Pay as you go electricity meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay as you go electricity meter

My daughter has just moved into a rental property and finds that the electricity is on a prepayment meter.
    She wants to switch to a monthly contract but has been told she has to wait 3 weeks.
    Should the letting agent have told her the electricity was on this type of meter before she moved in?

Of course. Why not sue them?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

What is the best course of action for her to take?
      Also, she is getting electric shocks from one of the light switches! They say they’ll send an electrician but what are her rights?

Comment

If the agent reasonably believed it would make a difference to someone's decision, yes, otherwise no.

And I wouldn't have thought it would make too much difference, personally.
        Maybe less than ideal, but not a show stopper.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
          Also, she is getting electric shocks from one of the light switches! They say they’ll send an electrician but what are her rights?
          She has the right to a safe property, but if she's found a problem and it gets fixed in a reasonable time frame, it shouldn't be an issue.
          The property has to have a current EICR - which his proof of an electrical safety inspection - which she should have a copy of.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The electrical safety certificate was produced in March. 2021. Apparently, the property was deemed safe but they couldn’t find the earthing rod!

Comment

Hebert

Can you post a picture of the meter, so we can see what type of pre pay meter it is ?

If it's a SMETS 2 meter or later versions, they can be switch back to a normal meter remotely by the utilities supplier.

Read on https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/sma...ips-for-prepay

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-normal-meter/

Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT

She should have a copy of the EICR

If she is getting shocks off switches - that could be trouble - so yes it needs reporting and investigating

Not finding the earth rod isn't a huge problem - as long as the Ze is low, then it needs commenting on the EICR

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you. This is a photo of the meter.

Comment

Thanks for the picture, that does look like one of the earlier SMETS 1 meter,

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-me...al-series-8584

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-me...al-series-8585

Which some has to come out too and change back to a normal smart meter and not done remotely.

Comment

Thank you for the info and for your help.

Comment

The pay as you go meter is probably as a result of a previous tenant getting into debt. If it was a deal breaker perhaps she should've asked. Not a big problem to get changed - just make sure she isn't paying off the last tenant's debt.

The light switch problem should've probably been reported by the previous tenant - can you see a theme here? The agent should get it fixed promptly, until then best not to use it.

Both your daughter's problems are less to do with the LL / agent than the previous tenant. I hope your daughter is a better tenant than the last one!

Comment

Just to point out

there is a national programme to upgrade the SMETS 1 to work as SMETS 2 hopefully !

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/natio...-smets1-meters

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                            The pay as you go meter is probably as a result of a previous tenant getting into debt. If it was a deal breaker perhaps she should've asked. Not a big problem to get changed - just make sure she isn't paying off the last tenant's debt.
                            The new smart meters can be pay as you go or monthly, quarterly etc. Having the meter switched to pre-payment doesn't have to mean a debt has been incurred, you can switch to pre-pay anytime for personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                              Just because a property has a satisfactory EICR, that just means on the day of the test it was OK. Just like a car MOT
                              I agree, my question was more aimed at getting a better understanding of the landlord.
                              An electrical problem can happen anytime, but if there was no EICR, it would possibly indicate that it was a property where it was more likely to happen.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                by theartfullodger
                                Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                                06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                              • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                by Livingonaprayer
                                Hi all.
                                I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                                Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                                06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by AndrewDod
                                If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                                06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by Bert1e
                                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                by alice123
                                I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                                06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                              • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                by llplug
                                I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                                19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by KTC
                                The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                                06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                by Hudson01
                                This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                                06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                              • Accelerated possession order
                                by Pariah81
                                A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                                05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                by L4NDLORD
                                this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                                06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X