Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help please...

Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement (I have asked the Estate Agents to add an amendment to the existing agreement if the tenants agree which I'm sure they will).

I have asked for the below information from the estate agents, being a newbie Landlord I now know i should have got this information before the tenants moved in.

1) A copy of the signed / dated tenancy agreement.

2) A copy of the signed / dated inventory.

3) A copy of the signed / dated proof of service for the gas safety certificate, electrical certificate, How to Rent Guide, DPS deposit details, my details given to the tenant and the EPC certificate all given to the Tenants at the start of tenancy.

Q1) Is there anything else i should be asking for from the estate agents please?

Q2) Is it better to amend the existing tenancy agreement or start a new one? there all AST tenancies which were for six months and are now on a rolling monthly basis now.

Thank you for reading and thank you of any help received...

That looks pretty complete.
    There's a good checklist at the start of the government's model tenancy agreement.
    You can cross check it with the section 21 checklist on the nearly legal website.

Unless there are lots of references in the tenancy agreement to the agent, I'd simply keep the same agreement (provided you get everything you have asked for).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Was there a security deposit, you will need to transfer this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        =Unless there are lots of references in the tenancy agreement to the agent, I'd simply keep the same agreement (provided you get everything you have asked for) .
        Thank you for your time and reply very grateful.

If the tenancy agreement had to be changed would i need to issue all these documents again and if i don't get proof of service from the estate agents should i issue them again?

Thank you for your help...

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
          Was there a security deposit, you will need to transfer this as well.
          Hi Ash

Thank you very much for your reply and i am getting this sent over to the dps account i have set up the estate agents told me to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by john19 View Post
            If the tenancy agreement had to be changed would i need to issue all these documents again and if i don't get proof of service from the estate agents should i issue them again?
            I would, just on the belt and braces basis.

The issue will be that your new tenancy will be a follow on or replacement tenancy and the prescribed information relating to the deposit has a deadline relating to the original receipt of the deposit.
            You'd ideally want some evidence that there was a Gas Safety certificate was in place when the tenancy began, even if you can't show that the tenant had a copy.
            If the agent is currently holding the deposit they'll have to pass that to you so you'll have to protect it again and issue the Prescribed Information again anyway.

None of this really matters unless you want to use a section 21 notice to evict the tenant or the tenant tries to make a claim for not protecting the deposit correctly.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply and all make sense, after reading here on this forum and on the net over the last few days; what I have learnt is do as much as you can to cover yourself just incase you need to issue a section 8 or section 21 notice.

Not sure I'm going over the top but might even get the tenants to confirm receipt of the yearly gas cert.

Thank you to everyone for there time.

Comment

You might also ask for a copy of their original references unless you have the report already.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                  You might also ask for a copy of their original references unless you have the report already.
                  Thank you for your reply and will ask them for them as well...

Comment

Hello All,

The estate agents are now saying we don't need to change the existing tenancy agreement (the estate agents originally said this would need to be changed to a new agreement as their details were on existing agreement).

The existing AST tenancy agreement shows me as the landlord with my address and email and shows the estate agents as the acting agent and shows there address "c/o" and there address and my name in a couple of places and the estate agents banking details for the standing order.

Is the tenancy agreement ok to leave the same give the above?

The things I believe I need to do now are to :-

1) Let the tenants know when the DPS deposit arrives into my DPS account and give them the details; I was just going to email them this?

2) Send via email the details of my banking details (this has already been done by email by the estate agents and they said this has been confirmed with the tenants in emails) I'm double doing this.

Is there anything else I need to do please?

Thank you very much in advance for all help received.

Comment

Originally posted by john19 View Post
                      Hello All,

The estate agents are now saying we don't need to change the existing tenancy agreement (the estate agents originally said this would need to be changed to a new agreement as their details were on existing agreement).

Is the tenancy agreement ok to leave the same give the above?
                      It's up to you, there was never any need to issue a new tenancy agreement, it was always a belt and braces issue.
                      Write to the tenant and confirm that these sections are no longer relevant.

1) Let the tenants know when the DPS deposit arrives into my DPS account and give them the details; I was just going to email them this?
                      You need to give the tenants the Prescribed Information, not "the details" and they have to have to opportunity to sign them to confirm that they have seen and agreed them (that's optional and lots of tenants don't).
                      I don't think that email meets that last requirement - as you can't sign an email without printing it out, and many people dont have any way of printing things out.

Is there anything else I need to do please?
                      Personally, I'd stop relying on email and start sending things through the post or handing them over personally.

Comment

Thank you all very much for all your help...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                          by propster717
                          Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                          6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                          Tenant 1
                          Tenant 2
                          (No children)
                          Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                          20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                        • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                          by Jon66
                          I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                          20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                        • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by jpucng62
                          The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                          20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                        • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                          by rapid111111
                          Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                          The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                          20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                          by davetg
                          I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                          1) Never let to people on benefits.
                          2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                          3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                          20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                        • Reply to Possession hearing
                          by davetg
                          The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                          20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                        • Possession hearing
                          by Gizmo1959
                          I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                          Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                          Thanks
                          20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                          by doobrey
                          +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                          20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                        • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                          by AVJ113
                          Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                          20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                        • Reply to Possession hearing
                          by Gizmo1959
                          Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                          Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                          20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                        Working...
                        X