Economy 7 and a smart meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if the hot water in the tank isn't used, the heat will not be wasted, at least during the heating season. It will supplement the space heating so that won't have to work so hard, or be used on peak rate.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Please I am in no way making excuses not to repair the immersion!

I have written to her today saying this and hope it might help other tenants.

"What I have learned is that there are two consumer units in the cupboard. One is for the heaters and the water heater and the other for all the other electrical points.

Do you really want hot water from the tank? You have a dishwasher and an electric shower. If you don’t then I think it would be a good idea to turn both of those water heater switches off. If, say, you both want to have a bath at the weekend, then you could turn the water heater in the economy 7 box on the night before. If the water doesn’t heat up the whole tank then we will have to deal with it. Same for the switch. And any timer there is.

When the economy 7 kicks in, the heaters will start storing electricity until they are full and then they will turn off. The controls on the top of each heater will tell it when to let out heat. This video will show you how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3JQgtGkLhY

Each heater will have to be set separately. If, for example, you both spend the evening in the living room, you could set that one to come on before you get home each day and give a boost from time to time. You could set your son’s heater to come on for a while before he goes to bed and the same with the one in your bedroom. If you want to save money then you could try to not use all three rooms at the same time. In the morning you could set them to come on when you get up.

You’ve got three months of cold weather ahead of you so it will be worth getting to grips with it now."

Comment

Update. Got this reply "All the advice you have given is very much appreciated but they are things that i have already done at one point or another over the past 7 years. The new heaters are set to that youtube video anyway and i have sent them all to the electrician and he says they are correct. But these heaters only work when you let out boost mode. He said he will look more into it as that shouldn’t happen. Maybe there is a problem with the heater wall plugs. (Storage plug next to the heater) "

Boost mode is the dearer electricity price. I looked it up on the internet and told her to do a factory reset as on another youtube video. That, hopefully, has done the trick.

She says "Its all set and currently sat next to it it is on and working making noises and everything the way it is supposed to.. but blowing out cold air. I started with the living room one see how it goes for now. Will keep you updated. "

So it all looks promising. I did tell her that it won't be warm until it stores some heat tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Even if the hot water in the tank isn't used, the heat will not be wasted, at least during the heating season. It will supplement the space heating so that won't have to work so hard, or be used on peak rate.
          Water in the immersion tank will supplement the space heating ?
          How does that work then ?

Comment

Just an aside, if you tenant is in full time education she is probably not entitled to welfare benefits unless she has a disability. If she is in receipt of a student loan and is struggling, she should ask her college hardship fund for help. They are very good at assisting lone parents to ensure they graduate. She may also be entitled to the warm home scheme, which gives her 140 off her fuel bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Seriously?

Go and sit in your airing cupboard, and see if it's any warmer than outside.
              To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The tank we put in was super insulated, probably cost about £200 or more. I don't think it would heat the space around it.

As a child I remember the galvanised hot water tank that was in the airing cupboard in the bathroom. Made it lovely and warm. Occasionally, it sprung a leak and my father had to repair it.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

My hot water tank heats my airing cupboard and dry's my towels !!! But in terms of adding to the heat of my whole home..... there would be far more efficient ways to use those KW/H's, it's simply a bigger version of boiling your kettle and expecting it to somehow add to the heat in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

My hot water tank heats my airing cupboard and dry's my towels !!!
                    In which case your tank is not sufficiently lagged!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X