Rent arrears after leaving Joint tenancy(Rolling)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal anecdote, I had a similar situation (as landlord) where the letting agents never told me they received a valid NtQ from one tenant until it was way too late, then claimed it never killed the original joint tenancy anyways. It went all the way to the Ombudsman (TPO) and in their preliminary opinion they also supported the letting agents‘ position - I then asked for internal review and eventually the final decision was in my favour with the letting agent having to cover the losses I incurred.

This was a large national branch of letting agents; my point being - neither them nor the Ombudsman adjudicator seemed to have been aware of the Monk decision. Appalling - but in the end I got my justice. So I‘m not surprised to hear your story. Just hold firm.

Comment

It's a completely unrealistic view to believe.
      If the letting agents were right tens (maybe) hundreds of thousands of people would be trapped in completely impossible to end tenancies.

People die, fall out, dovorce, vanish or emigrate all the time - which would leave their joint tenants stuck, potentially forever, never able to end their tenancy.
      And yet there is no evidence of the massive number of tenancies that would have to exist for the letting agent's view to be correct.

A simple reality check is all that's required - there's no need for the letting agents to know property case law.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates totally agree. What really surprised me though was that the TPO assessor (a guy who works as a housing consultant for a council by the way!) didn't know.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Been living in my own BTL...
          by ash72
          I would first of all see if the lender you currently have your BTL if they do any residential mortgages, simply looking on their website, if they do then this may be good news as they may transfer you over onto a residential mortgage. If they don't then you need to speak with a mortgage broker who can...
          05-12-2021, 17:19 PM
        • Been living in my own BTL...
          by eshjie
          I have only just realized the pickle I have got myself into. And would like some advice.

In Jan/Feb 2021 I split up with my long term partner and moved out. My flat (which I lived in originally) which was previously let out to a tennant was empty and so I moved back in as I had nowhere...
          05-12-2021, 14:57 PM
          by boletus
          Speak to an independent mortgage broker before doing anything.

It's an unintentional mistake.

The Hunter blacklist is mainly used to frighten the children.
          05-12-2021, 16:49 PM
        • Reply to Dogs
          by jpkeates
          I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
          You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
          05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
        • Dogs
          by Bridge2020
          My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
          05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
          by jpkeates
          The lender won't repossess initially.
          If they're unhappy, they'll "ask" for the mortgage to be repaid, they'll only repossess if you can't repay the mortgage.

There's a risk you'll be blacklisted anyway.
          05-12-2021, 16:16 PM
        • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
          by jpkeates
          Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
          You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
          And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
          05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
        • STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
          by Noisette
          Hello, I'm hoping to clarify a few points with landlords who've had experience of non-payment of rent and Section 8 notice. Background: We emigrated in 2007. UK house sale fell through, but we've had good tenants under an STA renewed annually since 2012. In summer 2020, they had difficulties paying...
          05-12-2021, 13:59 PM
          by eshjie
          Thanks for the reply. Yeah this sounds like the right thing to do.

Thankfully I have enough in investments to pay off this property (flat) otherwise I'd be really panicking. Worse case it they tried to repo i could cash eveything out and pay to keep the property.

Really don't...
          05-12-2021, 16:12 PM
        • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
          by theartfullodger
          Paragraphs.

Do you have paperwork from HMRC permitting tenants not to deduct 20% rent for taxman? (Required for non-uk-resident landlords)

Think (hope) you mean AST not STA.

There's almost always no evictions over Xmas. (Court practice).

Have you...
          05-12-2021, 16:05 PM
        Working...
        X