X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpucng62
    replied
    Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

My hot water tank heats my airing cupboard and dry's my towels !!!
    In which case your tank is not sufficiently lagged!

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Water in the immersion tank will supplement the space heating ?
    How does that work then ?
    My hot water tank heats my airing cupboard and dry's my towels !!! But in terms of adding to the heat of my whole home..... there would be far more efficient ways to use those KW/H's, it's simply a bigger version of boiling your kettle and expecting it to somehow add to the heat in the kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    The tank we put in was super insulated, probably cost about £200 or more. I don't think it would heat the space around it.

As a child I remember the galvanised hot water tank that was in the airing cupboard in the bathroom. Made it lovely and warm. Occasionally, it sprung a leak and my father had to repair it.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Seriously?

Go and sit in your airing cupboard, and see if it's any warmer than outside.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Just an aside, if you tenant is in full time education she is probably not entitled to welfare benefits unless she has a disability. If she is in receipt of a student loan and is struggling, she should ask her college hardship fund for help. They are very good at assisting lone parents to ensure they graduate. She may also be entitled to the warm home scheme, which gives her 140 off her fuel bill.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Even if the hot water in the tank isn't used, the heat will not be wasted, at least during the heating season. It will supplement the space heating so that won't have to work so hard, or be used on peak rate.

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    Update. Got this reply "All the advice you have given is very much appreciated but they are things that i have already done at one point or another over the past 7 years. The new heaters are set to that youtube video anyway and i have sent them all to the electrician and he says they are correct. But these heaters only work when you let out boost mode. He said he will look more into it as that shouldn’t happen. Maybe there is a problem with the heater wall plugs. (Storage plug next to the heater) "

Boost mode is the dearer electricity price. I looked it up on the internet and told her to do a factory reset as on another youtube video. That, hopefully, has done the trick.

She says "Its all set and currently sat next to it it is on and working making noises and everything the way it is supposed to.. but blowing out cold air. I started with the living room one see how it goes for now. Will keep you updated. "

So it all looks promising. I did tell her that it won't be warm until it stores some heat tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    Please I am in no way making excuses not to repair the immersion!

I have written to her today saying this and hope it might help other tenants.

"What I have learned is that there are two consumer units in the cupboard. One is for the heaters and the water heater and the other for all the other electrical points.

Do you really want hot water from the tank? You have a dishwasher and an electric shower. If you don’t then I think it would be a good idea to turn both of those water heater switches off. If, say, you both want to have a bath at the weekend, then you could turn the water heater in the economy 7 box on the night before. If the water doesn’t heat up the whole tank then we will have to deal with it. Same for the switch. And any timer there is.

When the economy 7 kicks in, the heaters will start storing electricity until they are full and then they will turn off. The controls on the top of each heater will tell it when to let out heat. This video will show you how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3JQgtGkLhY

Each heater will have to be set separately. If, for example, you both spend the evening in the living room, you could set that one to come on before you get home each day and give a boost from time to time. You could set your son’s heater to come on for a while before he goes to bed and the same with the one in your bedroom. If you want to save money then you could try to not use all three rooms at the same time. In the morning you could set them to come on when you get up.

You’ve got three months of cold weather ahead of you so it will be worth getting to grips with it now."

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Even if the hot water in the tank isn't used, the heat will not be wasted, at least during the heating season. It will supplement the space heating so that won't have to work so hard, or be used on peak rate.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by NaomiB View Post
    but does she want (need) a full tank of hot water each day, if at all? There is a dishwasher and an electric shower.
    She appears to have no clue, the electric shower heats up the cold water as it needs it..... same with the dishwasher, they are not fed by the hot water in the tank, so it appears the only reason she needs a copper tank with 200 Ltrs of hot water is to run the tap to wash her hands, and maybe rinse the odd cup ??? And let us not forget it was heated up by electricity at the high peak rate....... i do lament the failure of the state education system.

She may benefit from an on demand water heater which heats up the water like an electric shower does, this could feed the sink in the kitchen and the bathroom, either way, it is only with a good sit down and getting her to understand how all this works which will bring her bills down.
    Last edited by Hudson01; 27-11-2021, 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Naomi, are you making excuses not to repair the immersion?

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    Thanks, I will get a picture of the lower consumer unit to see if the immersion heater is on that but I will assume it is. The heaters and the water heater are on one consumer unit and I think the heaters turn off when they are full but does she want (need) a full tank of hot water each day, if at all? There is a dishwasher and an electric shower.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    From your picture, I think the lower immersion is probably connected to a consumer unit that only comes live during the cheap rate times. Same with the storage heaters. Therefore the exact times are pretty irrelevant. You should get that lower immersion repaired though. Using peak rate for all her hot water is not helping matters.

Leave a comment:

• NaomiB
    replied
    Maybe some tenants are a bit dim. Maybe we throw them in without sufficient information. I have learned a lot this past week on how the heaters work, even that she'd put in a new pre-payment meter. I've found a nice video on exactly how to program the new night storage heaters. Now I've got to find out exactly when her night rate is. The edf website says that it could be seven hours between 11pm and 8am or even in blocks and this is not changed when the clocks go forward or back.

In her initial email she said "My economy 7 plug doesn’t work. Has never worked and has been inspected but nothing could be done". That turned out to be the switch on the immersion heater. Where the timer is I have no idea. I will make sure that it's all sorted next week.

I've learned that she is not working because she's at college studying education. She must be on benefits which I can see might make finding another smaller flat more difficult. I've found out how low her rent is. The lettings agent who managed the flat says that I was "reminded the rent was below market rate." but this didn't happen. Why didn't it happen? It was because they knew that, if they put the rent up, she wouldn't be able to afford it, and they would have trouble with her getting into arrears and having to evict her and all that. And she now says "The unscrupulous Landlords are currently taking advantage of the lack of the properties and hiking the rents." and "what do you think of a £1000 monthly rent for a two bedroom flat? People will grab them because there's nothing available and then will be unable to continue paying and end up with arrears."

If I had not taken back the management of this flat after about eight years when they merged with another company, I would have known nothing about all this, it would have been swept under the carpet. Cracks were beginning to show though as she had missed a payment and the new company had arranged a payment plan.

If I was my tenant's mother I would have said, in this order, don't waste your time on this university degree, get a smaller flat that will cost you less to heat or come back home and live with me. However, when she gets her rent paid by housing benefit, there is not much incentive to move home with mum.

At the moment she doesn't seem to want a flat at £750, the lowest on the market. She wants one she can love and afford. The next problem for me will be that she won't be able to get a flat that she can love for the amount she can afford. Not only that she won't be able to get a flat that will accept her when she is not working and on benefits.

Thanks for listening. It does help.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I've been philosophising about tenants & storage heaters, and have come to a conclusion: They are unwilling to use the things because they irrationally think that the landlord will get the benefit of their electricity, in the event they are evicted at some point during the day. There's no other explanation, is there?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
    by Lawcruncher
    I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
    27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
  • Is time more important than money?
    by jpucng62
    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess...
    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by MdeB
    That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
    Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
    27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by Beeble
    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Lawcruncher
    The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
    27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by AndrewDod
    Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
    27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
    27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Hudson01
    Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
    27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
Working...
X