Rent Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Increase

I am a landlord and have been letting a property out to tenants for £600 PCM for 4 years with no rent increases, i have not had my eye on the ball for 18 months and have just found out that very similar properties in the area are going for £800 PCM. What is the maximum i could raise the rent at the end of the tenancy if they signed for another 12 months? Also could i ask the tenant to leave at the end of the tenancy and rent it to a new tenant for £800 PCM? Or is that option illegal. Thank you in advance for any replies.

There is no maximum you can raise the rent to from a legal point of view.
    There is obviously a limit to what the tenant can afford.

You can ask the tenant to leave at the end of a tenancy period, but they don't have to (which would compel you to go to court to repossess) or, if your tenancy allows for it, you can let the lease become periodic and impose a new rent using a section 13 notice.

Decent rent paying tenants are a great thing to have and most people couldn't take a £2,400 per annum jump in rent.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes i fully understand where you are coming from with the £2400 rent increase.

Comment

It does seem a huge increase in four years.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is the £800 what they are being advertised for or what LL's are actually getting?

Comment

Landlords are actually getting £800 as there is a massive demand in the area as very few properties available for rent, the market has gone crazy, £1200 for a 3 bed semi in Liverpool.

Comment

I would suggest you might get away with £50 pcm increase with an explanation that a rent has not gone up for 4 years so there needs to be a significant rent rise. Then £25 cpm each year until you have caught up bit. Seems unfair to evict tenants for you taking you eye off the ball!

Comment

I have no intention of evicting my tenants but funny you should mention £50 per month as i thought that would be a reasonable amount as well.

Comment

But you'd still be doing yourself out of £1,800 per year.

You're going to waste another 3 years after that getting to todays market rent of £800 - which by then will probably be £900+

You're missing out on a few nice holidays or the cost in redecorating, recarpeting your investment for "free"

Add to thst, you are helping to keep the LHA rates low in your area too. But I guess the rest of us taxpayers can thank you.

So, only one losing is you then.
                  My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Things have been very volatile lately, I suspect partly due to the uncertainty amongst students over the summer having a knock-on effect.
                    Rents were much lower a couple of months ago, then shot up near the start of term, they may not stay as high.

You may get £800, for 3 months, then a void, then a refurbishment, then a new tenant at £700, who doesn't pay their rent and trashes the place...
                    Or you may get £800 a month going forward, and everything is fine, who really knows?

Comment

It is a paradox but you will make more money as a landlord in the end by charging less than the best open market rent. This is because your tenant will tend to stay put, so less void time, less refreshing the property between lets, less default, less wear and tear with people moving in and out. Also if the tenants think they are getting a damned good deal, in my experience they are less inclined to take the P155. Ive got a few tenants holding over as assured periodic tenants for in excess of ten years

Comment

Agree with everyone else here really. Push it up high enough and they will have their feathers ruffled and may leave out of spite leaving a void.

Comment

So the Country is NOT drastically short of rental properties after all then.

Maybe just me being lucky then as i have people waiting to move in before anyone moves out - and thats without advertising.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Approach depends on various factors - including perhaps most obviously whether they are good tenants.

Personally I cannot envisage a scenario where I would max out the rent being charged to my tenants so that I could enjoy 'a few nice holidays'. (In case anyone was wondering why landlords tend to be so widely despised...)

Agree with the approach suggested in post #7. Discuss with the tenants, point out that they are paying below market rent and implement stepped increases. A fairy widely-accepted tenet of business is to leave something on the table.

You can of course evict using Section 21 for any reason if you wish, once they are out of fixed term.

It wasn't the original question, but FWIW consensus here always seems to be to let tenancies go periodic.
                            There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Ahem. *fairly.
                              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                by theartfullodger
                                Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                                06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                              • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                by Livingonaprayer
                                Hi all.
                                I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                                Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                                06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by AndrewDod
                                If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                                06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                              • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by Bert1e
                                Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                by alice123
                                I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                                06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                              • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                by llplug
                                I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                                19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                              • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                by KTC
                                The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                                06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                by Hudson01
                                This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                                06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                              • Accelerated possession order
                                by Pariah81
                                A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                                05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                by L4NDLORD
                                this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                                06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X