Does live-in landlord have the right arrange viewings of the tenant's room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thank you jpkeates. In the agreement there's no mention of me having access (whenever I want), and no mention of me not having access. Hence, I assume I can't arrange viewings unless the person in the room agrees to it (unless I start putting it in the agreement, in the future).

Comment

You say this is a flat and you are the live in landlord.

Are you renting this flat yourself from someone else?

I ask because this is sounding like another thread (or even 2) but from a different perspective.

Comment

No that must be someone else. I own the flat. If you could send me the link that could be interesting. Perhaps my former tenant started a thread (and thinks that I'm renting the flat myself).. that's a possibility. Anyway this live-in landlord vs normal landlord issue when it comes to viewings seems to be a tricky topic.

Comment

Does anyone have any new insights into this, by any chance (right of live-in landlord to show rooms of lodgers to prospective future lodgers during the notice period)?

Comment

If the agreement doesn't say that the lodger can exclude you from the room, or that they have exclusive access to it, it's your home and I'd say, implicitly, you have a right to do anything your agreement doesn't prevent you from doing.

With a tenant, the exclusive access is implicit, for a licence, it isn't - and the basic principle is, if it isn't forbidden, it's allowed.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In future I would recommend using a Lodger Agreement and being very clear that the people renting rooms from you are lodgers, not tenants.

In most cases, with a few exceptions, if a landlord is renting out a spare room in the property they also live in, that person is a lodger and they will have a ‘licence’ (not a ‘tenancy’). Where a tenant ‘owns’ the space they rent, a lodger cannot exclude the landlord from any space. For example, a lodger cannot keep landlords out of their bedroom, but privacy should be respected.

Lodgers aren’t allowed to put a lock on their door, but if they do, the landlord is entitled to a copy of the key, and enter without restrictions. Since the flat/house is the landlord’s main place of residence, the balance of rights is in their favour.

It’s also important to note, if a lodger has her/his own room and the landlord does not have the right under the lodger agreement to enter it without permission, the letting would probably be a tenancy. It’s advised for landlords not to allow this happen, so the occupant remains a lodger.
              https://www.lodgerguide.co.uk/what-is-a-lodger/

Going by the above, almost by definition you have the right to show a lodger's room to someone else.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X