Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codger
    replied
    My only dog owning tenant has caused a plague of cockroaches by leaving pet food out on the floor 24/7.it is har d to poison the bugs without getting the dog!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
    You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
    Shows how negative I've become, I meant to say that I would!

I'm generally with islandgirl , pet owning tenants tend to stay for ages and either they keep the place spotless or stay long enough that I'd have to re-carpet and paint anyway.

Dog poo on a lawn takes about 2 months to vanish into the ground (even if you refuse to pick it up) and only female dog wee damages grass and it usually grows back in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    I allow them. It is a risk - one tenant stretched the descriiption and put a pony in the garden. But if you get a good dog owning tenant they stick with you and really do take care of the house as they know so few LL allow dogs and they wish to hold onto the property,

Leave a comment:

• landlord-man
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    I’d say something like ‘ I’m sorry to have to decline your request due to damage caused by dogs in the past. I will , however, be able to give you an excellent landlord reference should you decide to move to a property that allows pets’.
    lol that's even more blunt than I ever am.

"if you don't like it let me help you pack"

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I’d say no. Every tenant with a dog has caused damage and left poo on the lawn and bald patches where wee has killed the grass. I’m assuming it’s the dog not the tenant that’s guilty! A puppy will more than likely chew door frames etc. And have accidents on your carpets. I’d say something like ‘ I’m sorry to have to decline your request due to damage caused by dogs in the past. I will , however, be able to give you an excellent landlord reference should you decide to move to a property that allows pets’.

Leave a comment:

• royw
    replied
    What does your AST say about it?

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
    You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.

Leave a comment:

• landlord-man
    replied
    Wherever you want.

You decide - but if your property is leasehold then cjeck that too.

95% of landlords on here would probably warn against it.

Leave a comment:

• Bridge2020
    started a topic Dogs

Dogs

My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X