Economy 7 and a smart meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't think what an economy 7 button was, so I googled: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-me...oes-it-do-1758

This is only for testing the storage heaters. It's not meant to be used every day.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I have taken over management of the flat and, whereas I thought she was an ideal tenant always paying the rent on time, I have now realised that the lettings agent had kept the rent down to what she could afford and, no doubt, saving himself some hassle. She can't afford the electric heating on such a large flat and so that will need to be sorted out too!

Maybe I shouldn't have replaced the night storage heaters but bought electric radiators instead.

Comment

Looking back at my thread, this reply might explain why your tenant is having problems:

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
        just wait until you have to fit LOT20 compliant storage heaters …..tenants turn them off, then on, and it takes them a few days to get running again properly
        If your tenant lets the electricity go off when she runs out of credit, do the fancy new storage heaters lose all their settings?

Edit: Also the immersion timer, now I think of it.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by NaomiB View Post

Maybe I shouldn't have replaced the night storage heaters but bought electric radiators instead.
          That would crucify you on the EPC rating, so don't do that.

Comment

Just for info. This is on the edf website "The off-peak electricity times for your E7 meter will vary depending on where you live and who your provider is. Usually you get your seven hours of off-peak electricity sometime between 11pm and 8am. This might be split up into chunks of time. You can contact your supplier to find out your exact Economy 7 off-peak electricity hours."

and also "E7 meters won't normally adjust themselves for when the clocks go forward or back. This means your off-peak times could be different between British Summer Time (BST, when clocks go forward) and Greenwich Mean Time (GMT, when clocks go back). Make sure you ask your supplier how this will impact you."

I tend to find these things quite interesting - which is just as well!

Comment

I tend to find these things quite interesting - which is just as well!
              What I've found over and over is that tenants don't find this kind of thing interesting and, unless they've grown up with storage heaters, won't spend the time to get the right tariff and synchronise the timers with the cheap rate periods.

Most people are used to radiators which you switch on when you want heat and then deliver the heat on demand.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                Looking back at my thread, this reply might explain why your tenant is having problems:

If your tenant lets the electricity go off when she runs out of credit, do the fancy new storage heaters lose all their settings?

Edit: Also the immersion timer, now I think of it.
                i think the answer to some of these products is that they do remember their settings

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

That would crucify you on the EPC rating, so don't do that.
                  Agree totally but when i had my storage heaters the tenants hated them, they worked full time and the way the storage heaters worked simply did not suit their lifestyle, so i got the very nasty (for EPC ratings) panel radiators, timers and app based fancy stuff and all..... they love them, they get instant heat when they want it and then turn them off after around an hour and the place stays warm..... this is what THEY wanted, it is THEIR home.

This is why the current EPC system is potty, they recommended that to increase the EPC rating that i fit GCH !!! The exact fossil fuel heating system that the govt wants to get rid of, the whole bloody system is crazy.

Comment

This is a bit lost on me.

Comment

There's a very good reason they're called NIGHT storage heaters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

This is why the current EPC system is potty, they recommended that to increase the EPC rating that i fit GCH !!! The exact fossil fuel heating system that the govt wants to get rid of, the whole bloody system is crazy.
                        EPCs are based on cost, so gas is good. They were never meant to be used as they are and there is a suggestion that we will move to EIR eventually (remember the carbon score on early EPCs?). At this point the score for gas should go down & for electricity should go up, so all your properties that are EPC C with GCH will now drop so you can't rent them and all the electric properties that were sold because they were EPC D will go up to EPC C but its too late - they have all been sold.

Anyone else think the Govt don't know what they are doing?

Comment

Sounds like they are recovering a debt from your tenant, doesn't it?

Comment

Wow..... that looks crazy. I would have an electrician look at it and see if he or she can work it out, mine were not that complicated.

Comment

If the E7 is activating at 8am then all the power for the next 6 or 7 hours will be charged at the lower E7 rate

This also means storage heaters and immersion heaters will be operating during this time too - and hence the high consumption of electricity

Lets ignore the actual costs how many kwh's are being used each week on the 24 x 7 supply and the E7 supply?

Also could you re- upload the photo of the fuseboard on its own?

Comment

People who have n't lived with Storage Heaters don't understand them.

If they come during the day (and it may be good for your tenant who is at home). They may underheat during the day (where the sun is warming the planet). It may be 15C during the day but at night it is 4C. It means the storage heaters don't have enough store heat.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                                  by ash72
                                  The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                                  05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                                • Dogs
                                  by Bridge2020
                                  My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                                  05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
                                • Reply to Been living in my own BTL...
                                  by ash72
                                  I would first of all see if the lender you currently have your BTL if they do any residential mortgages, simply looking on their website, if they do then this may be good news as they may transfer you over onto a residential mortgage. If they don't then you need to speak with a mortgage broker who can...
                                  05-12-2021, 17:19 PM
                                • Been living in my own BTL...
                                  by eshjie
                                  I have only just realized the pickle I have got myself into. And would like some advice.

In Jan/Feb 2021 I split up with my long term partner and moved out. My flat (which I lived in originally) which was previously let out to a tennant was empty and so I moved back in as I had nowhere...
                                  05-12-2021, 14:57 PM
                                  by boletus
                                  Speak to an independent mortgage broker before doing anything.

It's an unintentional mistake.

The Hunter blacklist is mainly used to frighten the children.
                                  05-12-2021, 16:49 PM
                                • Reply to Dogs
                                  by jpkeates
                                  I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                                  You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                                  05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
                                  by jpkeates
                                  The lender won't repossess initially.
                                  If they're unhappy, they'll "ask" for the mortgage to be repaid, they'll only repossess if you can't repay the mortgage.

There's a risk you'll be blacklisted anyway.
                                  05-12-2021, 16:16 PM
                                • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                                  by jpkeates
                                  Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                                  You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                                  And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                                  05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
                                • STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                                  by Noisette
                                  Hello, I'm hoping to clarify a few points with landlords who've had experience of non-payment of rent and Section 8 notice. Background: We emigrated in 2007. UK house sale fell through, but we've had good tenants under an STA renewed annually since 2012. In summer 2020, they had difficulties paying...
                                  05-12-2021, 13:59 PM
                                  by eshjie
                                  Thanks for the reply. Yeah this sounds like the right thing to do.

Thankfully I have enough in investments to pay off this property (flat) otherwise I'd be really panicking. Worse case it they tried to repo i could cash eveything out and pay to keep the property.

Really don't...
                                  05-12-2021, 16:12 PM
                                Working...
                                X