Landlord moving into the property, are my rights affected

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landlord moving into the property, are my rights affected

    I moved into a property a few months ago there were 3 other tenants already in the property, i agreed with the landlord that i would be there for a year, i didnt get a written tenancy agreement.

    My landlord gave us all 5 weeks eviction notice as she said she was selling the house it has now passed the date the other tenants have left but im still here and i have refused to leave because i havent been giving proper notice.

    Now instead of her selling the house she had rented to someone else who was supposed to be moving in, but now they aren't so instead my landlord is moving into my house. Does this now make me a lodger with basically no rights?

    Thanks in advance

    Without a tenancy agreement it's going to be a little tricky, but you can't really switch from a tenant to a lodger.

    What is key is what you rent.
    If you rented the whole property jointly with the other three tenants, the landlord is committing a criminal act in moving in.
    If you rented a room and access to shared facilities, they aren't doing anything wrong, and you're still a tenant.

    It was also an HMO, which might have needed a licence, so have a look at the local authority website for their local policy.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      A tenancy if less than 3 years does not have to written in England. Bonkers. As long as you have proof rent being paid you should be fine (how paid? Please don't say cash).

      It was s tenancy, an AST, it will still be one if landlord moves in.

      Even if sold your tenancy does not end not are you compelled to move out.

      Keep asking here or 'phone experts at Shelter, free helpline, 0808 800 4444.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Latest Activity