Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of tenancy questions

Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course want their renewal fees etc). Tenants are fine for the most part, paid rent on time, no major issues so ideally would prefer to keep them on. But market rents are quite a bit higher than what they pay currently (property is in South London so was affected by poor demand early in the year, now rents are back to normal levels).

I expect the agent to discuss with the tenants shortly about renewal etc. They know I am expecting the rent to be raised so this will be communicated. My questions are:

1) If tenants don't agree to the rent increase and/or agree to leave at the end of the tenancy, do I still need to serve section 21 notice?

2) If they don't leave by the end of the fixed term (even though section 21 was issued or was agreed with tenants they would leave) can I charge the higher rent for the months they stay after the end of the tenancy? In which case I need to serve section 13 as well and at which point? Or does a section 21 notice include what happens to rent if tenants decide to ignore the section 21?

3) What are the timings for all of this? If a section 21 or 13 need to be served, when can they be served / how much notice needs to be given? The AST doesn't mention any notice period. I imagine because this is governed by general law anyway.

Thanks

To increase rent you usually give them 1 months notice, to serve notice you give them 2 months notice.

1. If they serve notice and you or the agent accepts their notice to leave, then normally a T leaves, some however do not, and you would need to serve notice on them. The way the T doesn't agree to the rent increase is that they either communicate it or they simply do not pay the new rent.

2. You can charge the new rent, even if they don't pay, this would then become arrears. S13 is formalising the rent increase.

3. as above 1 month for rent increase, 2 months for notice to be served.

You should communicate it with the agent and let them deal with the T, don't get involved if you have given them the task to do it. If you haven't and are doing it yourself, then communicate with them so they are aware of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
      1. If they serve notice and you or the agent accepts their notice to leave, then normally a T leaves, some however do not, and you would need to serve notice on them
      If the tenant serves valid notice and doesn’t leave, the landlord doesn’t need to serve notice, they can go straight to court to evict.

I am not sure where this thread has come from, when a fixed term ends, the lease carries on. There’s usually no expectation (outside student lets), that a fixed term is anything other than a start point.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?

Comment

Originally posted by leasee123 View Post
          But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
          You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent.
            So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?

Comment

Originally posted by leasee123 View Post
              So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?
              It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

The section 21 notice makes your intentions clearer and allows you to take court action to take back possession of your property if the tenant doesn't move out.
              A section 13 notice puts the rent up (assuming the tenant doesn't successfully appeal to a tribunal). But it makes the purpose of the section 21 less clear.

Comment

If what you're trying to achieve is a maximum 6 or 12 month let with a guarantee that they will leave, then that's impossible to guarantee and you shouldn't let the property in the first place. For tenants who have nowhere else to go or who simply refuse to leave the eviction process is up to a year at the moment, depending on the area they're in.

Comment

No, don't need to have the property back.

What I am concerned about is if the tenants don't leave by any agreed date (whether or not a section 21 had been sent) then will I be able to claim the "market" rent for the time they stayed beyond the end of the current fixed term.

That is why I am asking if it is advisable to submit a section 13 in any case to protect myself?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Long term "guest"
                    by DoricPixie
                    I don’t see how you can legally prevent the tenant having a guest stay for 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months. It’s the tenant’s home, she has exclusive occupation of the property. At best you could issue a Section 8 using ground 12 for breach of contract but that’s a discretionary ground for eviction...
                    20-01-2022, 20:26 PM
                  • Long term "guest"
                    by Ollie2000
                    Hi,

I have a very small flat let out to a single tenant. The tenancy agreement states the maximum number of occupants as one.

The tenant now wants her mother to stay with her as a guest for several months (she would have nowhere else to stay as she is not a UK resident). ...
                    20-01-2022, 13:21 PM
                  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by Hollywood
                    "Typical yearly saving £22.00"
                    That EPC was done May 2021, My neighbouring property (identical) done in Nov 2021 no mention of device
                    20-01-2022, 20:18 PM
                  • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                    20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                  • Reply to Auction or try to sell in an estate agent
                    by Prospero
                    Thanks - next door is unfortunately the property owner. I think for my peace of mind I will need to auction . Is it best to go via one of the sell your house for cash companies or approach an auction house myself?...
                    20-01-2022, 20:00 PM
                  • Auction or try to sell in an estate agent
                    by Prospero
                    During the last year or so, the mental health has deteriorated of the neighbour to my rental property. Two tenants have moved out due to the noise made by this person. After the first tenant moved out last year, I tried to sell the property, but the buyer withdrew when they heard that my neighbour was...
                    20-01-2022, 18:01 PM
                  • Occupational rent to an executor.
                    by Yoda 111
                    I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                    20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant would like loft conversion - dilemma
                    by gnvqsos
                    Loft conversions are often executed without adhering to buikding regs,and what qualifications does your builder have.Most builders are qualified in one trade only and some are unqualified.A good builder would normally own ther house and not rely on renting.
                    20-01-2022, 19:33 PM
                  • Tenant would like loft conversion - dilemma
                    by davver79
                    Hi, I am looking for some advice please.

I am discussing with my tenant the possibility of a loft conversion on our 2 bed terraced, making it into a 3 bed for his family. He is an experienced builder so has offered to do the work. I'm considering getting the work done, but my concern is...
                    20-01-2022, 09:22 AM
                  • Reply to Flat inspection
                    by gnvqsos
                    You could invite the inspector to offer feedback with 24 hours.
                    20-01-2022, 19:26 PM
                  Working...
                  X