Multiple issues in what we hoped would be an ideal house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple issues in what we hoped would be an ideal house.

Hello all,

We took tenancy at a property in October
    there was a few weeks between contracts being signed and us moving in, in which we noticed a bit of damp patches and leaky windows. So alerted the estate agents.

then on moving day, realised there was no power. We thought the credit meters must have ran out no, an rcd and multiple mcbs had completely melted.
    no contact from ea despite emails and calls so we had no option but to hire an electrician and bill the EA.

at that point I was happy to let the minor issues mentioned above get sorted in an as soon as convenient manner.
    as while not ideal they pose no immediate danger to us or the house.

Christmas night into boxing day however we were woken at 4am by an almighty crashing and smashing sound.
    it's a big house. And we found that the main bathroom shower screen and tiles had fallen from the wall.
    I've reported this of course
    And I've cleaned up the mess etc, luckily no damage to the bath suite or any pipework and no injuries.

Obviously though had anyone been in the bath that could have been very dangerous.
    A few tiles were left dangling so I had to remove a few myself ( they came off intact as there is absolutely zero adhesive stuck to any tile. )

We absolutely love the house for its size and we want to stay here as long term as we can, our rent is paid on time every time ( currently until February as I wanted Christmas and new year to be clear. )

We want to give the landlords as much breathing room and little hassle as we possibly can, but with issues mounting up and an estate agent who is incredibly slow at organising repairs its very frustrating.
    we have no direct details for our landlords.

We've been advised that environmental health will investigate and assist but we would like to avoid this as again we don't want to be pains to the landlord, but we would also appreciate maintenance being carried out promptly and properly.

Is there any advice you guys can offer or anything as a tenant I could do to help?
    I'm work in construction, and will happily assist with any maintenance I can, but with no direct contact with landlord I dont want to tread on toes or open cans of worms.

Thanks all

I am sorry but if you wish to stay in a house where the RCD's have melted then you need to consider what your priorites are.... having a big house or your (and your families) life.

Did you get a copy of the EICR ? I would be out of that house asap.

Comment

I would suggest you go to the EA's office and sut there until they deal with the problems.

Comment

If the RCDs have melted there is a serious problem somewhere that might lead to requiring. I wonder why the last tenants left and if they overloaded the elecs.

Comment

Sorry Guys I didn't realise there was replies.

Regards electrical work, the reason for the melted RCD and mcbs was improper termination of the busbar, unfortunately quite common, my electrician has made this safe and since , we have had no problems..

There is however a fault on one leg of the downstairs ring
          meaning our electrician had to remove the leg while the landlords carry out a full eicr

( we aren't sure if there is a current eicr on the property at all as when we requested a copy we were told a new one needs carrying out , suggesting that there is not one currently )

All my landlords have done is sent their electrician to
          "see if my electricians work was proper"
          and nothing since..

I am reluctant to pester as I really don't want to be turfed out come the end of tenancy.
          but as a tenant of course, I pay rent, I want repairs done.

If the landlord gave consent id be happy to arrange repairs with independent contractors and submit bills.
          and of course I am happy for their chosen contractors to carry out the repairs too, but it seems like it will never happen..

But without a contact for my landlord, only my EA I have to wait while middlemen go between each other.

It is frustrating, but we just want to help get things sorted as we honestly want to remain here.

I assure you all , the electrical issues were of utmost urgency and my electrician made sure he left the supply safe and signed off.

May I ask, if you were the landlord and knew these issues needed correcting, how would you react?

and if the local environmental health were to be brought in. Would that make you want to evict at opportunity?

Regards

Comment

I would not have moved into a place until it had a fully signed off EICR completed, simple as, no if's or but's. The LL sounds a little slap dash and the exact sort of person to end up on a corporate manslaughter charge should the worse happen..... and if that happened then either yourself or someone you know would end up in the morgue.

Comment

Hudson, on the inventory/contract it states..

Certificates Issue Date

Gas safety Certificate
              EPC 29.05.2020

no mention what so ever of the EICR
              And no date for the gas safety certificate.

I spoke with shelter wales and they say that in Wales that an in date EICR is not a requirement upon tenancy
              nor does the Landlord have to provide a Gas Safety Inspection Certificate.

I have no idea if that is true or not
              but I have no copy or proof of any gas certificate or EICR or EPC.

My deposit IS protected.

As far as i am aware, my landlord is quite heavily involved with the NRLA so one would have thought they would be on the ball with their properties.

This may well be the case however of a poor management by the EA and the LL being quite unaware overall of whats going on.

I always try to give the benefit of doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangepedal View Post
                I spoke with shelter wales and they say that in Wales that an in date EICR is not a requirement upon tenancy
                nor does the Landlord have to provide a Gas Safety Inspection Certificate.
                They are only half right.

Issuing an EICR is not a legal requirement in Wales (yet), but the landlord must still ensure the electrical installation safe. (and the easiest way to do that is with an EICR).
                https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...ponsibilities/

A Gas Safety Certificate is a legal requirement and a copy must be given to the tenant:
                https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...or-gas-safety/

Comment

£3 to the land registry to find the owner of the property (may not be the LL but usually is).

