Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant complaining about a cupboard

Hello

i just wanted some advice please on what to do. I’m renting to a new tenant who hasn’t moved all of their things in yet. I bought a new washing machine and it’s gone into the space where I used to have mine and it sticks out more than my old one. I don’t know why to be honest because the dimensions are only 1cm bigger than my old one. But it seems this new machine curves out at the front which is really annoying because that’s not included in the dimensions online.

Anyway that means that they can’t open the door to a cupboard that’s low down to the left of the washing machine because if you try to the washing machine door gets in the way.

The two options are either don’t use that cupboard or I take the door off and they can use it like that.

The tenant isn’t happy about that but I don’t see what else I can do. Am I being unreasonable?

I assume the tenant viewed (and was promised) the premises with a washing machine and a cupboard that they can use ? If so then you are in a difficult position, what about getting a joiner in to see if the cupboard can be altered (the door/hinge) to shorten it thus allowing it to open.

Comment

Maybe the washing machine hasn't been pushed in all the way, or the water /waste pipe is getting in the way - it may be that you need to remove it again and check that nothing it blocking it and then push it back in.

If it is the size, then thing left is either extend the cupboard by a few cm's with a piece of wood, alternatively swap the door on the cupboard to the opposite side, but it still wont be flush with the washing machine. I wouldn't offer any reduction in rent.

Comment

I had the same thing. I removed the door before anyone viewed.

Don't have a property in any different condition between viewing & moving. Otherwise you make a rod for your own back.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocahontas
          The handle will just be lower because I will have to turn it upside down.
          She won't like that!
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Could you not just put the old washing machine back?

Or return the new one to the shop as unsiutable and get a slightly smaller replacement?
            Depends on the shop I guess.

Comment

I see the problem, one of my properties has the exact same layout, apart from the shade of the kitchen cupboards i would think it was a picture of my place !! But my door is the opposite way with the hinge on that side, but mine is tight for sure. In your circumstance the washer will naturally move when it is on the spin cycle...... if you do move the hinge then the handle can be in the right position if you get one of those guys out who can cover any damage or scratch without it being seen, i have used them and most are very good indeed. The holes can then be plugged and she will never see it.

Comment

Most important question which wasn't answered - did you advertise the property with a washing machine and is it on the Inventory the Tenant signed?

If neither then simply remove it.

I have no idea why you would include a washing machine anyway (unless it's fully furnished) as you are forever responsible for repairs, leaks, replacement etc.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                  return the new one to the shop as unsiutable and get a slightly smaller replacement?
                  This. If the dimensions are not as advertised then just return it and get a replacement.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Economy 7 and a smart meter
                    by NaomiB
                    The tank we put in was super insulated, probably cost about £200 or more. I don't think it would heat the space around it.

As a child I remember the galvanised hot water tank that was in the airing cupboard in the bathroom. Made it lovely and warm. Occasionally, it sprung a leak and...
                    27-11-2021, 19:49 PM
                  • Economy 7 and a smart meter
                    by NaomiB
                    I bought my tenant three new night storage heaters at the beginning of last year to replace the old ones.

I have just taken back management of this flat and a couple of weeks ago she emailed me about them. I told her that this particular meter had the economy 7 coming on at 8am in the...
                    23-11-2021, 21:24 PM
                    by JK0
                    Seriously?

Go and sit in your airing cupboard, and see if it's any warmer than outside....
                    27-11-2021, 17:42 PM
                    by Jon66
                    Just an aside, if you tenant is in full time education she is probably not entitled to welfare benefits unless she has a disability. If she is in receipt of a student loan and is struggling, she should ask her college hardship fund for help. They are very good at assisting lone parents to ensure they...
                    27-11-2021, 17:41 PM
                  • Reply to Cant accept visitors with pets
                    by Section20z
                    Landlord is the relevant party and presumably knows his lease so as long as she has his consent there's no problem and it certainly won't affect any reference
                    Just because 3 old biddies are worried about their cats doesn't mean they can dictate rules...
                    27-11-2021, 17:31 PM
                  • Cant accept visitors with pets
                    by Katarzyna1984
                    Hello everyone,

I am new here and I hope someone will be able to answer my question and help me out. My sister lives in rented property (flat) and she asked her landlord for a permission to accommodate my other sister with two dog for Christmas period. Landlord said he is ok with it but...
                    26-11-2021, 19:26 PM
                    by Section20z
                    Water in the immersion tank will supplement the space heating ?
                    How does that work then ?...
                    27-11-2021, 17:25 PM
                  • Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                    by Canning18
                    Heaters seem to have sorted themselves out by now. Insulation is the much bigger issue though.

I've noticed a 1 by 4cm cutout in the drywall under the windowsill that lets in so much air it makes the curtains move by themselves.

Similarly, there is a nearly 1 cm gap between...
                    27-11-2021, 17:18 PM
                  • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
                    by Canning18
                    Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
                    26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
                    by NaomiB
                    Update. Got this reply "All the advice you have given is very much appreciated but they are things that i have already done at one point or another over the past 7 years. The new heaters are set to that youtube video anyway and i have sent them all to the electrician and he says they are correct....
                    27-11-2021, 17:09 PM
                  Working...
                  X