Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's increasingly difficult for me to get any kind of feel for what the market rent for a property might be.

There are no properties available to rent that are similar to mine in the areas that I let.
    The few that do appear vanish in hours and have rents that seem pretty random to me - and, based on a conversation with my letting agent are probably not representative of what rent is actually achieved.

But that seems to be as much about people not moving more than increased demand, it's supply that's collapsed as people are staying put.

Leave a comment:

• landlord-man
    replied
    Originally posted by doobrey View Post

Personally I cannot envisage a scenario where I would max out the rent being charged to my tenants so that I could enjoy 'a few nice holidays'. (In case anyone was wondering why landlords tend to be so widely despised...)
    That's one way to look at it lol

I would look at it that I would be charging EXACTLY THE SAME as every other similar property in the area as that is the MARKET RATE for that property.

Yes, I'd use the money to enjoy a few nice holidays - or to maintain the property to a high standard (as I also said but which was conveniently ignored lol).

Tenants - just like grocery shoppers - will ALWAYS complain about price rises so I guess every business is to be despised.

Personally, I think the LLs who break the Law are the ones to be despised but if you wish to generalise then it's your viewpoint.

Provide a well maintained property at the correct rent and you will have tenants banging on your door.

I do wonder how some of you "social landlords" will cope when you have to adapt your property(s) to meet EPC targets or install new heat pumps etc - you'll wish you had that "holiday fund" ready then. Don't forget you wont be able to hike your rents as your conscience won't allow it.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Ahem. *fairly.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Approach depends on various factors - including perhaps most obviously whether they are good tenants.

Personally I cannot envisage a scenario where I would max out the rent being charged to my tenants so that I could enjoy 'a few nice holidays'. (In case anyone was wondering why landlords tend to be so widely despised...)

Agree with the approach suggested in post #7. Discuss with the tenants, point out that they are paying below market rent and implement stepped increases. A fairy widely-accepted tenet of business is to leave something on the table.

You can of course evict using Section 21 for any reason if you wish, once they are out of fixed term.

It wasn't the original question, but FWIW consensus here always seems to be to let tenancies go periodic.

Leave a comment:

• landlord-man
    replied
    So the Country is NOT drastically short of rental properties after all then.

Maybe just me being lucky then as i have people waiting to move in before anyone moves out - and thats without advertising.

Leave a comment:

• mokka
    replied
    Agree with everyone else here really. Push it up high enough and they will have their feathers ruffled and may leave out of spite leaving a void.

Leave a comment:

• flyingfreehold
    replied
    It is a paradox but you will make more money as a landlord in the end by charging less than the best open market rent. This is because your tenant will tend to stay put, so less void time, less refreshing the property between lets, less default, less wear and tear with people moving in and out. Also if the tenants think they are getting a damned good deal, in my experience they are less inclined to take the P155. Ive got a few tenants holding over as assured periodic tenants for in excess of ten years

Leave a comment:

• Ted.E.Bear
    replied
    Things have been very volatile lately, I suspect partly due to the uncertainty amongst students over the summer having a knock-on effect.
    Rents were much lower a couple of months ago, then shot up near the start of term, they may not stay as high.

You may get £800, for 3 months, then a void, then a refurbishment, then a new tenant at £700, who doesn't pay their rent and trashes the place...
    Or you may get £800 a month going forward, and everything is fine, who really knows?

Leave a comment:

• landlord-man
    replied
    But you'd still be doing yourself out of £1,800 per year.

You're going to waste another 3 years after that getting to todays market rent of £800 - which by then will probably be £900+

You're missing out on a few nice holidays or the cost in redecorating, recarpeting your investment for "free"

Add to thst, you are helping to keep the LHA rates low in your area too. But I guess the rest of us taxpayers can thank you.

So, only one losing is you then.

Leave a comment:

• TREK
    replied
    I have no intention of evicting my tenants but funny you should mention £50 per month as i thought that would be a reasonable amount as well.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    I would suggest you might get away with £50 pcm increase with an explanation that a rent has not gone up for 4 years so there needs to be a significant rent rise. Then £25 cpm each year until you have caught up bit. Seems unfair to evict tenants for you taking you eye off the ball!

Leave a comment:

• TREK
    replied
    Landlords are actually getting £800 as there is a massive demand in the area as very few properties available for rent, the market has gone crazy, £1200 for a 3 bed semi in Liverpool.

Leave a comment:

• Neelix
    replied
    Is the £800 what they are being advertised for or what LL's are actually getting?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It does seem a huge increase in four years.

Leave a comment:

• TREK
    replied
    Yes i fully understand where you are coming from with the £2400 rent increase.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
    by Hudson01
    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
  • Advice Needed
    by Confused2022
    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
  • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Hudson01
    I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
    16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
  • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Laurasplog
    We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
    by theartfullodger
    What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
    16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
    16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
    16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
    by theartfullodger
    In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
    16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
Working...
X