Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address

    Can I please get some advise on tenants who did not pay the rent for 6 months and have now moved out without providing a forwarding address.
    They breached the terms of the contract:
    - Rent arrears for six months
    - Pet in the apartment when there is a strict no pet policy on the development
    - Changed the locks without intimation
    - Left the property in a state of mess
    - Keys or fobs not returned

    Any help or steer will be much appreciated.


    You will presumably already served s8g8,10,11. Maybe more than once

    Follow up that through court or go McoL.

    Do you have access after locks changed? Did they change th back before leaving? Any of their goods left behind?
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Thank you for your response. I had just served a letter stating if they dont pay the arrears, i will have to take court action. Maybe that prompted them to leave.
      I have access now but do not have a forwarding address. If I go via MCOL or court, can you advise on the process please?

      Thank you.


        By just moving out, they haven't ended the tenancy, and, as you don't seem to have served notice yourself, you've left yourself a little exposed.

        Using MCOL you have two options.
        Use the property's address as the last contact address you've been given.
        Unless they redirect their mail, they won't see any paperwork and you'll win by default.
        You won't get any money back (for a while at least) and the tenant won't know anything until the ccj appears on their credit history.

        Alternatively, wait three or four months, use a people tracing service and use those details to sue them via MCOL.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity