Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with landlord over leak /heating

Hi
    I moved into a managed let rental property at end of March. There was a small patch that I didn’t notice initially but is on the inventory on a downstairs interior wall which started to grow and I reported it early April as it looked like a leak. I was told by the landlord that they were aware of damp in the property and would be fixing the roof so hopefully that would solve it. I protested that the location of it made it very unlikely to be the roof but they kept on that they were only interested in looking after the roof was fixed in June. He told me there was a dehumidifier I could use at my expense

in May a check was done on the boiler and the engineer said the radiators weren’t working and the tank was completely full of sludge (gravity fed system) and recommended a power flush.

person finally came to look at the leak in late June which now had grown and was damp and mould growing, and spread into the lounge and kitchen which shared the wall. There was also mould growing under where I had put a mat down for my child to play to the point I had to put replacement carpet on top.

the engineer recommended leak detection and there was a delay of about 6 weeks til they could come early August. They identified the leak area and highlighted how bad the heating was due to the sludge. They quoted to fix the leak and to do the power flush. The landlord wanted to come and inspect it with his contractor but would only come early September. On the day he was meant to come I wasn’t meant to be in the house but I was unexpectedly and then they didn’t come

through the summer I managed by keeping windows open as much as possible but as autumn came I was getting worried about the leak and heating. I reported to council in September but due to the person I first dealt with suddenly no longer working there and some one else coming they haven’t inspected

i had to chase and chase and they said they needed more quotes until finally someone came to fix the leak in early November however now over 6 weeks later it seems worse. They have told me it’s just taking time to dry out but there are visible droplets of water all over the floor every day that weren’t there before. They again told me to use the dehumidifier at my expense until today they have agreed to reduce my rent by £20 a month. They won’t do anything more about it and have told me that they discussed over the phone and it’s definitely fixed. There is no improvement to the damp patches on the wall at all and I have had multiple disposable dehumidifiers in each of the room (I currently have 15 in the house all filing up)

they then arranged for a chemical flush of the radiators which was unsuccessful. I have been advised that a chemical flush Is a cheaper and more basic flush and was unlikely to work on the extent of the problem I had Throughout I have a house impossible to heat with rooms at around 15C with a small child. They have offered no solution, I have bough heaters but because the hallway is freezing cold I have to keep doors shut leading to me basically living out of one room with my daughter. They have acknowledged the flush hasn’t worked and are arranging another but it can’t be done until mid January

is there anything else I can do to get someone to look at the leak?
    given how bad the heating is and that it’s mid winter am I allowed to move out until it’s fixed?
    would it be worth seeking compensation given that other than the 6 week delay for leak detection all delays have been down to the inaction of the landlord? I have asked for consideration for a reduction in rent but it’s continuously been ignored.

Obviously if he had responded when I reported the problems they likely would have been sorted by now. I’m barely sleeping because of it and it’s been incredibly stressful, the amount of quotes and contractors I have had in has been very disruptive

i have evidence of everything and all
    communication has been via email

thanks in advance

Is this a private LL or a council/housing association property ?

Comment

Private landlord through an agent, all issues, maintenance and repairs are reported through their app

Comment

Make a formal complaint to environmental health. They will come out and inspect the property and then they will write to your landlord giving him a date to get the works done by.

Comment

Depends what outcome you want...

If it were me, I would write a letter before action to the agent AND landlord, stating that unless the issues are rectified to a satisfactory standard within 14 days then I would arrange for them to be done myself and issue proceedings to reclaim the costs, ask for costs against the landlord and further, partial or full rent for the months that led up to this being required. I'd also draft and put a copy of the court paperwork into the letter - N1 Claim form.

That ought to grease the gears...

Comment

Problem with this is that the Landlord could just send a section 21 notice if a complaint is made.

yes Landlord is useless in this case and tenant is suffering and yes no tenant would want to move in that house if S21 was given but that’s the problem with the system at the moment.

Comment

I personally would give notice to quit to landlord and rent elsewhere if you can’t buy own property.

Comment

Originally posted by mokka View Post
                I personally would give notice to quit to landlord and rent elsewhere if you can’t buy own property.
                Totally agree, most of the time the fight is simply not worth it...... move on.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I am contemplating leaving as it’s broken down beyond repair. I just was hoping it wouldn’t come to this as the area is really nice and hard to find rental property.

i had been to the council but called them again yesterday and they have got back to me. They are giving the landlord 14 days to act or else will issue an enforcement notice as they were not even able to say what the original leak was or what was done to fix it which she said was unacceptable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                    by theartfullodger
                    Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.
                    21-05-2022, 12:04 PM
                  • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                    by jpkeates
                    The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
                    That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
                    19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
                  • Reply to Ending contracts
                    by theartfullodger
                    Depends on what the agreement you have between you and agent or the terms and conditions they sent you when you started the relationship. Sadly can't read it from here.

See what it says, if you can't find anything ask agent to provide copy of such terms you agreed to.....and how/where...
                    21-05-2022, 12:02 PM
                  • Ending contracts
                    by Pineapple288
                    2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
                    21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
                  • Reply to Noise from rented property
                    by zcacogp
                    Thanks for the help everyone. We've made (indirect) contact with the landlord who has been helpful, which is great. The council will be the next port of call if things don't sort themselves out.

Interestingly, the local university (Alma Mater of the students in question) seems to take...
                    21-05-2022, 10:50 AM
                  • Noise from rented property
                    by zcacogp
                    Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
                    18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
                  • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
                    by boletus
                    List here (I've not checked if it's accurate or up to date e.g EICR);

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...the-first-time
                    21-05-2022, 10:49 AM
                  • Checks foe a Newbie
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello good people. I am currently in the process of buying my first BTL house. There is already a tenant, so I don't need to find one.

Can any anyone point me to a check list of 'must do legally', and also 'highly advised', please? I 've done my research but there's nothing like hearing...
                    20-05-2022, 16:33 PM
                    by AVJ113
                    Is there no one here who is prepared to present a list of a landlord's obligations (and highly advisable actions) upon a new tenancy, based on there own experience?

As I said I am already buying a house and there is a tenant in situ....
                    21-05-2022, 10:44 AM
                    by Another Fine Mess
                    Fortunately in the Uk (Scotland may be different) any house purchase is "Subject to Contract" which means that at any time you can change your mind. so if you have second thoughts you can back out.
                    I would also say that even if you have signed a contract, and before completion, you...
                    21-05-2022, 10:24 AM
                  Working...
                  X