X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement

Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
    He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long time ago that you have to have a deed if its a rental over the period of 3 years. Is this correct ? If so, what should I be aware of ? what does it involve ?

2) Do I need to care about of the challenges of a deed if its being managed by an agent ? Paperwork will be though the agent and the Tennent.

regards
    Gurvinder

Yes, it's no longer an AST, I would suggest you give them a 12 month contract and explain you will renew each year (subject to rent being paid and property looked after).

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
      Yes, it's no longer an AST, I would suggest you give them a 12 month contract and explain you will renew each year (subject to rent being paid and property looked after).
      Thank you!

what would be needed if my it was rented for 5 years ? I cant seem to find clear detail on this online. Would this be between the tenant and agent ?

Comment

Do you have a BTL mortgage, as there's no point providing a 5 year deed as most lenders terms wont allow it. Why do you want to offer them it for so long? Anything can happen in 5 years (as the current virus has shown, as well as making evictions harder), and the deed needs to signed and witnessed, so there is additional complexities as well as the deed drafted by a property lawyer.

Comment

Do not agree to anything more than 12 months, as said all manner of things can happen, all my tenancies are 12 months with a 6 month break clause and then they go into periodic, if the tenant wants something else then we simply part waves. My property.... my rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            Not sure this is correct? Initial terms of AST can be up to seven years, but if longer than three years it needs to be executed as a deed.

Things to look out for are making sure that you have a reasonable rent review clause.

I use a watered down three year term - i.e. three years with a break clause which can be relied upon by either party at any time after 6/12 months. Rent reviews are fixed at x% or CPI, whichever is the greater.
            Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurvinder View Post
              what would be needed if my it was rented for 5 years ? I cant seem to find clear detail on this online. Would this be between the tenant and agent ?
              The agreement would need to be a deed, because it's more than three years.

As a landlord, however, you would be insane to contemplate a five year agreement and I would refuse to work with any agency that proposed such a deal.
              The agent is meant to be working on your behalf and they are manifestly not.
              That you are even contemplating it is concerning.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you Hooper.

Can you show me a written example of the break clause ?

Comment

Either the landlord or the tenant shall be entitled to terminate the tenancy by giving at least two
                  months notice in writing to that effect. Notice must not expire within the first 6/12 months of the Term and must expire on the last day of a rental period.
                  Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the end of a tenancy period.

If a landlord served the same notice, it would have no effect, other than, if the tenant didn't move out (which they would be entitled to do) a new periodic tenancy would start. They could use the section 21 notice process from that point.

So the security of the five year agreement is illusory, but biased in favour of the tenant.

There's a reason that a) no one does this and b) every landlord responding is saying don't do it.

In 2016, anyone entering this kind of agreement would have been lucky to predict the events, and their consequences, of the following five years.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

To all intents and purposes, there is no difference between a 3 year tenancy with a 6 month break clause and a 6 month tenancy! Many landlords on here have had tenants on periodic tenancies for years, myself included, (8 years for one tenant). If you're in this for the long term then tell them that and that regardless of the tenancy type, you plan to let the property for at least that long.

Comment

My understanding is that L simply needs to serve s21 at same time as the notice to break. No?
                        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

12 month AST

Establish rapport with Tenants, do some. LL training and then sack the agent and keep more ££ yourself
                          My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                            Initial terms of AST can be up to seven years
                            Just as a point of order, there's no upper limit to how long an AST can be. A 999 years leasehold flat can be an AST if the ground rent is high enough. (And that is an actual problems some leasehold owner have faced due to the difference in rights and relief between AST possession and conventional forfeiture.)

Three years and you need a deed. Lease can be noted at the Land Registry.

Seven years and it's a "long lease". Lease must be registered at the Land Registry. Many things which applies to short residential leases but not long ones, and vice versa.
                            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

As above, rolling break clauses literally make no sense. A break clause say exercisable to terminate at 2.5 years but if not exercised then sides are committed to another 2.5 years, possibly depending on circumstances. Rolling ones you may as well have periodic tenancy.

A large established hospital I can see potentially make reliable paying tenant. As long as it's really the hospital that's the tenant and not say an agency operating to house workers.

There's many potential drawback which you need to fully consider. If you're really thinking of going ahead, take some proper legal advice on pros and cons first.
                              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                                by propster717
                                Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                                6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                                Tenant 1
                                Tenant 2
                                (No children)
                                Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                                20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                              • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                                by Jon66
                                I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                                20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                              • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by jpucng62
                                The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                                20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                              • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                                by rapid111111
                                Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                                The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                                20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                                by davetg
                                I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                                1) Never let to people on benefits.
                                2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                                3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                                20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                              • Reply to Possession hearing
                                by davetg
                                The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                                20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                              • Possession hearing
                                by Gizmo1959
                                I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                                Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                                Thanks
                                20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                                by doobrey
                                +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                                20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                              • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                                by AVJ113
                                Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                                20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                              • Reply to Possession hearing
                                by Gizmo1959
                                Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                                Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                                20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X