EPC Energy Certificates - stuck at C (what about 2028?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC Energy Certificates - stuck at C (what about 2028?)

Hi,

I've been looking at EPC Energy Certificate reports online for various properties to potentially purchase.

I noticed that some older properties have a current energy rating of C. However, after suggested improvements they remain in the C category (according to the report).

By 2025 I understand that let property must be C. And by 2028 they must be B.

Does that mean some older C category properties (which have hit a ceiling according to their respective report) will become duds by 2028 and unsellable?

Many thanks,

Shaun

The proposed legislation, as yet unconfirmed, is that for new tenancies the EPC must be a C by 2025 or possibly 2026 & that by 2028 all tenancies will require an EPC C. There is no date yet for EPC B.

Any property that does not have a recent EPC may find the rating changes when it is redone as the algorithm changes regularly.

The Govt is proposing that all mortgage companies get their average lending portfolio to a C so it may become harder to get a mortgage on a property below a C in the future but this is just talk at the moment.

Bottom line, only buy something that is comfortably a C or can easily get there - ie CWI, GCH, DG.

Comment

A rating on B would be extremely difficult to obtain on some properties, this may be applied on new builds. In any case i would suggest if you purchasing a property, then as long it has an E rating don't do anything, as the proposal may be that if you want a C you need to spend at least 10k so I would wait until then and spend the money, as if you spend it now and the legislation comes in you may have to make an additional payment of 10k.

Comment

If it did ever go to a B i would suggest that most of the BTL properties in the UK would be un-letable. It will kill the whole PRS.

The current method for the caluclation of the rating is so far out of whack with reality that we see properties that were a D becoming an E and a C becoming a D..... It is all over the place at the moment, I would only look at something that is already a C but that does not guarantee it will stay that way when it is re-assessed !!!!

I await the govt to decide what will happen then i will make my decision on what to do...... it is looking like i will be selling all my properties.

Comment

I wonder what the legality of the ECPs are? Assuming you are a D and on paper, you are struggling to get a C.

Would you be taken to COURT. If so, would the case simply be thrown out because landlord argues, for example, the kitchen extn ceiling is insulated. Where as the report has reduced the rating by stating 'assumed' no insulation.

In some situations, I can't help but think EPCs aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Comment

Claymore,

I think you just get a fine of up to £30k from your LA.

Its not about the truth, its about the piece of paper you hold!

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
              Its not about the truth, its about the piece of paper you hold!
              Exactly, in the end we cannot fight this, if the govt decides it's a C (for now) then just like any other business we as owners have to decide if the return on our investment justifies spending X thousands of pounds retro fitting all manner of insulation and at the same time re-housing the tenant whilst the works takes place .... or...... we sell and and cash in.

Each of us will have a different viewpoint and of course be in a different place in our lives (retirment coming up etc). I will be selling but i respect others views if it works out for them.

Comment

Looking at the amount of houses that we have, we can not afford to pay 10k per house to bring them to a C from a D, so some will have to be sold. Most houses are in Yorkshire, so that is over 2 years rent for each house!!! I think that Boris the clown only sees London and forgets about the rest of the country. I really hope that what is left of the Tory party kiks hiss ass out of the door soon. He is a total idiot. How can this clown be in charge of the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie2020 View Post
                  . He is a total idiot. How can this clown be in charge of the UK?
                  Because a large number of idiot voters made it possible for him to be the PM.

Also keep in mind that even if Boris is not the '' Boss '' the labour party will not change this aspect of the PRS, there are net zero targets to meet and as LL's we are right in the firing line, a change of party or leader will not change this outcome...... i do feel our time is up, and only those with the very energy efficient properties will make it, for the rest of us it is a case of being realistic and cashing in.
                  Last edited by Hudson01; 24-12-2021, 20:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

We now need a referendum on net zero lets call it nexit!

Comment

"Does that mean some older C category properties (which have hit a ceiling according to their respective report) will become duds by 2028 and unsellable?"

I don't think they will become unsellable but I think the market will be flooded with 'duds' by 2028 and for years after as landlords sell and due to the amount of time it takes to evict a tenant.

I expect there to be a housing crash with typical Victorian terraced houses (2 up 2 downs) becoming dirt cheap, leading to people such as first time buyers buying one of them and doing it up before moving to the next category up (e.g. an older 3 bed semi). This will lead to 3 bed semis falling in price due to them being less financially desirable, leading to the next category up (e.g. a more modern 3 bed semi) falling in price.... and so on.

