Section 21 abolition - timetable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will end up with a 2 tier housing market - older properties falling in value maybe and being snapped up by owner occupiers who don’t need to achieve EPC C and who the Govt can’t force and then the modern houses which already EPC C attracting a premium and LLs outbidding owner occupiers for these properties. The PRS will be smaller, rents higher and those people not eligible for social housing and unable to afford the PRS renting unregulated, unsafe properties from rogue LLs who flout the law because there is no other choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      So, prices would have to fall, in order to bring into the market people who can only afford to pay less.
      So landlords would have to discount quickly so as to be first to sell, before prices drop further.
      I am not so sure, i see any sell off happening between 2024 and 2028, as we are seeing at present the number of properties for sale is at an all time low, i can see this continuing into the future with a lack of houses being built and an increasing population, i envisage our properties simply dropping into the pool and being snapped up, no dropping of price over and above the normal market prices at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        . The government has a naive view that tenants will just become house owners, some will but a high proportion simply wouldn't be able to get a mortgage..
        A very good point, its not just the govt who think this, a great many of the general public think that if all LL's simply disappeared then the housing crisis would be over........ just as naive.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
          If the government proceeds with the EPC minimum of grade C this will effectively kill the PRS in large parts of the Country ..
          I wonder whether the social housing will have to fall in line too? I imagine much of that will not be EPC C either and indeed some of it is not even fit for habitation. I suspect that a fudge of the EPC system will come along to save the day.

Comment

I doubt they will even have a '' fudge '', i suspect they will simply ignore it and be designated as exempt. They have with EICR as far as i understand ..... why not EPC ?

Remember that if the council stock/housing association stock have to abide by the EPC C then the funding will either come from central govt or the council tax payers of each local authority...... NOT a chance in hell that will ever happen.

Comment

No proposal for any change before 2022 at the earliest.
              https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/brea...per-until-2022
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

A tad surprised, nice to see that listening to both sides of an argument has not gone out of fashion

Comment

I think they're worried about getting it wrong - the Tenant Fees Act backfired in terms of tenants having pets!

Comment

The proposed change was the idea of the last but one Housing Minister, it's hanging around, but no one is interested in supporting it, because it's not their baby.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X