Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    The proposed change was the idea of the last but one Housing Minister, it's hanging around, but no one is interested in supporting it, because it's not their baby.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    I think they're worried about getting it wrong - the Tenant Fees Act backfired in terms of tenants having pets!

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    A tad surprised, nice to see that listening to both sides of an argument has not gone out of fashion

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    No proposal for any change before 2022 at the earliest.
    https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/brea...per-until-2022

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I doubt they will even have a '' fudge '', i suspect they will simply ignore it and be designated as exempt. They have with EICR as far as i understand ..... why not EPC ?

Remember that if the council stock/housing association stock have to abide by the EPC C then the funding will either come from central govt or the council tax payers of each local authority...... NOT a chance in hell that will ever happen.

Leave a comment:

• AlexR
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim View Post
    If the government proceeds with the EPC minimum of grade C this will effectively kill the PRS in large parts of the Country ..
    I wonder whether the social housing will have to fall in line too? I imagine much of that will not be EPC C either and indeed some of it is not even fit for habitation. I suspect that a fudge of the EPC system will come along to save the day.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim View Post
    . The government has a naive view that tenants will just become house owners, some will but a high proportion simply wouldn't be able to get a mortgage..
    A very good point, its not just the govt who think this, a great many of the general public think that if all LL's simply disappeared then the housing crisis would be over........ just as naive.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    So, prices would have to fall, in order to bring into the market people who can only afford to pay less.
    So landlords would have to discount quickly so as to be first to sell, before prices drop further.
    I am not so sure, i see any sell off happening between 2024 and 2028, as we are seeing at present the number of properties for sale is at an all time low, i can see this continuing into the future with a lack of houses being built and an increasing population, i envisage our properties simply dropping into the pool and being snapped up, no dropping of price over and above the normal market prices at the time.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    We will end up with a 2 tier housing market - older properties falling in value maybe and being snapped up by owner occupiers who don’t need to achieve EPC C and who the Govt can’t force and then the modern houses which already EPC C attracting a premium and LLs outbidding owner occupiers for these properties. The PRS will be smaller, rents higher and those people not eligible for social housing and unable to afford the PRS renting unregulated, unsafe properties from rogue LLs who flout the law because there is no other choice.

Leave a comment:

• Kape65
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    So, prices would have to fall, in order to bring into the market people who can only afford to pay less.
    So landlords would have to discount quickly so as to be first to sell, before prices drop further.
    Exactly the scenario I envisage.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Assuming the EPC change is introduced, it will be interesting to see who will buy the properties being sold off.
    It won't be landlords, because the properties would require big upgrades to make them lettable, and there's only so much pent up demand from people who can afford to buy but can't find somewhere to purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Grim
    replied
    If the government proceeds with the EPC minimum of grade C this will effectively kill the PRS in large parts of the Country . This will lead to a mass exodus from the sector and a lack of property to rent. This in turn I would expect to lead to significantly increased levels of homelessness. The government has a naive view that tenants will just become house owners, some will but a high proportion simply wouldn't be able to get a mortgage.

My hope is that this scenario will at some point become so obvious that the government will step back from this course of action as generally homeless people don't vote.

Leave a comment:

• Kape65
    replied
    Originally posted by Lesney Park View Post

Source?

Of course, they have said no such thing. The government is considering linking mortgages to green home improvements and could impose targets for lenders if insufficient progress is made. So lenders will incentivise (ie give cheaper rates) for those properties with better EPC levels.
    But if the green mortgage scheme is not successful and housing stock upgrade targets are not met then the government is proposing to make it mandatory for lenders to have all properties within their managed portfolios reach EPC Band C by 2030.

LandlordZONE

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon66 View Post

Not to mention those in the PRS stuck with cladding issues, but that seems to have been forgotten 🤔
    Agree, although i am not affected by the scandal i have followed the campaign on Twitter, it all goes to show that this, and previous governments, have not a care in the world about the ordinary person trying to get through life, they do not give a toss.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
    He actually said that during the pandemic with the rise in property prices we had done '' well '''.......... totally deluded.
    Not to mention those in the PRS stuck with cladding issues, but that seems to have been forgotten 🤔

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
    by JK0
    I thought it would be our fault in some way....
    27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
  • Is time more important than money?
    by jpucng62
    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess...
    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
    by Lawcruncher
    There are those who follow Quintin Crisp: “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.” Equally, there are those who are obsessive about cleaning. In the middle somewhere is a group who do not feel inclined to take great care of a rented...
    27-01-2022, 18:24 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Lawcruncher
    There is a lot of misinformation on the internet and in some cases a significant number of people come to believe it. The bank.charges affair was a classic case. Another was the belief that landlord's were obliged to mitigate their loss when a tenant abandons property and owes rent....
    27-01-2022, 18:06 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by ash72
    Most likely, also depending on the age and sex of the children, they will need separate rooms eventually, so wont be a long term T. Get ready to serve notice. I would also check your insurance policy, as I renewed one of my policies recently, and I was just checking if they would still cover me if I...
    27-01-2022, 18:02 PM
  • Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Alison Laws
    My tenant who is 4 months into her tenancy agreement has moved her partner in without permission and Im wondering can use this to issue a new tenancy agreement with his name on it. She isn't the easiest tenant and I would also like to add an agreement break to the new tenancy because of the difficulty...
    27-01-2022, 15:30 PM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by JK0
    Sounds like the usual benefit swindle to me. (Make believe you're a single mum to get your rent paid, then move your partner in on the QT.)
    27-01-2022, 17:47 PM
    by ash72
    Just a general observation, was no periodic inspections during the tenancy? Fine line between a T trying to fix things and messing it up and getting someone competent to do it right..... I know which I would prefer, on the cleaning side, I find that all T's are super excited to be moving into a place,...
    27-01-2022, 17:47 PM
  • Reply to Flat rental bathroom query
    by Landyman
    I'd use it when advertising your flat - it's better than some I've seen on Rightmove!...
    27-01-2022, 17:39 PM
Working...
X