Where is this all going to end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelbol View Post
    True but you can cut your losses. With a tenant, you can't even kick them out. So every month the debt piles up.
    Should take about 6 months in normal times - that's a manageable risk.

The plague meant that the timescales were extended beyond what a lot of people could cope with (and be reasonably expected to cope with).
    Hopefully the timescales are coming back to normal.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Lesney Park View Post

All you can do is either increase your vetting (my preference) or adjust your attitude towards risk.
      Just imagine when all the banks have taken over the PRS.

Why do you want to charge £200pcm more than the advert? - ah, the advert is a representative sample and you're higher risk.

Why won't you let that property to me? - poor credit, sorry.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
        Just imagine when all the banks have taken over the PRS.

Why do you want to charge £200pcm more than the advert? - ah, the advert is a representative sample and you're higher risk.

Why won't you let that property to me? - poor credit, sorry.
        To be honest, that wouldn't be so bad.
        That would look like a properly run business to me.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          To be honest, that wouldn't be so bad.
          That would look like a properly run business to me.
          Yes - but it will never be allowed to happen.

Yet, current LLs aren't trusted to operate in the market and they want corporate ownership, who won't be able to run a proper business either.
          My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

most people shouldn't be trusted to feed other people safely.
            Of course they should and they do, perfectly safely. From cradle to grave, from parents to carers.

The analogy is as flawed as the original premise.

Most people neither want nor need a nanny state controlling every aspect of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
              Most people neither want nor need a nanny state controlling every aspect of their lives.
              I agree.

But when someone wants to become involved in a business that affects other people's lives, health and quality of life, do you just trust them to do it properly?

It's not as if landlords have a reputational or competative incentive to keep quality high.

And while I don't think my analogy was very great either, by feed other people I meant feeding strangers in a cafe or restaurant.
              Providing a service for people you have some connection with isn't the same thing - particularly given many landlord's jaundiced view of "tenants" in the first place.

Comment

But when someone wants to become involved in a business that affects other people's lives, health and quality of life, do you just trust them to do it properly?
                I doubt anyone would suggest it should be unregulated. The problem and the consequences we are just starting to see, is overregulation.

Comment

And while I don't think my analogy was very great either, by feed other people I meant feeding strangers in a cafe or restaurant.
                  A 16 year old (14?) can get a job at Maccy D's or a greasy spoon feeding strangers the following week.

I think we should leave such analogies to mock outraged housing 'charities' chugging for ever more funding.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                    I doubt anyone would suggest it should be unregulated. The problem and the consequences we are just starting to see, is over regulation.
                    I don't really think the sector is over-regulated, it's more an issue of continually moving goalposts without communication, sensible timescales or communication.

It's not the regulation, it's the implementation.

I don't think electrical safety tests are a bad idea for example, but giving people a short period to get them done and not communicating it very well was stupid and hasn't delivered anything very useful.
                    Things like that need an implementation period that's longer than the average tenancy, 3-5 years?

It's cost me quite a bit of money in a very short period (which is an unnecessary additional burden), was a pain to arrange and worried my tenants in a pandemic because it's an intrusive time consuming thing to experience at a time when lots of people are justifiably quite paranoid about strangers visiting.

Comment

I don't think electrical safety tests are a bad idea for example...
                      A case in point. Electrical safety tests will be carried out by responsible landlords and ignored by those who could have been prosecuted under the old legislation anyway.

And I agree, the implementation of it was awful.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of euthanasia.

Imagine if every person was "ended" at 80 years of age - no worries about paying healthcare for an unknown length of time, reduced NHS costs, exact pension requirements, more housing stock available, saying bye to grannie before she goes, etc

Could we do it from this Saturday? - of course not, it would be both unfair and impractical.

But we could apply it from the year 2200 for instance - plenty of time so that people know what to expect and can plan.

Same with all the eco stuff.

Set a realistic date - let us say 2050 - and give households, business, LLs etc the time and the knowledge to plan for it.

(though personally feel we are wasting time and resource focussing on climate change prevention when it is guaranteed to change anyway)

Comment

I don't really think the sector is over-regulated, it's more an issue of continually moving goalposts without communication, sensible timescales or communication.

It's not the regulation, it's the implementation.

I don't think electrical safety tests are a bad idea for example, but giving people a short period to get them done and not communicating it very well was stupid and hasn't delivered anything very useful.
                          Things like that need an implementation period that's longer than the average tenancy, 3-5 years?

It's cost me quite a bit of money in a very short period (which is an unnecessary additional burden), was a pain to arrange and worried my tenants in a pandemic because it's an intrusive time consuming thing to experience at a time when lots of people are justifiably quite paranoid about strangers visiting.
                          How many home owners get an electrical safety test done every 5 years? How many home owners get a gas safety check done every year, let alone a boiler service? Soon tenants house will be better insulated than the LL.

While no one can argue against making properties safer via electrical and gas checks, fire alarms, etc, there are now many more stringent requirements compared to an owner-occupier house. Let's not even get started with HMOs.

So for me it's the never-ending regulations piling up.

It should have been the market deciding. For instance, 2 properties, one with fire alarm, up to date gas and elec certs vs another run down, mouldy and unsafe property... People will choose accordingly.

Comment

Recent political directives sound like magic spells not practical suggestions. Some ideas like hydrogen heating heat pumps or carbon capture sound as if the law makers are science fiction writers.
                            Similar daftness has led to the coming epc problem. Lets hope they will put that on hold after the climate conferance has been fogotten.

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol View Post

How many home owners get an electrical safety test done every 5 years? How many home owners get a gas safety check done every year, let alone a boiler service? Soon tenants house will be better insulated than the LL.

While no one can argue against making properties safer via electrical and gas checks, fire alarms, etc, there are now many more stringent requirements compared to an owner-occupier house.
                              Yes but if you are an owner occupier you can choose your own attitude to risk whereas as a tenant you are limited to what is available.

JP suggested the laws are more than adequate but are not implemented, I think he meant enforced. Enforcement is left indirectly to charities such as Shelter, legal aid solicitors and the local authority. Shelter is funded in the most part by local authorities but doesn't have the resources to privately prosecute. There is a dearth of legal aid and local authorities prosecute only very small numbers of the worst offenders, which means most awful landlords get away with offering substandard properties.

There needs to be a robust enforcement system, including against Housing Associations.

There needs to be better landlord training such as a certificate in housing provision overseen by C & G or another provider, which should teach the legal requirements and structure of same.

And there needs to be a coherent housing policy to include building units for single people.

Comment

If the punishment for rogue landlords (PRS and Social) was severe and the fines were increased and ringfenced for LA to educate and enforce both the PRS and Social Housing sectors, it would be a massive incentive for LAs to do their job.

We all welcome the chance to learn and to make reasonable changes if needed - what we don't welcome is the one size fits all baseball bat approach of many LAs

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X