Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unauthorized door replacement

Hello,
    I heard through the agency that manages my property that the tenant had become locked in the bathroom at around 05:30 in the morning and called the fire service, who proceeded to knock down the front door to the flat, and let him out of the bathroom. The tenant did not call the agencies 24 hours line. The front door was beyond repair.
    That day, before I or the agency was informed of this incident, the tenant arranged for a temporary door to be fitted (without my authorisation). Later that afternoon, I was informed by the agency of the incident.
    I immediately contacted the housing association who part own my property (it's a shared ownership property), and was informed that they themselves must fit the temporary door, and the new permanent door. This was the correct course of action since the front door to my flat is covered by their building insurance, and the door must meet specific fire and safety requirements.
    The following morning they removed the temporary door the tenant had himself arranged to be fitted, then fitted their own temporary door which met their requirements. A couple of days later they fitted the new permanent door.

The tenant is now seeking to be compensated for the temporary door he decided to arrange himself.

The tenancy agreement he signed says that all repairs must be arranged through the agency managing the property, and that in order to change the locks, he must have written consent from the landlord. He followed none of this advice when replacing the door himself.

I am just writing to get others thoughts on this situation, and whether the tenant has any grounds to be compensated.

Wot!

Why did he become locked in the bathroom? Depending on the reason he would be responsible for the entire fiasco, not asking for compensation.

Comment

My first thought is no he should not be compensated, my 2nd thought is as per above.... how the hell can you get locked in your own bathroom !!!

Comment

Doesn't sound right, in the bathroom (what type of door or lock was it) and just happened to have a phone with them in the early hours of the morning to be able to call for help......

Comment

I don't see anything suspicious about it, it's hardly the first case of a lock failing and locking someone in. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6283494.stm
          https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ndon-mayor-spt

I doubt that trawling through the tenancy agreement was the top priority at the time, arranging an emergency door is a perfectly reasonable thing for anyone to do.

Comment

Are we sure we're not doing someone's essay here?

Someone's letting a property that has shared ownership with a housing association?
            How was that allowed to happen?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by bms9nmh
              Apparently the lock on the inside came off in his hand. I have no idea why he would have the phone with him in the bathroom at this hour. It's very strange.
              The phone is simple, people carry them everywhere all the time.
              And, in an emergency, it would be handy.

I'm not sure how a door lock can "come off", but I'd probably decline to pay for the door that wasn't fitted as it should have been.
              I can understand why the tenant called the fire brigade if they were trapped, but no one buys a replacement door in a panic.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Would the fire brigade really break a door down on the strength of a phone call with no imminent danger to life ? Surely such a policy would be open to abuse from malicious ex-wifes or tenants.
                Wouldn't they just say "ring your landlord"?

Comment

UPDATE - THIS POST WAS ADDED AFTER MY ORIGINAL WAS "UNAPPROVED" (WHICH HAS NOW APPEARED) - I'M NOT DOUBLE-POSTING lol

Only one question for you.

When the tenant is locked in the bathroom due to a broken catch on the door in your property, how does the tenant phone you or the agent to ask if they can replace the front door not yet damaged?

We all know 999 or 101 but the LAs 24/7 helpline number? That's probably hidden in paperwork to avoid them being disturbed at 3am.

They then secured the property with a temporary door.

IF they had lost their keys, it would be their fault.

Because your faulty door catch/lock trapped them inside, then its down to you.

Hopefully they didnt miss work and lose money, because if it was me, I'd be asking for that from you.
                  My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

So, the door was not replaced at the time the LA (and subsequently you) were informed? So, it could have been cancelled by the LA or you then.

At which point then does the Housing Association turn up with a front door for your Tenant, who's been without one since approx 5.30am

Personally, I would be focussing on HOW the Tenant became trapped inside your property (the bathroom) - in the case of a fire, you wouldn't have just a temporary door to be concerned about.

Having said that, I would also be having a little chat with a neighbour or two just to establish that the Fire Service were in fact at the property - or perhaps - a "domestic" had kicked off resulting in the damaged door etc.

Just because your Tenant has said it, I wouldn't blindly take it as fact.
                    My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                      Wot! Why did he become locked in the bathroom?
                      HaHa - my wife and I once stayed at a Pontins Hotel on the Isle of Wight - we were allocated a room in a large house on the site, which shared a bathroom.

My wife ran the bath, came to the room to collect something and found we couldn't get back in to the bathroom as the door was stuck.

With the bath steadily filling, I had to run around the camp to Reception in the hope a handyman could free the door or find a ladder to access through the window.

When I returned I found a 10 year old lad with his dad - the lad got out a coin and turned the appropriate place and unlatched the door.

Catastrophe averted.

I did feel a complete plonker though as the little kid walked off with a smug grin

But at least I did learn something - though I am still pretty clueless with DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                        Doesn't sound right, in the bathroom (what type of door or lock was it) and just happened to have a phone with them in the early hours of the morning to be able to call for help......
                        Not unusual at all: http://www.three.co.uk/hub/what-to-d...-down-the-loo/

To me it sounds like the tenant thought he was doing a good deed by arranging for the temporary door and making the property secure.

He's just made a mistake in how he should have gone about it. That's his error, so at his cost.

However in light of the fact that he thought he was doing the best to secure your property, and that the bathroom door lock seems to have been faulty, you might be willing to share part of the cost?

That's always assuming that his story is true, and there wasn't some other reason for the door being broken in.
                        (Police raid? Angry ex? Someone coming to beat him up?).
                        Have you checked his story, ie. asked the neighbours if the were disturbed by the Fire Service turning up in the early morning, asked the Fire Service about why they broke the door down? Checked the bathroom lock?

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
                          With the bath steadily filling, I had to run around the camp to Reception in the hope a handyman could free the door or find a ladder to access through the window.
                          Not physically being in a room where a bath is running (i.e. not switching off the tap when you leave a room) is not an accident or act of God. It is in the same category of negligence and liability as deliberately lighting a bonfire in the living room and then saying it is an accident when the place catches fire.

On the main thread, most internal doors are easily kicked open (albeit with damage) by any adult, even a weakling.

Comment

Not physically being in a room where a bath is running (i.e. not switching off the tap when you leave a room) is not an accident or act of God.
                            My post was intended as a bit of humour, while also pointing out that not everybody is DIY competent.

On the main thread, most internal doors are easily kicked open (albeit with damage) by any adult, even a weakling.
                            Not from the inside of an inward opening door they're not. Hence the call for help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                              by theartfullodger
                              Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                              06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                            • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                              by Livingonaprayer
                              Hi all.
                              I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                              Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                              06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by AndrewDod
                              If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                              06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by Bert1e
                              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                            • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                              by alice123
                              I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                              06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                            • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                              by llplug
                              I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                              19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by KTC
                              The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                              06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                            • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                              by Hudson01
                              This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                              06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                            • Accelerated possession order
                              by Pariah81
                              A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                              05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                            • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                              by L4NDLORD
                              this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                              06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                            Working...
                            X