Does live-in landlord have the right arrange viewings of the tenant's room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thank you jpkeates. In the agreement there's no mention of me having access (whenever I want), and no mention of me not having access. Hence, I assume I can't arrange viewings unless the person in the room agrees to it (unless I start putting it in the agreement, in the future).

Comment

You say this is a flat and you are the live in landlord.

Are you renting this flat yourself from someone else?

I ask because this is sounding like another thread (or even 2) but from a different perspective.

Comment

No that must be someone else. I own the flat. If you could send me the link that could be interesting. Perhaps my former tenant started a thread (and thinks that I'm renting the flat myself).. that's a possibility. Anyway this live-in landlord vs normal landlord issue when it comes to viewings seems to be a tricky topic.

Comment

Does anyone have any new insights into this, by any chance (right of live-in landlord to show rooms of lodgers to prospective future lodgers during the notice period)?

Comment

If the agreement doesn't say that the lodger can exclude you from the room, or that they have exclusive access to it, it's your home and I'd say, implicitly, you have a right to do anything your agreement doesn't prevent you from doing.

With a tenant, the exclusive access is implicit, for a licence, it isn't - and the basic principle is, if it isn't forbidden, it's allowed.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In future I would recommend using a Lodger Agreement and being very clear that the people renting rooms from you are lodgers, not tenants.

In most cases, with a few exceptions, if a landlord is renting out a spare room in the property they also live in, that person is a lodger and they will have a ‘licence’ (not a ‘tenancy’). Where a tenant ‘owns’ the space they rent, a lodger cannot exclude the landlord from any space. For example, a lodger cannot keep landlords out of their bedroom, but privacy should be respected.

Lodgers aren’t allowed to put a lock on their door, but if they do, the landlord is entitled to a copy of the key, and enter without restrictions. Since the flat/house is the landlord’s main place of residence, the balance of rights is in their favour.

It’s also important to note, if a lodger has her/his own room and the landlord does not have the right under the lodger agreement to enter it without permission, the letting would probably be a tenancy. It’s advised for landlords not to allow this happen, so the occupant remains a lodger.
              https://www.lodgerguide.co.uk/what-is-a-lodger/

Going by the above, almost by definition you have the right to show a lodger's room to someone else.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                by Hudson01
                I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
              • Advice Needed
                by Confused2022
                Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
              • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Hudson01
                I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
              • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Laurasplog
                We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                by theartfullodger
                What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
              • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                by theartfullodger
                In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
              Working...
              X