Can I use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for a 2 month rental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stanleyman View Post
    To repeat, the reason I want an ASL in place (and not a holiday let, for example) is that it is legally allowed under my leasehold agreement whereas other forms of short term letting are not
    What kind of tenancy is in place doesn't depend on what the documentation says, it depends on the facts of the situation.
    That's a little bit of a simplification, but broadly correct.

So you could use an AST agreement, protect the deposit and comply with all the regulations, but it could be that the tenancy isn't an AST, because a court or tribunal could (correctly in my view) decide that no one really lives somewhere for 2 months while " work[ing] remotely / enjoy[ing] leisure time."
    Which could put you in breach of your lease.

In real life, I doubt it would matter - if the freeholder complained, the issue would be resolved by the tenant moving out rather than anything more serious.

For the avoidance of doubt, the occupants couldn't become squatters, they might refuse to move out, but that would be because they would continue to be tenants (if its an AST) or trespassers (if it's a holiday let or a guest arrangement).

I really think you want them to be paying guests, as I can't see how that would breach the lease (although I obviously haven't read it). You're not parting with possession in any material way.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thankyou - I didnt realise that there was this degree of subjectivity in place regarding what an ASL was or wasn't. Government guidance on ASL's doesn't say anything about a minimum period and so I assumed there wasn't one.

Regarding my leasehold agreement, it says:

"Not at any time during the said term to assign underlet or part with possession of part only of the Demised Premises

Not at any time during the said term to underlet the Demised Premises as a whole except by a shorthold tenancy or otherwise so as to prevent the creation of a regulated tenancy within the meaning of the Rent Act 1977 or any statutory re-enactment or amendment thereof"

I received legal advice on this before which basically said that the lease does not preclude me from having an ASL (although I understand, informally, that the Freeholders are not happy with people holiday letting their flats e.g. through Air B n B).

You are right that I am not too worried about the Freeholder complaining - I would deal with that when it comes and just get rid of the guests (or wait for their stay to naturally expire) - I don't see this as a major issue.

What I am worried about (and why I am doing all this) is safety / public liability issues. E.g. if the guest has an accident in my flat and dies. If the guest accidentally leaves the taps on and floods all the downstairs flats. If the guest causes a fire which damages next door.

I'm trying to protect myself from these "major incident" risks. I'm trying to work out how I can do this.

Thankyou again for any advice! Its really really appreciated.

Comment

This is the advice I got from a lawyer when I showed them the leasehold agreement FYI - (I was asking whether I was permitted to receive air b n b guests under the terms)
        The lease terms are ambiguous .

If you enter into an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) with any occupier the occupation should not create a regulated tenancy - so the lease suggests that this is permitted - Schedule 4 paragraph (i)

But I understand because of the short duration of the occupation through Air Bnb no AST is likely to be entered into.

My guess is that a form of Licence is created when you deal through Air Bnb but I would need clearer instructions. Most people using Air BnB never seek advice from solicitors.

The provision in the lease (4th Schedule paragraph (i)) talks about permitting “an underletting or otherwise”. If a Licence is created via Air BnB then this could be argued to fall within the words “or otherwise”.

Comment

What I am worried about (and why I am doing all this) is safety / public liability issues. E.g. if the guest has an accident in my flat and dies. If the guest accidentally leaves the taps on and floods all the downstairs flats. If the guest causes a fire which damages next door..
          You can only really insure against those kind of risks, they're not avoidable because of the type of lease (they may mean you can't rely on the building's insurance policy, but they're unlikely to completely protect you from the risks you mention anyway.

Tenants, lodgers and guests aren't likely to be treated as members of the public in liability insurance, unless someone's done a very good job of buying the policy.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks again. Another reason I wanted to get an ASL in place is that it seems almost impossible to get landlord insurance without one (unless I am missing something?). Overall it still seems like the best option given that I do not believe guests overstaying is a material risk to me (given their profile)

Comment

Thanks again. Another reason I wanted to get an ASL in place is that it seems almost impossible to get landlord insurance without one (unless I am missing something?). Overall it still seems like the best option given that I do not believe guests overstaying is a material risk to me (given their profile)
              Depends what you mean by landlord's insurance. My buildings policy (freehold house arranged as self contained granny flat and main house) expressly covers me for both ASTs and short term holiday lets. Includes liability to occupiers. Can't recommend my policy or the brokers as I'm going through a claim at the moment and both are terrible, although it is not related to the holiday letting side of things.

Regarding over stays, I've had well over 50 short term (weekend to 2 months) whole home lets and never had an over stay.
              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Thanks again. Another reason I wanted to get an ASL in place is that it seems almost impossible to get landlord insurance without one (unless I am missing something?).
                You're missing out by trying to buy online?

Comment

Thankyou. For the holiday lets does your insurance company require you to have some sort of contract in place with your guests ? If so what contract do you use?

Comment

Thankyou. For the holiday lets does your insurance company require you to have some sort of contract in place with your guests ? If so what contract do you use?
                    No it doesn't require any contract for holiday lets. It does require minimum 6 month for the AST. It also differentiates between AST tenants and holiday let tenants in that AST tenants need to be professionals - holiday lets do not have the same requirements.
                    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                      by theartfullodger
                      Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                      06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                    • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                      by Livingonaprayer
                      Hi all.
                      I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                      Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                      06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                    • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by AndrewDod
                      If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                      06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                    • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by Bert1e
                      Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                      28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                    • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                      by alice123
                      I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                      06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                    • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                      by llplug
                      I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                      19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                    • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by KTC
                      The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                      06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                    • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                      by Hudson01
                      This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                      06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                    • Accelerated possession order
                      by Pariah81
                      A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                      05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                    • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                      by L4NDLORD
                      this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                      06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                    Working...
                    X