Letting a house with a woodstove - is a lined chimney essential for a let property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islandgirl
    replied
    I agree - multi fuel stoves are wonderful things. Just ensure it is safe and your property will be much more attractive to tenants.

Leave a comment:

• banner257
    replied
    If anyone is thinking of installing a stove, I would say install a multi fuel stove not just a wood stove. Timber can be expensive in comparison to coal, also consider getting a stove which draughts away the smoke from the glass door.

Leave a comment:

• 1600e
    replied
    Not just chimney fires but gasses leaking through porus brick joints into bedrooms above can be another issue.
    I did a smoke test on my own property before fitting a liner and it poured out in the attic space.

Leave a comment:

• inthelandlordzone
    replied
    Hi, Thanks for your responses....

in terms of strict legal compliance, it seems that yes, we need compliance with building regs....but if you look at the rules on building regs, it seems that they only apply to newly built properties, and arent' retrospective.

If there were further strict regs on this, someone would probably have encountered them, or been able to google them, i presume.

Having said all of the above, i'm going to get it done anyway, because it reduces risk of a chimney fire

thanks very much

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post

really? Can you give us legislation please (provided it is professionally fitted)
    https://www.hetas.co.uk/consumer/regulations/

Leave a comment:

• scampicat
    replied
    https://www.hetas.co.uk/consumer/cer...of-compliance/

We got one of these with our woodburner installation in 2015, which says it complies with relevant buiding regulations. I don't know whether it is compulsory.

We also had one when the stove was installed in our previous house and had to provide it when the house was sold.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    Installing a wood burner requires building regs - if you don't have this letting it out might cause problems.
    really? Can you give us legislation please (provided it is professionally fitted)

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I would also remove the stove before letting.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Installing a wood burner requires building regs - if you don't have this letting it out might cause problems.

Leave a comment:

• royw
    replied
    Whether it's legally required or not I would either put one in or (preferably) remove the stove. Less likely to get a chimney fire with a liner and you don't know how clueless your T will be. Assume you know you need a CO alarm?

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Putting in a woodburner allowed me to rent a difficult property to fill because we have no mains gas...as for the regs why not call a local company which specializes in fitting them and ask their advice?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Maybe tell them the woodstove is just for decoration. Otherwise you'll get ingenious fools poisoning themselves.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...28#post1179128

Leave a comment:

• Letting a house with a woodstove - is a lined chimney essential for a let property?

Hi,
    I'm considering letting a house out that has a woodstove used for heating (alongside another conventional heating system).

Apparently the chimney isn't lined...though it has been used fine for years in it's current setup.

but i'm not clear whether the requirement for a lined chimney is essential for any let property

OR if it is only a building regs requirement for a newly built house, and therefore is ok for a building that is older and already has one installed.

Is compliance with building regs all that is required (and therefore may not be needed in this case), or is it always essential for a let property?

Thanks very much if you know the rules re: woodstove for a let property?

with kind regards

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
    by theartfullodger
    Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.
    21-05-2022, 12:04 PM
  • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
    by jpkeates
    The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
    That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
    19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
  • Reply to Ending contracts
    by theartfullodger
    Depends on what the agreement you have between you and agent or the terms and conditions they sent you when you started the relationship. Sadly can't read it from here.

See what it says, if you can't find anything ask agent to provide copy of such terms you agreed to.....and how/where...
    21-05-2022, 12:02 PM
  • Ending contracts
    by Pineapple288
    2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
    21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
  • Reply to Noise from rented property
    by zcacogp
    Thanks for the help everyone. We've made (indirect) contact with the landlord who has been helpful, which is great. The council will be the next port of call if things don't sort themselves out.

Interestingly, the local university (Alma Mater of the students in question) seems to take...
    21-05-2022, 10:50 AM
  • Noise from rented property
    by zcacogp
    Hi,

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
    18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
  • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
    by boletus
    List here (I've not checked if it's accurate or up to date e.g EICR);

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...the-first-time
    21-05-2022, 10:49 AM
  • Checks foe a Newbie
    by AVJ113
    Hello good people. I am currently in the process of buying my first BTL house. There is already a tenant, so I don't need to find one.

Can any anyone point me to a check list of 'must do legally', and also 'highly advised', please? I 've done my research but there's nothing like hearing...
    20-05-2022, 16:33 PM
    by AVJ113
    Is there no one here who is prepared to present a list of a landlord's obligations (and highly advisable actions) upon a new tenancy, based on there own experience?

As I said I am already buying a house and there is a tenant in situ....
    21-05-2022, 10:44 AM
    by Another Fine Mess
    Fortunately in the Uk (Scotland may be different) any house purchase is "Subject to Contract" which means that at any time you can change your mind. so if you have second thoughts you can back out.
    I would also say that even if you have signed a contract, and before completion, you...
    21-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Working...
X