Did you know M&S is a corporate partner of Shelter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know M&S is a corporate partner of Shelter?

I have recently discovered that M&S is a corporate partner of Shelter and has contributed over £13 million to Shelter since 2005.

I have never been a big M&S shopper but I will be walking straight past the door now!

I gave up on their men's clothes about ten years ago when I could not even find a pair of trousers to fit me. Now I shop with Jolliman, who are amazing. Trousers can be selected for width & length, and always fit. I get most of my clothes there now, and recommend them to anyone.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Oh dear - Nationwide, M&S and First Direct have all now lost my custom.

What idiots on company boards make these decisions. Yes supporting homeless people with real -- em.. support -- is one thing. Shelter has nothing to do with that.

Comment

Marks & Spencer donates a lot of new clothes to Shelter. The labels are often cut off.

Comment

Well done,Marks-a deserving cause and good use of dividends.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEO_co...United_Kingdom

Shelter CEO salary £125,500.

Comment

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/abo...-and-staff-pay

Salvation Army CEO salary £15,500.

Comment

Do any of you guys listen to Rylan on Saturday? He usually has a phonecall with his mum Linda, who is so unintentionally funny.

Today she was saying that she'd been in a card shop beginning with 'C' but she knew she wasn't meant to mention the name. In almost the next sentence, she said she'd popped in 'Markses'.

Rylan cracked up, and asked why she thought she could mention M&S if she wasn't allowed to mention Clintons.
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Could someone educate me on the negativity towards shelter?

Comment

Originally posted by mokka View Post
                    Could someone educate me on the negativity towards shelter?
                    Shelter markets itself as a charity for the homeless - which is difficult to argue against.

It also offers legal advice to tenants which tends to help them prevent landlords doing what they want, which makes them unpopular with some landlords - but which I, personally, think is quite a valuable service.
                    Particularly since funding cuts means that the Citizens Advice service is less than useful.

It also continually campaigns against landlords in a biased and critical manner, which annoys most landlords, including me.
                    The stories it promotes and the campaigns it supports are sometimes pro-tenant, but are often simply anti-landlord and, in many cases, inaccurate and publicity seeking.
                    Many of its campaigns are, essentially, political in nature, which it shouldn't be allowed to do, as a charity.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What JP said. They provide a lot of good services and support. But it suits them to paint landlords as a broadly nasty, greedy, ruthless bunch in order to garner popular and political support. It's certainly not fair and I don't think it is long term productive. Consequently, although I support a couple of homeless charities, I would not support them. Can't say I'd go so far as to boycott anyone who did. Although, nasty landlord that I am, I have for years bought my tenants a bottle of Champagne from M&S for Xmas (M&S is very convenient) and I might look elsewhere this year.
                      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X