Are they my lodgers or tenants?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DPT57
    I don't think its clear cut as to whether they have become AST tenants or remain lodgers, (either licensee or basic tenant). If you intend to try to evict them as lodgers, then I think you should take legal advice that you can rely on in case they force you to go to court.

    Leave a comment:

  • AndrewDod
    It is fairly critical whether the logging agreement specifically involved just one room and shared parts, or was vague enough that they can now exclude you.

    Leave a comment:

  • bobthebuilder2
    you really should stay there more and dont notify them you are coming over, you dont need to and it could make it seem like you have moved out and given them a tenancy. they may actually fight you with the council over eviction because of it.
    chances are they arent really trying to find somewhere else because what they have now is really good for them.

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    I'd move back in, wait a few months and persuade them to leave.
    There's a real risk that they've become tenants, but it would take a court to resolve that.

    If they're actually friends, they'll want to stay but agree to move on.
    But there's a reasonable chance that they won't turn out to be as good friends as you originally thought.

    Leave a comment:

  • ash72
    Did you serve the "friends" the right paperwork at the start? For next time make sure you know what your doing before doing it. It may have been better just to have them "living on the couch".

    You may have invalided any mortgage or insurance policy you may have as well.

    Leave a comment:

  • theartfullodger
    Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

    How many occupants do you have please?

    Leave a comment:

  • Livingonaprayer
    started a topic Are they my lodgers or tenants?

    Are they my lodgers or tenants?

    Hi all.
    I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
    Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and as I (and my dog) could stay with my boyfriend I did. Asking them to try and find somewhere else to live in the interim, (though as they were my friends, and living with the boyf had been v successful I stupidly said no rush).
    I still go to the house regularly, a lot of my stuff is still there, and I like to garden so do often. As time has gone on, I have taken more personal items from house away, and out of courtesy I do let them know if popping over/entering house.

    I haven't slept there for months so wondering how the tenancy is legally classed?

    In terms of tax I charge them a very reasonable £400/month so was well under the rent a room limit.

    Probably because of this they do seemed to of rooted themselves now, and I am wondering about formally giving notice. I want to be legally correct. Their agreement is 1 month, but thinking as I don't really live there now do I have offer more?

    I would like to move back, and some want to break any laws, but similarly don't want to see my friends out on street.

    Thanks in advance if any information

Latest Activity


  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
    by Renterthedragon
    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

    I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

    Approaching the end...
    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by ash72
    I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

    Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
    18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by flyingfreehold
    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hooper
    I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
    18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hudson01
    This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
    18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
  • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by Hudson01
    As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
    18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
  • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
    by Forgetmeknot
    I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
    so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
    18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
  • Reply to Let a house to local council
    by ram
    If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

    It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
    18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
  • Let a house to local council
    by r3drum

    Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

    Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
    20-11-2019, 11:58 AM