Rent Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doobrey View Post

Personally I cannot envisage a scenario where I would max out the rent being charged to my tenants so that I could enjoy 'a few nice holidays'. (In case anyone was wondering why landlords tend to be so widely despised...)
    That's one way to look at it lol

I would look at it that I would be charging EXACTLY THE SAME as every other similar property in the area as that is the MARKET RATE for that property.

Yes, I'd use the money to enjoy a few nice holidays - or to maintain the property to a high standard (as I also said but which was conveniently ignored lol).

Tenants - just like grocery shoppers - will ALWAYS complain about price rises so I guess every business is to be despised.

Personally, I think the LLs who break the Law are the ones to be despised but if you wish to generalise then it's your viewpoint.

Provide a well maintained property at the correct rent and you will have tenants banging on your door.

I do wonder how some of you "social landlords" will cope when you have to adapt your property(s) to meet EPC targets or install new heat pumps etc - you'll wish you had that "holiday fund" ready then. Don't forget you wont be able to hike your rents as your conscience won't allow it.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

It's increasingly difficult for me to get any kind of feel for what the market rent for a property might be.

There are no properties available to rent that are similar to mine in the areas that I let.
      The few that do appear vanish in hours and have rents that seem pretty random to me - and, based on a conversation with my letting agent are probably not representative of what rent is actually achieved.

But that seems to be as much about people not moving more than increased demand, it's supply that's collapsed as people are staying put.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
        by Lawcruncher
        There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” Equally, there are those who are obsessive about cleaning. In the middle somewhere is a group who do not feel inclined to take great care of a rented...
        27-01-2022, 18:24 PM
      • Is time more important than money?
        by jpucng62
        Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
        Garden was left in a mess...
        27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Lawcruncher
        There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and in some cases a significant number of people come to believe it. The bank.charges affair was a classic case. Another was the belief that landlord's were obliged to mitigate their loss when a tenant abandons property and owes rent....
        27-01-2022, 18:06 PM
      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Piffy
        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
        by ash72
        Most likely, also depending on the age and sex of the children, they will need separate rooms eventually, so wont be a long term T. Get ready to serve notice. I would also check your insurance policy, as I renewed one of my policies recently, and I was just checking if they would still cover me if I...
        27-01-2022, 18:02 PM
      • Tenant has moved partner in.
        by Alison Laws
        My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
        27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
      • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
        by JK0
        Sounds like the usual benefit swindle to me. (Make believe you're a single mum to get your rent paid, then move your partner in on the QT.)
        27-01-2022, 17:47 PM
      • Reply to Is time more important than money?
        by ash72
        Just a general observation, was no periodic inspections during the tenancy? Fine line between a T trying to fix things and messing it up and getting someone competent to do it right..... I know which I would prefer, on the cleaning side, I find that all T's are super excited to be moving into a place,...
        27-01-2022, 17:47 PM
      • Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
        by Landyman
        I'd use it when advertising your flat - it's better than some I've seen on Rightmove!...
        27-01-2022, 17:39 PM
      • Flat rental bathroom query
        by NewGuyOne
        Hello,

A rented flat with a toilet (of course) and basin next to the kitchen, and a bedroom with a quite small en suite - shower/basin/rail for towel ... Is this acceptable in a flat - with no additional separate bathroom?

Flat consists of 1 bedroom en suite, hallway, lounge,...
        16-01-2022, 20:13 PM
      Working...
      X