who's repsponsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who's repsponsibility

Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded saying" Yes that's how it looked in July when we took occupation but it has since grown since then (lol) and the storm last week has knocked it over causing it to obstruct the front door.
    I informed them that the gardening clause in the lease required them to weed prune etc and that looking at the inventory photo i dont understand how anything could cause obstruction unless they have obviously not done any pruning, weeding etc at all during their 18 months occupation. The tenant is arguing that they prefer to just let the front grow out in the summer and then die off in the winter and the storm caused this damage before the offending plant has died off in the winter !
    Please tell me they can not be serious and they are at fault here

No one's at fault.
    That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
    There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.

Comment

In 18 months did you not do any inspections of the property? As long as they live there and the maintenance of the front and back of the garden is included they need to sort it out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X