Deposit Schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Schemes

Apologies if this has been covered before. Have landlords on here had any negative experiences with the so called 0 deposit schemes whereby prospective tenants pay only one week's rent as a premium to a third party provider, the latter being responsible for compensating the landlord in the event of any justifiable repair costs at the end of the tenancy?
    Any comment welcome.
    CharlesT

I wouldn't touch tenants needing this scheme because it demonstrates they don't have enough income spare to prioritise saving for a deposit. I prefer my tenants to have money in the bank, at least enough to cover a year's rent.

Comment

Being able to front up a deposit is a part of my letting criteria.

Comment

46 49 23 84 99 60

Comment

I prefer my tenants to have paid a deposit. It gives them an investment in the condition of the property when they hand it back to me, and an incentive of the lump sum back if it's in good condition. If there's nothing to lose, I think they'd be less likely to care as much about how it is they hand it back.

Putting things right takes time and keeps the property off the market whie work is being done.

That said, I don't like holding back any of their deposit. I'll ignore small things if they have been generally good tenants who have been there a few years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
            by NewGuyOne
            Not in London area. Thanks guys by the details and links I'm seemingly in the good books.
            Flat size is near 50m2....
            27-01-2022, 17:21 PM
          • Flat rental bathroom query
            by NewGuyOne
            Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
            16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
          • Is time more important than money?
            by jpucng62
            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
            Garden was left in a mess...
            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
            by jpkeates
            Don't issue a new tenancy agreement if your intention is to move the tenant on.
            It would start a new tenancy and make any new break clause tricky - particularly if the tenant notices it's there and refuses to sign it.
            27-01-2022, 16:00 PM
          • Tenant has moved partner in.
            by Alison Laws
            My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
            27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
          • Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
            by Section20z
            Unless it's in A selective licensing area it will be of no interest to the council anyway.
            27-01-2022, 15:50 PM
            by ash72
            Don't do it, if you create another tenancy, it will prolong it, if you have (assumed) provided a 12 month AST then Serve notice when it expires.

Arranging the cupboards, should be noted in any inspections and notify they T that they need to return the property back to how it was in the...
            27-01-2022, 15:49 PM
            by DoricPixie
            In reality I don’t think the tenant really needs your permission to mover her other half into the property. You might have something down in the tenancy agreement about who’s to occupy the property but the reality is that you’d need to go to court to enforce any such clause. You can suggest a...
            27-01-2022, 15:44 PM
          • Reply to Evictions on the grounds that its my only place to live .
            by ash72
            Would recommend to get a lodger rather than a T, if it's your only place to live. It may not bring the income you wanted, but if your renting a place to live in yourself, the difference wouldn't be so great. Also your mortgage/ Insurance etc would need to be notified that it's no longer your primary...
            27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
          • Evictions on the grounds that its my only place to live .
            by Luke
            I recently read of these forums that you can get a AST form with a clause that you can evict a tenant if you want your property back because its your only place to live .
            What was that clause and how does it work ?
            I just have one property and I am considering letting it out to tenants...
            27-01-2022, 13:34 PM
          Working...
          X