Multiple issues in what we hoped would be an ideal house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple issues in what we hoped would be an ideal house.

Hello all,

We took tenancy at a property in October
    there was a few weeks between contracts being signed and us moving in, in which we noticed a bit of damp patches and leaky windows. So alerted the estate agents.

then on moving day, realised there was no power. We thought the credit meters must have ran out no, an rcd and multiple mcbs had completely melted.
    no contact from ea despite emails and calls so we had no option but to hire an electrician and bill the EA.

at that point I was happy to let the minor issues mentioned above get sorted in an as soon as convenient manner.
    as while not ideal they pose no immediate danger to us or the house.

Christmas night into boxing day however we were woken at 4am by an almighty crashing and smashing sound.
    it's a big house. And we found that the main bathroom shower screen and tiles had fallen from the wall.
    I've reported this of course
    And I've cleaned up the mess etc, luckily no damage to the bath suite or any pipework and no injuries.

Obviously though had anyone been in the bath that could have been very dangerous.
    A few tiles were left dangling so I had to remove a few myself ( they came off intact as there is absolutely zero adhesive stuck to any tile. )

We absolutely love the house for its size and we want to stay here as long term as we can, our rent is paid on time every time ( currently until February as I wanted Christmas and new year to be clear. )

We want to give the landlords as much breathing room and little hassle as we possibly can, but with issues mounting up and an estate agent who is incredibly slow at organising repairs its very frustrating.
    we have no direct details for our landlords.

We've been advised that environmental health will investigate and assist but we would like to avoid this as again we don't want to be pains to the landlord, but we would also appreciate maintenance being carried out promptly and properly.

Is there any advice you guys can offer or anything as a tenant I could do to help?
    I'm work in construction, and will happily assist with any maintenance I can, but with no direct contact with landlord I dont want to tread on toes or open cans of worms.

Thanks all

I am sorry but if you wish to stay in a house where the RCD's have melted then you need to consider what your priorites are.... having a big house or your (and your families) life.

Did you get a copy of the EICR ? I would be out of that house asap.

Comment

I would suggest you go to the EA's office and sut there until they deal with the problems.

Comment

If the RCDs have melted there is a serious problem somewhere that might lead to requiring. I wonder why the last tenants left and if they overloaded the elecs.

Comment

Sorry Guys I didn't realise there was replies.

Regards electrical work, the reason for the melted RCD and mcbs was improper termination of the busbar, unfortunately quite common, my electrician has made this safe and since , we have had no problems..

There is however a fault on one leg of the downstairs ring
          meaning our electrician had to remove the leg while the landlords carry out a full eicr

( we aren't sure if there is a current eicr on the property at all as when we requested a copy we were told a new one needs carrying out , suggesting that there is not one currently )

All my landlords have done is sent their electrician to
          "see if my electricians work was proper"
          and nothing since..

I am reluctant to pester as I really don't want to be turfed out come the end of tenancy.
          but as a tenant of course, I pay rent, I want repairs done.

If the landlord gave consent id be happy to arrange repairs with independent contractors and submit bills.
          and of course I am happy for their chosen contractors to carry out the repairs too, but it seems like it will never happen..

But without a contact for my landlord, only my EA I have to wait while middlemen go between each other.

It is frustrating, but we just want to help get things sorted as we honestly want to remain here.

I assure you all , the electrical issues were of utmost urgency and my electrician made sure he left the supply safe and signed off.

May I ask, if you were the landlord and knew these issues needed correcting, how would you react?

and if the local environmental health were to be brought in. Would that make you want to evict at opportunity?

Regards

Comment

I would not have moved into a place until it had a fully signed off EICR completed, simple as, no if's or but's. The LL sounds a little slap dash and the exact sort of person to end up on a corporate manslaughter charge should the worse happen..... and if that happened then either yourself or someone you know would end up in the morgue.

Comment

Hudson, on the inventory/contract it states..

Certificates Issue Date

Gas safety Certificate
              EPC 29.05.2020

no mention what so ever of the EICR
              And no date for the gas safety certificate.

I spoke with shelter wales and they say that in Wales that an in date EICR is not a requirement upon tenancy
              nor does the Landlord have to provide a Gas Safety Inspection Certificate.

I have no idea if that is true or not
              but I have no copy or proof of any gas certificate or EICR or EPC.

My deposit IS protected.

As far as i am aware, my landlord is quite heavily involved with the NRLA so one would have thought they would be on the ball with their properties.

This may well be the case however of a poor management by the EA and the LL being quite unaware overall of whats going on.

I always try to give the benefit of doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangepedal View Post
                I spoke with shelter wales and they say that in Wales that an in date EICR is not a requirement upon tenancy
                nor does the Landlord have to provide a Gas Safety Inspection Certificate.
                They are only half right.

Issuing an EICR is not a legal requirement in Wales (yet), but the landlord must still ensure the electrical installation safe. (and the easiest way to do that is with an EICR).
                https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...ponsibilities/

A Gas Safety Certificate is a legal requirement and a copy must be given to the tenant:
                https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...or-gas-safety/

Comment

£3 to the land registry to find the owner of the property (may not be the LL but usually is).

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                    £3 to the land registry to find the owner of the property (may not be the LL but usually is).
                    I do wish this "advice" is NOT given. It is inaccurate. LR entries (often inaccurate) are completely irrelevant. Landlords MUST provide a service address in order to receive rent. No address => No rent. simple as that. This is the only address a tenant requires.

Comment

In my case my notice address is the estate agents office.
                      I know my landlords names ( but I believe there may be multiple investors, how that translates to ownership i dont know. )

Comment

Originally posted by Orangepedal View Post
                        In my case my notice address is the estate agents office.
                        I know my landlords names ( but I believe there may be multiple investors, how that translates to ownership i dont know. )
                        The Landlord(s) MUST provide an address (England or Wales) for service which may be business or residential. The agent's address does NOT suffice. Until that address is provided, no rent is legally due. You can verify this very easily on the internet.

It is THIS address where your correspondence should go. In effect, if the agent isn't performant, they can butt out.

Comment

Very interesting!

Bare with me.. let me check my TA..
                          QUOTING..

E.

If we need to serve notice on you including any notice the law says we must give. We will deliver by hand or first class post to the property address. Notice is served when put through the letter box.

If you need to serve notice on us yiu must deliver by hand or post to.

Address
                          # estate agents office address#

F

... end

This is absolutely the only address on my TA
                          my landlord is only named at front page under..

Date....
                          This agreement is between us

Mrs landlord name

And you

My name

Rental amount
                          Etc

That is it.

All other addresses, names and contact details are SOLELY those of the estate agents email and office address.

Comment

S48 of The Landlord and Tenant Act alongside CPR 6.8 (b) is very clear about service. I see nothing in there to preclude service to an agent if permission has been given beforehand, which of course it has where it is stated as such in the TA.

Comment

Originally posted by John Duff View Post
                              Until that address is provided, no rent is legally due. You can verify this very easily on the internet.
                              Although the legislation is badly worded so that it appears that no rent is due, the actual effect is that it is due, but doesn't have to be paid until the information is provided, at which point all of the past unpaid rent has to be paid.
                              It would be interesting if it wasn't actually due!

That agreement wording meets the requirements for an address where notices can be served.
                              It would be quite interesting to see what would happen if the tenant tried to serve a summons at that address, though.
                              I can't see an agent accepting one of those.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting out flat with WIFI included
                                by Saladboy
                                Hi All,

since I plan to move in with my partner and rent out my 1 bedroom, would you suggest a short term (like airbnb or similar) or a traditional 6m/1y contract rent? I’d not move the furniture so it would be furnished, and internet will be included since I’m under contract.
                                16-08-2022, 15:48 PM
                              • Bankrupty Order
                                by VictoriaH
                                How much of an adverse affect can this have on a tenant?
                                I've got a tenant who's playing the system, waiting for their eviction and CCJ
                                What adverse affect can a bankruptcy order have over a CCJ on a tenant?...
                                16-08-2022, 15:26 PM
                              • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by jpkeates
                                People will have to start paying a wage people can live on.

And if there are fewer people there, there's less support needed....
                                16-08-2022, 14:59 PM
                              • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
                                by Hudson01
                                Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
                                13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
                                by DoricPixie
                                No teachers, no nurses, no care workers, no one collecting the rubbish and recycling? Who’s going to do all those jobs in London if they heave been forced to move out....
                                16-08-2022, 14:43 PM
                              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                by Codger
                                It is upsetting to pay tax on inflation. Years ago there was a system for allowing for inflation but the tax was higher then.
                                But there is no sympathy for landlords now so we cannot do much.
                                16-08-2022, 14:13 PM
                              • Capital Gains Tax
                                by LVA
                                Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

My accountant tells me the CGT...
                                16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
                              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
                                by jpucng62
                                But you have had 20 years of rent as well as the huge gain left after CGT!...
                                16-08-2022, 14:12 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                That's a sensible point to make.

I wasn't suggesting that people gradually move further and further into the economic wilderness as things get worse!

I moved once, out of London and the South East, which is, in England, where I think the problem is.
                                People who earn "normal...
                                16-08-2022, 14:04 PM
                                by royw
                                And of course the rent has gone up because of greedy landlords and has absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand. Approx 10 million immigrants all of whom need a home but no one told the land manufacturers so we have no extra land to build millions of houses on (ditto water and food)....
                                16-08-2022, 13:57 PM
                              Working...
                              X