertising or how many credit checks she's done, so it's in her best interests to do a good job for me. Plus she knows I'll come back to her if I ever do need a new tenant.

                  It's just a suggestion, but I've found this is a good middle way to go.

                  Comment

                  Latest Activity

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X