Schedule Of works v Improvement Notice v S21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule Of works v Improvement Notice v S21

We are preparing our S21 paperwork to remove an unwanted tenant in an HMO.

The tenant has called the LA to get advice, they then called the council, the Private Sector Housing Officer wants to visit next Wednesday.

Almost certainly the council will issue a "Schedule of Works" even if its small minor things to comply with HMO regs

​​​​​​AN "Improvement Notice" will invalidate a S21.!!

Is a "Schedule of works" the same as an Improvement notice??

Ie has the tenant called the council deliberately to stop us serving the S21??

Originally posted by Paul V View Post
    Ie has the tenant called the council deliberately to stop us serving the S21??
    Quite possibly, but there needs to be more than that to happen.

First of all, calling the council isn't enough to trigger the retaliatory eviction provisions, the tenant has to have pointed out the issues in writing to the landlord and not received a satisfactory reply within 14 days.

And the notice issued subsequently by the local authority has to be one of:
    a notice served under section 11 of the Housing Act 2004 (improvement notices relating to category 1 hazards),
    OR a notice served under section 12 of that Act (improvement notices relating to category 2 hazards), or
    OR a notice served under section 40(7) of that Act (emergency remedial action);

So anything other than one of those notices won't have any effect on the notice.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Get your s21 notice in quick.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
        by DPT57
        Paying arrears has to be a win of sorts. What is the basis of their counterclaim? Does it have any merit?

The retaliatory eviction legislation is very specific and the tenant has to have told you about any disrepair in writing prior to the s21 notice and the Council has to serve a category...
        04-12-2021, 13:46 PM
      • Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
        by Murielle
        Another difficult landlord situation: tenants had rent arrears. We served both section 8 and 21. Just before hearing for possession on section 8 grounds, they paid enough arrears to have it squashed ( still 1 month behind) but used a lawyer to put forward a counterclaim and date for trial is expected...
        03-12-2021, 21:59 PM
      • Reply to help please...
        by john19
        Thank you very much for your reply and all make sense, after reading here on this forum and on the net over the last few days; what I have learnt is do as much as you can to cover yourself just incase you need to issue a section 8 or section 21 notice.

Not sure I'm going over the top but...
        04-12-2021, 13:16 PM
      • help please...
        by john19
        Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement...
        04-12-2021, 09:58 AM
        by jpkeates
        I would, just on the belt and braces basis.

The issue will be that your new tenancy will be a follow on or replacement tenancy and the prescribed information relating to the deposit has a deadline relating to the original receipt of the deposit.
        You'd ideally want some evidence that...
        04-12-2021, 12:58 PM
        by john19
        Hi Ash

Thank you very much for your reply and i am getting this sent over to the dps account i have set up the estate agents told me to do this....
        04-12-2021, 12:52 PM
        by john19
        Thank you for your time and reply very grateful.

If the tenancy agreement had to be changed would i need to issue all these documents again and if i don't get proof of service from the estate agents should i issue them again?

Thank you for your help......
        04-12-2021, 12:50 PM
        by ash72
        Was there a security deposit, you will need to transfer this as well.
        04-12-2021, 12:47 PM
      • Reply to My legal rights about an Inspection
        by jpkeates
        I'd be interested to see where that has been "judicially confirmed" - although I know we disagree on this and there's not a lot of merit in simply restating the same points.

I do accept that a right to inspect doesn't erase the tenant's right to exclusive possession - Bruton v...
        04-12-2021, 12:29 PM
      • My legal rights about an Inspection
        by thegypsyking
        Hi all, I am a tenant who s on a Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The agreement is for 6 months, i have already made an upfront payment for 6 months. Its been couple of months since i moved. My landlord wants to inspect to the flat next week by surveyors, but without me being involved. He wrote me that due...
        03-12-2021, 23:53 PM
      Working...
      X