Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    There is no maximum you can raise the rent to from a legal point of view.
    There is obviously a limit to what the tenant can afford.

You can ask the tenant to leave at the end of a tenancy period, but they don't have to (which would compel you to go to court to repossess) or, if your tenancy allows for it, you can let the lease become periodic and impose a new rent using a section 13 notice.

Decent rent paying tenants are a great thing to have and most people couldn't take a £2,400 per annum jump in rent.

Leave a comment:

• TREK
    started a topic Rent Increase

Rent Increase

I am a landlord and have been letting a property out to tenants for £600 PCM for 4 years with no rent increases, i have not had my eye on the ball for 18 months and have just found out that very similar properties in the area are going for £800 PCM. What is the maximum i could raise the rent at the end of the tenancy if they signed for another 12 months? Also could i ask the tenant to leave at the end of the tenancy and rent it to a new tenant for £800 PCM? Or is that option illegal. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
    by Hudson01
    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
  • Advice Needed
    by Confused2022
    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
  • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Hudson01
    I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
    16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
  • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Laurasplog
    We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
    by theartfullodger
    What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
    16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
    16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
    16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
    by theartfullodger
    In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
    16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
Working...
X