Landlord refusing to return overpaid rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    A deed is useful, but it's not essential, you can have a surrender without one.
    If someone decides to dispute it?

Comment

Wow, he has acted with no honor, as said above, the signing of the newest tenancy was a mistake, but lesson learnt i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TenantOnTheEdge View Post

The numerous nasty messages were him telling me I have to redecorate the entire house - which I did at my own cost, even though the original agreement was that I would only have to make good the 2 bedrooms I had previously decorated (with permission). Him telling me I’m liable for the entire carpet replacement - which I don’t accept as I was there for 8.5 years and this is wear and tear, and him demanding I pay his agency fees for a year for the new tenant - which I refused but agreed to pay them until May when my tenancy would have ended.
        He is also receiving £250pcm (£1850) more than I was paying.
        Well the carpet is rubbish, but your reimbursement of agency fees may be a perfectly reasonable part of a surrender agreement (and should be part of that in a terminated tenancy).

The problem we all have is that we cannot see the full correspondence and deed signed (if any) so we don't really know how much of what you say is an actual agreement, or an agreement in principle pending other things. If there was a signed written agreement, post it up here please.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

If someone decides to dispute it?
          The landlords actions confirm there was a surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post

The landlords actions confirm there was a surrender.
            Yes my response was a general one. The L may have surrendered by virtue of sticking a tenant in there, but the terms of that surrender are unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              Yes my response was a general one. The L may have surrendered by virtue of sticking a tenant in there, but the terms of that surrender are unknown.
              Yes, without a deed, that's clearly a risk.
              My point was more along the lines of "while it's a good idea to have a document confirming the terms of the surrender, it's possible to have a surrender without one" than suggesting it was a good idea.

In the same way that it's possible to have a tenancy without a written agreement, but I wouldn't do that.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Long term "guest"
                by DoricPixie
                I don’t see how you can legally prevent the tenant having a guest stay for 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months. It’s the tenant’s home, she has exclusive occupation of the property. At best you could issue a Section 8 using ground 12 for breach of contract but that’s a discretionary ground for eviction...
                20-01-2022, 20:26 PM
              • Long term "guest"
                by Ollie2000
                Hi,

I have a very small flat let out to a single tenant. The tenancy agreement states the maximum number of occupants as one.

The tenant now wants her mother to stay with her as a guest for several months (she would have nowhere else to stay as she is not a UK resident). ...
                20-01-2022, 13:21 PM
              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                by Hollywood
                "Typical yearly saving £22.00"
                That EPC was done May 2021, My neighbouring property (identical) done in Nov 2021 no mention of device
                20-01-2022, 20:18 PM
              • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                by AVJ113
                Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
              • Reply to Auction or try to sell in an estate agent
                by Prospero
                Thanks - next door is unfortunately the property owner. I think for my peace of mind I will need to auction . Is it best to go via one of the sell your house for cash companies or approach an auction house myself?...
                20-01-2022, 20:00 PM
              • Auction or try to sell in an estate agent
                by Prospero
                During the last year or so, the mental health has deteriorated of the neighbour to my rental property. Two tenants have moved out due to the noise made by this person. After the first tenant moved out last year, I tried to sell the property, but the buyer withdrew when they heard that my neighbour was...
                20-01-2022, 18:01 PM
              • Occupational rent to an executor.
                by Yoda 111
                I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
              • Reply to Tenant would like loft conversion - dilemma
                by gnvqsos
                Loft conversions are often executed without adhering to buikding regs,and what qualifications does your builder have.Most builders are qualified in one trade only and some are unqualified.A good builder would normally own ther house and not rely on renting.
                20-01-2022, 19:33 PM
              • Tenant would like loft conversion - dilemma
                by davver79
                Hi, I am looking for some advice please.

I am discussing with my tenant the possibility of a loft conversion on our 2 bed terraced, making it into a 3 bed for his family. He is an experienced builder so has offered to do the work. I'm considering getting the work done, but my concern is...
                20-01-2022, 09:22 AM
              • Reply to Flat inspection
                by gnvqsos
                You could invite the inspector to offer feedback with 24 hours.
                20-01-2022, 19:26 PM
              Working...
              X