Deposit Schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Schemes

Apologies if this has been covered before. Have landlords on here had any negative experiences with the so called 0 deposit schemes whereby prospective tenants pay only one week's rent as a premium to a third party provider, the latter being responsible for compensating the landlord in the event of any justifiable repair costs at the end of the tenancy?
    Any comment welcome.
    CharlesT

I wouldn't touch tenants needing this scheme because it demonstrates they don't have enough income spare to prioritise saving for a deposit. I prefer my tenants to have money in the bank, at least enough to cover a year's rent.

Comment

Being able to front up a deposit is a part of my letting criteria.

Comment

46 49 23 84 99 60

Comment

I prefer my tenants to have paid a deposit. It gives them an investment in the condition of the property when they hand it back to me, and an incentive of the lump sum back if it's in good condition. If there's nothing to lose, I think they'd be less likely to care as much about how it is they hand it back.

Putting things right takes time and keeps the property off the market whie work is being done.

That said, I don't like holding back any of their deposit. I'll ignore small things if they have been generally good tenants who have been there a few years.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Holding deposit
            by Ollie2000
            Thanks everyone for your input.
            20-01-2022, 20:51 PM
          • Holding deposit
            by Ollie2000
            Hi all, sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but can anyone give me a link to the law regarding holding deposits?

I have not been able to find anything official to confirm that the landlord/agent is allowed to keep this if the applicant fails to proceed with the application and...
            04-01-2022, 14:55 PM
          • Reply to Long term "guest"
            by Ollie2000
            Thanks everyone for your input.
            20-01-2022, 20:49 PM
          • Long term "guest"
            by Ollie2000
            Hi,

I have a very small flat let out to a single tenant. The tenancy agreement states the maximum number of occupants as one.

The tenant now wants her mother to stay with her as a guest for several months (she would have nowhere else to stay as she is not a UK resident). ...
            20-01-2022, 13:21 PM
          • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
            by DoricPixie
            Your opinion on what constitutes negligence doesn’t really matter. It’s the law’s take on it that matters. If I went out and murdered someone when I wasn’t in my right state of mind then I could use the ‘diminished responsibility’ defence. That’s for a most heinous criminal offence so...
            20-01-2022, 20:44 PM
          • Property damaged. Advice please
            by minorbark
            Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
            18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by SouthernDave
            theres no way this will happen. The gov have no idea what they are proposing, its all a pipe dream designed to get people thinking. It was like when they said all gov funded construction projects needed to be undertaken as a BIM process by 2016 because they wanted to reduce the cost of UK construction....
            20-01-2022, 20:42 PM
          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
          • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
            by theartfullodger
            What documentation is there for the terms of your occupation from your mother, please -both before and after demise? (Without knowing, hard to answer).

Your mother's house. Did she just own it or also live there with you?

Anyone else in property in addition to you?
            20-01-2022, 20:37 PM
          • Occupational rent to an executor.
            by Yoda 111
            I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
            20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
          Working...
          X