X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curtain Rails

Hi All,

Hope your all well!

I have recently started to rent a place, before moving in/signing of papers the Estate Agent showed it to us virtually (2nd September) because it was not ready yet for potential tenants to view (the Building was not complete), We instantly liked the place, it was unfurnished which was fine for me as we already had furniture, However, we could see no blinds or Curtains or even the fixtures for some to be installed, the very next day I called the Estate Agent and spoke to him about what the Landlord would do about Curtains/Blinds we (Wife&Me) wanted Curtain rails in as we had seen some lovely curtains, and as we would not have any use for the rails after, I thought to ask the question about what could be done, The estate agent had stated that they would ask the Landlord, Anyway Later that day I called back, the Estate Agent had an update for us and advised that the Landlord had agreed to put in Curtain Rails, Result! Fast forward a week before the move, I called the estate agent to check everything was on schedule as the certificates had not been given and also to check if the curtain rails had been installed? they had told me that everything would be fine and that there was nothing to worry about they would call the Landlord to check when the curtains would be done, A couple of days later, the Estate agent told me that the Landlord was being difficult and was now refusing to do this request and was rescinding on their agreement. I exclaimed that they had already agreed to this with the Landlord how could he possibly rescind something like this, She assured us that they would be pushing the landlord more now and find a way around it.

I have spoken to my neighbor who took the place furnished and they are having the same issue, mine is the worst as it is the ground floor and faces the street, my neighbor is around the back so it is a lot more secure, and anybody can see into mine, The estate agent even sent in someone a few days ago to take some measurements of my place and my neighbors so we could get a quote over to the Landlord.

Today however I got an email to state that the Landlord is not willing to pay for Curtain Rails to be installed, but is happy for me to do it, I have no use for them after we leave, the fixtures in the wall worry me I just don't want to drill into walls as this will potentially cause issues for when I leave, I will have to put it back the way I received the property, Which means filling the hole and painting over it, I have recordings of my calls with the Estate agent although nothing in writing. Surely this would come under a Health & Safety issue, All my belongings are in plain sight, I am practically advertising my stuff to would-be thieves.

Thanks for making it this far, would really appreciate your assistance on this?

Get it in writing or dont move in - too late now.

I guess it does pre-warn you what the LL is like going forward.

And with that in mind, be sure you record the condition of everything in the Inventory and highlight even the tiniest defect.

I guess you could write to the LL thanking him for being permitted to buy and fit your own curtain poles, but with you not being a handyman type and never fitted any before the condition of the fixings and surrounding wall obviously wont be as good as him arranging for it to be done,but at least he is acknowleging that.

It may get him to see sense.
    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

I'd suggest to the agent that you'll pay someone to do the work (someone like hilariy's blinds so the landlord can have a guarantee) and deduct the cost from the rent.
      The landlord can't simply decide not to do something they've agreed to do, and the agent should be telling them that, particularly as the agent knows that the agreement was made, because they passed the message on.

It's not really a health and safety issue, it's a contractual issue - the landlord agreed to do something as a condition of you signing the contract and they're now in breach.
      You are entitled to compensation for any loss that arises that would be reasonable foreseeable, and your loss is the cost to you of doing what the landlord agreed to do but didn't.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

OK it's a niggle. But is it realy worth you stressing about it?

For the cost of a curtain rail/track (look on Argos, they range from about £10 to about £30) just put up your own rail, which is even better because you can choose which type/style you want.

Don't bother about fixing holes when you move out, just leave the curtain rails in place.
        (When you do move out you can even tell the LL that you are gifting them to him).

PS. My new flat came with vertical blinds fitted but there is also a full length, 2"x3/4", wooden batten fixed above each window for if someone wants to fit a curtain rail to it.
        I think that's a neat solution that other LL's might take note of - Once the batten is up you don't have to drill the walls to fit a curtain rail (so tenants don't need a hammer drill), any screw holes made in the wood will be easier to fill if needed, and in the worse case the whole batten can simply be replaced using the original wall fixings.

