Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Repayments From Covid Payment Holiday

Hi,
    I am looking for guidance on whether there is a deadline for tenants to repay their 3 month payment holiday during covid ? I have read the govt information which indicates that between tenant and landlord a repayment plan is to be agreed but I have held off pushing this to ensure my tenants are in a more financially stable position but conscious if there is deadline legally. They are also moving out so want to ensure the process is at least initiated but the govt advice seems a little generic. Any advice appreciated.

There's no statutory deadline, it would depend on what you agreed with your tenants.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What was the written agreement between you and the tenant when you gave them the holiday?

Comment

There was nothing official it was a suggestion, as LL's who had mortgages were given the holiday from their provider. It all depends upon what you had agreed with your T, and the payment plan.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

A few people said it would be helpful to get an idea of the prices involved, and I can provide these:

- First annual tenancy: £1500 pcm
          - Second annual tenancy: £1300 pcm
          - For the third year, the agent says the landlord...
          19-05-2022, 09:22 AM
        • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
          18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by DoricPixie
          I'm guessing your landlord has used ground 8 for the Section 8 so your goal is to get the arrears under 2 months (assuming your rent is due monthly) by counter-claiming. Ben Reeves over at the Landlord Law Blog seems to think it is possible to counter-claim for damages to bring the arrears below the...
          19-05-2022, 09:19 AM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
          by Lawcruncher
          In a case where the deposit protection rules do not apply how a deposit is dealt with depends on the terms on which it is held. What does the tenancy agreement or other relevant document say?
          19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
        • Is my estate agent misleading me?
          by abimsalabim
          I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
          18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by Another Fine Mess
          I will never again rent to a family as my property is unsuitable.
          My first two tenants did not have any issue with damp.
          Then I rented it to a family where at the start of the tenancy the lady had a baby.
          Then a about 2 months later they started complaining to the Letting Agent about...
          19-05-2022, 09:14 AM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          by jpkeates
          You might find a sympathetic judge.

But you have to consider what you're trying to argue.
          If you'd been in a car crash and were in hospital and unable to work, that wouldn't be a defence to not paying rent owed.
          You're trying to argue that it was the landlord driving the car...
          19-05-2022, 09:01 AM
          by Forgetmeknot
          Thankyou for your replies.

Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
          One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
          19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
        Working...
        X