Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing a Guarantors form (as deed) : Problem Witnessing

Hi all

Would appreciate some advice on this please....
    New tenant is moving in (Property in Oxfordshire). Guarantor is his father who lives in Scotland.
    The guarantor form I use is signed as a deed and needs to be witnessed.
    Is there any way this can be done without one of us having to travel to meet the other and would I need to take a person to witness it.
    With appreciate any view or advice on this please.
    Thank you for your time
    Regards
    Mike

I send Deed to them by email (with contract and scary covering letter pressing home what a huge commitment it is), they print sign in front of a witness (who includes name address email and mobile - no one related or in business with them), scan and email back to me and lastly mail original to me. I don't sign it. I don't treat is as executed until I receive the original. My ASTs are digital online so I also get them to initial and sign the AST (before T) to confirm they agree it is the same agreement which they agreed to guarantee.
    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

The signature and the witness attesting to it can be done remotely and without the other party present.
      Same with your signature and witness.

The guarantor would need to be advised to take English legal advice, as the Scottish legal system is different.

You'd have to enforce the guarantor agreement in an English court and transfer any debt into the Scottish system to enforce it (assuming the guarantor decided to be difficult).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        The signature and the witness attesting to it can be done remotely and without the other party present.
        Same with your signature and witness.

The guarantor would need to be advised to take English legal advice, as the Scottish legal system is different.

You'd have to enforce the guarantor agreement in an English court and transfer any debt into the Scottish system to enforce it (assuming the guarantor decided to be difficult).
        He told me Scotland but just checked to confirm and it's actually Carlisle so just south of the boarder. I should have checked first. Apologises

Comment

Originally posted by Mike777 View Post
          He told me Scotland but just checked to confirm and it's actually Carlisle so just south of the boarder. I should have checked first. Apologises
          No need to apologise - Carlisle is much more useful for you!

I'd sign and get witnessed your copy and send it to Carlise for signing and witnessing there.
          Advise the guarantor to read the tenancy agreement and to get legal advice if they have any concerns or are not sure what they're agreeing to do before signing it.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

No need to apologise - Carlisle is much more useful for you!

I'd sign and get witnessed your copy and send it to Carlise for signing and witnessing there.
            Advise the guarantor to read the tenancy agreement and to get legal advice if they have any concerns or are not sure what they're agreeing to do before signing it.
            Many thanks... Excuse myself seeking the calification......so I don't need to be there when they sign or vice versa. Thank you again.

Comment

That's spot on.

Comment

There is obviously no harm in L signing it but I feel pretty certain that the landlord does not need to sign it themselves, unless the deed includes an obligation for the landlord.
                Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and comments very helpful.

There has been another twist over night !!!!

The guarantor is due down a week after the son (renter) moves in. He has offered to sign it then and I have no doubt he will.

Can I simply start and date the guarantor agreement for the day he comes down and is able the sign it. It would tie into the start date of the AST agreement and hope that's not a problem ?

Many thanks for the continued help.

Comment

Adds risk and uncertainty and no advantage to you, that I can see. I'd avoid it.

Useful thread touching on some of the points you've raised which you may already have seen here:
                    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...to-a-guarantor
                    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                      There is obviously no harm in L signing it but I feel pretty certain that the landlord does not need to sign it themselves, unless the deed includes an obligation for the landlord.
                      The deed needs to be signed (with witnesses) by both parties to the agreement.

And, I agree that signing the deed after the start of the tenancy isn't the safest idea.

Comment

The deed needs to be signed (with witnesses) by both parties to the agreement.
                        You and Lawcruncher seem to differ on the need for both parties to sign. I was under the distinct impression that you conceded to his position in the thread linked to above.

Nevertheless, where timing is of an issue L can sign upon receipt of the original document from G - rather than to have to post the original in both directions.
                        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                          You and Lawcruncher seem to differ on the need for both parties to sign. I was under the distinct impression that you conceded to his position in the thread linked to above.
                          I am always happy to be corrected by Lawcruncher, who is undoubtedly correct.

But common sense says that you don't want any obstacles to enforcement of an agreement, and you don't want to be explaining legal conventions to a reluctant guarantor.

Usually I'm reluctant to suggest signing anything before sending it to the other party, because there's a risk that they'll simply keep it and only countersign it when they think it suits them, but in this case, the onus is on the guarantor to sign, and I think that having a signed document might encourage them to sign.

