Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tricky Situation: Moving out - Furniture

    I want to get opinions on a matter that's related to moving out and furniture.

    I rent a 2 bedroom house. I have a relaxed landlord that does the minimum but she's kind and mostly fair. I'm very good friends with her granddaughter. Sometimes the line is blurry with tenant-landlord communication as I'm good friends with the landlords granddaughter.

    When I moved in, it was unfurnished other than a couple of things the previous tenant left (dining table, coffee table, living room curtains from the year 1999, mattress and broken king size frame).

    My partner and I broke up last year. I rented the second bedroom out. I needed a lot more furniture than I had! So as I don't drive, with the help of my good friend, who is also the granddaughter of my landlord, I managed to fully furnish the spare room before a new tenant moves in, get a new bed frame for my bedroom and get some more furniture downstairs.

    I'm (and my housemate) are moving out and the landlord has now found a tenant to move in. I met up with my good friend and moving out came into conversation. Without really an opportunity to speak or have a discussion, I was... well, frankly told, that the bed frames must stay and they will stay. Frustratingly, I wanted to keep the bed frames as I grew to love them.

    As mentioned earlier, my good friend drove me to get different items from TV unit to wardrobes, bed frames to desks, chest of drawers to chairs and so on. 70% of the time we hired a van - she would always do the driving and I paid for the van hire. The other times we used her car, where I paid £5 to £10 for her petrol and sometimes gifted her with a meal or drinks.

    Her argument was that both bed frames were free and in her car. Although, this wasn't exactly the case - one was free and one went into her car. She only demanded for the bed frames to stay- nothing else. Not even the free wardrobe we picked up using her car, going by her logic.

    I just think it's unreasonable as I didn't move in with bed frames (technically one broken one left by the previous tenant). I assumed that my friend was doing me a huge favour as I have done for her. I also covered all expenses and paid for the furniture where it wasn't free.

    This situation is making me feel uneasy. I wanted some advice from landlords and tenants on this situation before I speak with her again as she often is the voice of the landlord.

    It'd be great to get some outsider perspectives on this situation.

    #2
    If you found the frames, arranged collection and paid the costs of collection I would suggest they are yours. If your friend is going to insist on them staying at the cost of your friendship she isn't much of a friend.

    I would take everything with me except what was on the inventory when you moved in and let your LL try to claim for a free bed from the dps!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
      If you found the frames, arranged collection and paid the costs of collection I would suggest they are yours. If your friend is going to insist on them staying at the cost of your friendship she isn't much of a friend.

      I would take everything with me except what was on the inventory when you moved in and let your LL try to claim for a free bed from the dps!
      Thanks for commenting.

      Thing is, as a friend, she was helping me search for items. So about 4 things we found, she found on her Shpock account. However, I always covered expenses whether she found an item or I did.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by london91 View Post

        However, I always covered expenses whether she found an item or I did.
        Think this still makes them yours. The trick is how to have the conversation about it and how much the friendship means to you.

        Maybe need to have a discussion about all the items and perhaps have one bed frame each?

        Comment


          #5
          It's your furniture, you friend just helped you find it and move it - for a consideration - finders fee/moving costs if you like.

          As said just take it with you and let the landlord try and claim from the deposit, if they weren't on the moving in inventory (which they won't be if the flat was unfurnished) and the LL can't show later receipts then they have no chance.
          But if there was a bed frame on the inventory then you should leave one behind.

          PS. I'd forget asking your friend to help you move your furniture out, sounds as if she wouldn't be as willing now.

          Comment


            #6
            If you took over the property with a bed frame in place and you've replaced it (as you mention you acquired 2) I would, regardless of inventory, leave 1 if you hadn't specifically agreed with the LL to take ownership of the broken one.

            I guess she's just trying to get the property back to original condition? Does she know there was only 1 bed? I don't know how close she is to "managing" it . You mention the blurred lines re communication with LL so I presume at least some goes through her...?

            Comment


              #7
              Gotta wonder what a free bedframe 2 people can fall in love with, and potentially fall out over, looks like. Must be something

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Lesney Park View Post
                If you took over the property with a bed frame in place and you've replaced it (as you mention you acquired 2) I would, regardless of inventory, leave 1 if you hadn't specifically agreed with the LL to take ownership of the broken one.

                I guess she's just trying to get the property back to original condition? Does she know there was only 1 bed? I don't know how close she is to "managing" it . You mention the blurred lines re communication with LL so I presume at least some goes through her...?
                She knows there was a broken king bed frame left by the previous tenant.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I would just leave the bed frame to the landlady and get myself a better one 😄 and then weigh up if I want to stay in touch. Probably not because people like this put me off.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Remind us - are you good friends with the landlords granddaughter?
                    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X