Cakes and wear and tear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cakes and wear and tear!

Ok this is a tricky one i'm sure as I'm at a loss! So, my tenant wants to bake a few cakes part time at my property. She is in full time employment but now on her own and needs some extra income. she's done ok for friends and wants do it legitimately. However my concern is wear and tear on oven etc has anyone done this with a tenant and charged extra for such or added a clause into the AST to cover this? Added in that they will be allowed to bake from home. I also am thinking I want to avoid people coming to the house for collections etc. Need some advice please

You say there are less people in the property now - so a bit of extra use of the oven isn't going to amount to much - think what wear and tear you've saved on everything else.

However, I would check Insurance to ensure your Tenant is permitted to run a business from the property. Also ensure the Tenant has insurance.

Be aware that business rates "may" be due on part of the property and that your Tenant needs to do hygiene course and register with Council - and obviously declare the income to Rishi.

It's not really your job to ensure most of the above is done BUT I would want some type of written statement from the Tenant to state she is in compliance with all her legal obligations.

Of course, she could have just done it and you'd never know - so at least she did ask.
    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

As per the above plus i would require that if the oven is part of the tenancy (ie you replace it when it breaks) that she now becomes responsible for it and if it gives up the ghost then she replaces it, i have a friend who '' bakes '' as a side line and the oven is on all the time, it will take a battering. I would be fine if she does the above and of course if she is a good tenant anyway.

As an aside i would also place my order for a '' free '' Victoria Sponge on a monthly basis

Comment

its just a bit of cake baking, do nothing and let her get on with it. your rent is being paid that's all you should be caring about.

Comment

As well as the issues above, the tenant probably needs planning permission to run a retail baking business from the property, which she will be unable to resolve as a tenant, and any remedial action required by the council could result in her having to leave.

She is probably not aware of this, to be fair, most people wouldn't be.

https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebuilder2 View Post
            its just a bit of cake baking, do nothing and let her get on with it. your rent is being paid that's all you should be caring about.
            It would breach the terms of both my mortgage and insurance, and the council might be unhappy - which is never a good thing for a landlord.

It's the kind of thing that a home owner might risk - entrepreneurs should be encouraged, but it's not the same for a tenant.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As per post #4 in my opinion. Unless it became a proper business, currently its a side-line baking (lets be realistic on top of a full time job) a couple of cakes a week.

Unless that changed I'd not worry about it

Comment

Having re-read the original post - I'm wondering if this Tenant shares the house with the OP as the term "I want to avoid people coming to the house" was used.
                My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
                  Having re-read the original post - I'm wondering if this Tenant shares the house with the OP as the term "I want to avoid people coming to the house" was used.
                  Maybe the OP can confirm but i took it as not wishing a long line of strangers coming and going and getting on the neighbours nerves........ aka similar to a house of disrepute ....... maybe not as busy selling cakes though !

Comment

....I was going to comment - unusually for me, I held back lol

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X