Comment

Not so easy or affordable having to do 10 rooms throughout a property though - and I think the OP is concerned about his handyman skills going wrong and being held accountable.
          My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Landlords cost to install …… it’s people like this with no social responsibility that give LLs a bad name

as above get Hillaries round to quote

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the LL hadn't been asked when the LA said he'd agreed to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                Landlords cost to install …… it’s people like this with no social responsibility that give LLs a bad name
                I agree. I am always surprised when tenants want to wait until the property has been redecorated / recarpeted etc before agreeing to sign because I always do what I say I am going to do - but then you see stories like this and realise that some LLs just don't.

It's a really difficult situation because it can be quite expensive to put up rails in every window, particularly if you have to pay someone else to do it, and unless you plan to stay not really financially worth it. I guess the LL thinks this is a way to get them put in for free. If you do end up putting them in then I would certainly be taking them down when you leave - give them to a charity shop if you can't use them!

I can't see any realistic way to get the LL to comply with his agreement so unless you want to walk away and risk losing any money already paid you will have to find a cheap remedy yourself. Plastic curtain track is much cheaper than poles and a decent handyman would be able to put several up in half a day. I would get this sorted then ask the letting agent to deduct from your rent. You can threaten breach of contract, MCOL etc but you may just have to accept it as a cost of renting. certainly get and keep receipts and you may be able to use it when you leave in any deposit dispute.

Sorry I can't offer a better solution, but this is one of those situations where although you are in the right it is pretty impossible to force the LL to do the right thing.

PS I think Hilarys are really expensive so if you are picking up the bill I would not use them.

Comment

It really is sad that we reach the stage of needing everything in writing these days isn't it.

Nearly every LL I know would insist that the poles/rails were fitted pre-tenancy in order for it to go on the Inventory.

But to lure in Tenants and then go back on your word is just plain wrong.

So, because of things like this, the Tenants need it in writing - the LA should get it in writing from the LL and then put it in writing to the Tenant.

The LA cannot do much if the LL is a **** (insert own expletive) but at least they can provide the Tenant with paperwork that just maybe the Tenant can use to get the work done or repaid.

Now - how many LAs would do that and risk losing the LL; even if he/she is a **** (insert another expletive).

LL licensing will hopefully address such things BUT at the time and expense of all the decent LLs out there (who are thankfully still the vast majority)

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thank you sooo much for all your replies, overwhelmed to see how many people sympathized and offered solutions.
                    ​​​​​
                    ​​​​​It looks like we are slightly screwed here, I feel so silly not to have it in writing, I may have to try the route of getting somebody in and then having them try and deduct it from the rent, But would the recorded calls not work, I have the calls where they stated the landlord had agreed to it.

I am quite appalled by the whole process, They have such a simple job, I already have a quote now for £350 to do six windows they range from double windows that are floor to almost ceiling, to singular ones again floor to ceiling, The agro this is causing for both myself and Neighbor is crazy, You would think for a brand new development something this simple can be done with relative ease they still have builders on site!

I am yet to send back the inventory, So will defo take up the solution of writing all and any defects in,unfortunately leaving is not an option for me as I have my wife's Visa attached to it (She has had some health scares) so I am racing against the clock to get her back in the country because of Covid we were unable to get her back in so ordinaryly I would bite the bullet pay the money and get the rail in, And fight it later. Right now we have just had to spend a small fortune, I really need the landlord to do this for us.

Honestly I would probably have just stayed in my old place if they had told me they were not going to put them up, The agro is not worth it, I can for see all the problems this is potentially going to create for me and it's kind of getting me down, there is something in the contract which states I need to put the property back in the condition it was let, so am I right in thinking even if I gifted them to him then it would be an issue of whether he accepted it or not? And would anything in writing be enough to take precedence over the contract itself?

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                      PS. My new flat came with vertical blinds fitted but there is also a full length, 2"x3/4", wooden batten fixed above each window for if someone wants to fit a curtain rail to it.
                      I think that's a neat solution that other LL's might take note of - Once the batten is up you don't have to drill the walls to fit a curtain rail (so tenants don't need a hammer drill), any screw holes made in the wood will be easier to fill if needed, and in the worse case the whole batten can simply be replaced using the original wall fixings.
                      That is exactly what i do with all my properties, i had this done in every room and it works a treat, as you say it makes the task of putting up various curtain tracks or whatever a lot easier. I renovated my properties in full when i get them so i simply add it into the mix of jobs to do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X