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                    £3 to the land registry to find the owner of the property (may not be the LL but usually is).
                    I do wish this "advice" is NOT given. It is inaccurate. LR entries (often inaccurate) are completely irrelevant. Landlords MUST provide a service address in order to receive rent. No address => No rent. simple as that. This is the only address a tenant requires.

Comment

In my case my notice address is the estate agents office.
                      I know my landlords names ( but I believe there may be multiple investors, how that translates to ownership i dont know. )

Comment

Originally posted by Orangepedal View Post
                        In my case my notice address is the estate agents office.
                        I know my landlords names ( but I believe there may be multiple investors, how that translates to ownership i dont know. )
                        The Landlord(s) MUST provide an address (England or Wales) for service which may be business or residential. The agent's address does NOT suffice. Until that address is provided, no rent is legally due. You can verify this very easily on the internet.

It is THIS address where your correspondence should go. In effect, if the agent isn't performant, they can butt out.

Comment

Very interesting!

Bare with me.. let me check my TA..
                          QUOTING..

E.

If we need to serve notice on you including any notice the law says we must give. We will deliver by hand or first class post to the property address. Notice is served when put through the letter box.

If you need to serve notice on us yiu must deliver by hand or post to.

Address
                          # estate agents office address#

F

... end

This is absolutely the only address on my TA
                          my landlord is only named at front page under..

Date....
                          This agreement is between us

Mrs landlord name

And you

My name

Rental amount
                          Etc

That is it.

All other addresses, names and contact details are SOLELY those of the estate agents email and office address.

Comment

S48 of The Landlord and Tenant Act alongside CPR 6.8 (b) is very clear about service. I see nothing in there to preclude service to an agent if permission has been given beforehand, which of course it has where it is stated as such in the TA.

Comment

Originally posted by John Duff View Post
                              Until that address is provided, no rent is legally due. You can verify this very easily on the internet.
                              Although the legislation is badly worded so that it appears that no rent is due, the actual effect is that it is due, but doesn't have to be paid until the information is provided, at which point all of the past unpaid rent has to be paid.
                              It would be interesting if it wasn't actually due!

That agreement wording meets the requirements for an address where notices can be served.
                              It would be quite interesting to see what would happen if the tenant tried to serve a summons at that address, though.
                              I can't see an agent accepting one of those.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                by Lawcruncher
                                I cannot cite an authority, but I think that that has to be void for uncertainty....
                                09-08-2022, 09:59 AM
                              • Sec 21 & Notice to Quit in same claim
                                by Carly
                                I have a dodgy LL who issues Licences to occupy instead of tenancies. He knows he's on dodgy ground and has failed to get possession against a previous person because of it. He wants me out on a no fault basis (has called me a professional tenant for daring to get him to supply hot water and other things)!...
                                18-06-2022, 14:53 PM
                              • Reply to S8 Court Hearing
                                by theartfullodger
                                Assuming this is arrears, be aware tenant may claim there are outstanding repairs to be done (you'd probably disagree..) and if judge agrees with T then arrears reduced by judge's assessment of cost of repairs.

I.e. be prepared

Why not s21 please?
                                09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
                              • S8 Court Hearing
                                by Steampigs
                                Hi All

I have a hearing scheduled to evict my tenant using a Section 8 notice.

I have lodged my claim online (PCOL), but what other documents will I require?
                                I assume:-
                                Tenancy Agreement
                                S8 and Certificate of Service
                                Updated amount of arrears
                                Details...
                                08-08-2022, 21:27 PM
                                by Lawcruncher
                                It certainly looks like a tenancy, but there has to be doubt that it is an AST. The agreement contains a clause which says: "You shall occupy...as a licensee and no relationship of landlord or tenant is created".

To repeat and expand on what I said above, schedule 2A to the Housing...
                                09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
                              • Reply to Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                by jpkeates
                                Having no tenancy agreement means that if the tenants don't leave and you go to court, you can't use the accelerated procedure.

From what you've written, the only issue seems to be the EPC.
                                09-08-2022, 09:36 AM
                              • Can I serve Section 21 Notice?
                                by Rubz2009
                                Hi was hoping for some advise.
                                I have tentants in my property on a AST agreement which started in 2013 and has been rolling to date. Tenants are behind on their rent by a couple of months (during covid times which they believe they still do not need to pay) and also always late on monthly payments...
                                08-08-2022, 18:49 PM
                              • Reply to Dps deposit
                                by artin
                                "I got the estate agents to put the deposit into my DPS account "? The agent usually transfer deposit into my bank a/c and I put it into my DPS a/c, is it possible for the agent put into your DPS account?

DPS will issue "deposit certificate" within 1-3 days, stating...
                                09-08-2022, 09:19 AM
                              • Dps deposit
                                by Jm1972
                                Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
                                08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                There's a term in the agreement that allows the landlord to increase the rent without limit at any time.

So, in theory, the tenant has already agreed to the increase.
                                And the existence of that clause means a section 13 notice can't be used (and the landlord can't admit it's a tenancy,...
                                09-08-2022, 08:37 AM
                              Working...
                              X