Help - Landlord wants from tenant new mattress in exchange for old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Landlord wants from tenant new mattress in exchange for old

As a tenant, I agreed with the landlord the remove a very old mattress in the house I moved into (to use my own). Only once I removed it did the landlord say that he only agreed to the removal with the assumption there will be a replacement.

I was nice and I told him i will leave him a similar replacement when I move out but he now says he will only accept a new as a replacement. Does this make any sense? What can I as a tenant do to stand my ground? Is there anything legal I can reference?

Don't worry about it until you move out. I presume your deposit has been protected.

Comment

Landlords can not demand ‘better’. So no he can not demand a brand spanking new mattress for a grimy old one. A very small cash offer towards a new one would be more acceptable.

he legally can not demand this so I wouldn’t worry and if he chases it through the deposit scheme he doesn’t have a chance.

Comment

I agree with mokka
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you both, this is helpful. Are there any online resources that I could point to to back up this claim?

Comment

https://www.propertymark.co.uk/profe...-and-tear.html
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above, the onus is on the LL to evidence any claim for deposit deduction, and they cannot claim on a 'new for old' basis. Depending on the age of the mattress they may legitimately be able to claim something, but this would only ever be partial replacement cost.

The strength of any argument would depend what exists in writing. Is there any record of what was said when you agreed with the LL to remove the mattress? Is the original mattress included in the inventory and if so is there any comment on its condition?
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I would argue you have saved him the trouble of disposing of the old mattress so you are even! I hope you have a copy of the conversation and in an ideal world a picture of the old one.

Comment

I'd forget it for now and deal with the issue when the tenancy ends.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X