However, as the OP seems happy to commence the tenancy without the guarantee in place, I'd question its neccessity.

Comment

I am always happy to be corrected by [USER="14645"]

Usually I'm reluctant to suggest signing anything before sending it to the other party, because there's a risk that they'll simply keep it and only countersign it when they think it suits them, but in this case, the onus is on the guarantor to sign, and I think that having a signed document might encourage them to sign.
                            We seem to agree that L's signature is not necessary for the deed to be enforceable. I take your point that should L later need to rely on the deed G might argue - incorrectly - that the lack of L's signature makes it invalid and that this misapprehension by G could be avoided by including L's signature.

I have no objection to adding L's signature as "belt and braces" but the important point is how to execute the deed both efficiently and effectively at a distance. Posting it in two directions increases L's workload, slows things down and increases the chance of paperwork going missing, causing delay. The other advantage of emailing it to G is that you can include the AST and a covering letter in the same email and have a definitive record of having done so.

If one prefers to add L's signature then it makes sense to add it after L receives the original copy printed and signed by G. The motivation argument does not make sense to me. G's leading motivation to sign the deed is that if he does not the T does not get a tenancy. If that's not enough then G is probably not going to make a great guarantor! It seems highly speculative to argue that having L's (arguably unnecessary) signature already on it is at all likely to motivate G further.

The only issue which come to mind doing things this way is that you may wish to check that the deed has not been doctored before being returned and that the witness is genuine. You could always request that it be signed in front of a JP, notary or the like - although I have never done this.
                            Assume I know nothing.

Comment

On the basis that both parties sign and their signatures are witnessed, I assume that the dates should be added later though? Wouldn't it be difficult to claim the document was executed as a deed if the dates of signatures are different?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
                                by DPT57
                                Paying arrears has to be a win of sorts. What is the basis of their counterclaim? Does it have any merit?

The retaliatory eviction legislation is very specific and the tenant has to have told you about any disrepair in writing prior to the s21 notice and the Council has to serve a category...
                                04-12-2021, 13:46 PM
                              • Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
                                by Murielle
                                Another difficult landlord situation: tenants had rent arrears. We served both section 8 and 21. Just before hearing for possession on section 8 grounds, they paid enough arrears to have it squashed ( still 1 month behind) but used a lawyer to put forward a counterclaim and date for trial is expected...
                                03-12-2021, 21:59 PM
                              • Reply to help please...
                                by john19
                                Thank you very much for your reply and all make sense, after reading here on this forum and on the net over the last few days; what I have learnt is do as much as you can to cover yourself just incase you need to issue a section 8 or section 21 notice.

Not sure I'm going over the top but...
                                04-12-2021, 13:16 PM
                              • help please...
                                by john19
                                Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement...
                                04-12-2021, 09:58 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                I would, just on the belt and braces basis.

The issue will be that your new tenancy will be a follow on or replacement tenancy and the prescribed information relating to the deposit has a deadline relating to the original receipt of the deposit.
                                You'd ideally want some evidence that...
                                04-12-2021, 12:58 PM
                                by john19
                                Hi Ash

Thank you very much for your reply and i am getting this sent over to the dps account i have set up the estate agents told me to do this....
                                04-12-2021, 12:52 PM
                                by john19
                                Thank you for your time and reply very grateful.

If the tenancy agreement had to be changed would i need to issue all these documents again and if i don't get proof of service from the estate agents should i issue them again?

Thank you for your help......
                                04-12-2021, 12:50 PM
                                by ash72
                                Was there a security deposit, you will need to transfer this as well.
                                04-12-2021, 12:47 PM
                              • Reply to My legal rights about an Inspection
                                by jpkeates
                                I'd be interested to see where that has been "judicially confirmed" - although I know we disagree on this and there's not a lot of merit in simply restating the same points.

I do accept that a right to inspect doesn't erase the tenant's right to exclusive possession - Bruton v...
                                04-12-2021, 12:29 PM
                              • My legal rights about an Inspection
                                by thegypsyking
                                Hi all, I am a tenant who s on a Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The agreement is for 6 months, i have already made an upfront payment for 6 months. Its been couple of months since i moved. My landlord wants to inspect to the flat next week by surveyors, but without me being involved. He wrote me that due...
                                03-12-2021, 23:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X