Where are the tenants of the 'duds' going to live? Who knows? Overcrowding relatives and friends houses? Living in tents like you see in America? I'm sure some tenants will buy their rental which is good for them, but the most vulnerable tenants will be homeless and it will be the fault of the governments ill thought out legislation.

I feel a big rant coming on now..... grrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                        I don't think they will become unsellable but I think the market will be flooded with 'duds' by 2028 and for years after as landlords sell and due to the amount of time it takes to evict a tenant.

I feel a big rant coming on now..... grrrrrrrrr.
                        Not unsellable at all but the trick for the smart LL is to avoid the '' flood '', so i will not be leaving it until 2028, i am pencilling in 2026 for the sale of my first and then one a year after.

No big rant from me, the market has changed and is changing..... you either adapt or die, but in this scenario the adaption for me is to evict and sell, as i expect it to be for many thousands of other small LL's. I will be speaking with my tenants in 2025 getting them up to speed with my intentions and given what i know of them i doubt a section 21 (or whatever is around then) will be needed, they will look for something else and move.... but god knows where too and at what price !!!
                        Last edited by Hudson01; 26-12-2021, 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My first Victorian Terrace goes on the market in Jan with 2 more to follow when tenants leave (or are asked to!). Electric properties will be next - unless the new EPC algorithm makes them lettable.

The ironic thing is, my daughter lives in her own three bed Victorian Terrace, new boiler & rads but no extra insulation, and her bills are £75pcm with approx £200 overspend each year. Now I know fuel bills are about to jump, but my point is that she can live in her house quite comfortably & cheaply, despite it being an EPC D. My tenant, in a modern house with EPC C walks around in a T shirt all winter and even has the heating on in the summer. So regardless of what the EPC is, the carbon emissions is about how the heating is used not what the piece of paper says. It is entirely possible to live in a Victorian Terrace without destroying the planet but it is not possible to get the housing stock to EPC C without destroying the PRS!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                            by jpkeates
                            You have rights under consumer law if there were things that would have led you (or any reasonable person) to make a different purchasing decision that you were not advised of.
                            It's called a misleading omission.
                            The legislation that covers it is Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations...
                            07-07-2022, 13:52 PM
                          • Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                            by A.Renter
                            I started renting a ‘studio apartment’ (i.e. a bedsit) in January this year in a three-storey 1930s block – residents are a mix of renters and leaseholders. I am considering asking for rent reduction due to two main issues:
                            1. Upon moving in I noticed that there is no way to turn off the radiator, as
                            06-07-2022, 16:41 PM
                          • Reply to Choosing tenants
                            by ash72
                            Based on the information, I would pick the one with the highest salary, as they will be able to afford the property and the costs of running the property. If you haven't already I would ask them why they are leaving the property they are currently renting - this provides good insight.

And...
                            07-07-2022, 13:51 PM
                          • Choosing tenants
                            by annam222
                            Hi all,
                            I advertised my flat on OpenRent (for the first time) and received 90 viewing requests in a few days (I have removed the advert now).
                            I set up an automated reply to all enquires with a list of 10 questions, then picked five potential tenants that ticked all the boxes. I called all...
                            07-07-2022, 13:09 PM
                          • Reply to Evicted and left a few bits
                            by jpkeates
                            Not unless there's a right of offset in the tenancy agreement.
                            There's no general right to offset in English law.

In reality, if the landlord did sell the belongings and claim the proceeds were to recover the cost of disposal (which the bailee is entitled to do), the tenant would...
                            07-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                          • Evicted and left a few bits
                            by betsy2040
                            I been evicted today and I’ve left a few bits of stuff ,

marble table and dining chairs , mattress 2 sofas ect ect boxes of stuff , curtains , few boxes of clothes and shoes , and sideboards and all my garden stuff

How long have I got to remove all this?...
                            06-07-2022, 18:56 PM
                          • Reply to Renters reform bill
                            by jpkeates
                            Magna Carta doesn't apply to us common people.

Your right to private property is in the Human Rights Act, though.
                            And, ironically, our best protection is likely to be the amount of property that is owned by non-UK citizens, particularly companies.
                            07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                          • Renters reform bill
                            by flyingfreehold
                            i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                            04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Can't see any problem with asking for bank statements and landlord references from all of them right now. Also visit them in their current homes if possible. Don't be unfair and lead them on however - explain clearly that they are one of three possible candidates out of 90. Ask for copies of their current...
                            07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            It depends. I have been picking people who I know (99.9%) will NOT want to stay in the UK for very long. Long term UK-based renters - way too much risk (of later imposed very low rates of rent, enforced property sales from some later lunatic government...).

Length of stay is a relatively...
                            07-07-2022, 13:39 PM
                          Working...
                          X