I'm a landlord who also rents- EVERYTHING is broken and filthy- what should I pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplashLandlord View Post
    Sorry to hear you are getting tall stories on here anyway, I would love someone to shed some light on what the benefit of that would be
    Bashing private landlords is a very profitable multi million £ industry.

Lawyers, councils, politicians, charity CEO's have made fortunes out of it.

Comment

Sorry but WHY are you asking how much you should deduct from £1500 rent for not having a shower for 4 weeks?

The landlord wont pay for a plug or washer so what makes you think he's going to allow you ANY discount?

Youre apparently a LL so how much would YOU deduct for your tenant?

Go with that, have it rejected and then get an S21 (or S8 if you deduct it anyway)

I just dont believe that a successful business owner / LL cannot see how filthy a property is when viewing a proposed £1500/month expenditure.

If its real, then go after this shoddy LL for every penny you can, not just a few ££ discount one month.
      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Thanks again for the replies. Helpful to know.

The % of the rooms thing surprises me- as one can't function in a house where you can't bathe or shower- so if the tiles around the bath leak and thus you cannot shower (shower is over the bath) and the bath plughole leaks so you cannot use the bath then essentially the LL is renting a property with a bathroom with no shower or bath in my view.

I am a landlord and if I rented a property with no shower or bath for any length of time- I would say more than a couple of days then I would halve the rent- because I just don't see any excuse not to fix the problem if the tenant is making the place available to have the problem fixed. However, I am new to being a landlord and I am also a nice person and am not being a landlord as a business as such, just to cover my mortgage and anything extra is a bonus, so I just want a simple life, I already have my actual business as my main income. What my main issue with the whole situation is injustice and someone trying to take advantage of, me or anyone else which I simply cannot stand. This is something which I would am willing to put time and effort and stress into not letting happen to show that person they cannot and should not do that to another person, and it is that which makes me furious, far more than the financial implication to me. I would just prefer people to be decent, honest and have integrity and also if possible be kind, although I appreciate that is not in everyone's gift, do not take advantage of others.

The reason I thought he would give me a discount is despite he being incompetent he does at least seem genuine and I think a good person so I expected him to honor this, and this he would, but now the other people involved in the business have got wind of it, he has been forced to retract what he offered and so I want to know what to do and what is reasonable.

I know that I am overgenerous because with my tenant she completely freaked out due to having ants in the property, I already knew she was very sensitive as she had sent me a voicenote when she had initially moved in telling me and I quote 'I got into the flat and I was really scared because it was so dark, but then I found the light switch and then it was OK', not even joking, that was the message. When I sent the pest control guy he called to say it was the least bad case he had ever seen and he had put some poison down which usually did the job on most serious jobs but it would take 2 days to work. She called him back 3x in 2 days. I eventually moved her to a hotel for 2 days because she was freaking out so much, arranged for him to accompany her entering the flat, this is after he called me as he went in alone for the 4th time and on the phone said 'OK, I am going in....there is nothing here.'. I just want an easy life, for me to be happy, my tenant not to freak out, and my landlord not to go around taking advantage of people like he is me and me to not be raging about being taking advantage of or having to clean a filthy oven for hours.

I decided to do go down the private rented route when i decided to rent my place and glad i did as it is actually all very straightforward and couldn't face the ridiculous charges the letting agents charge for seemingly doing nothing, very glad I did as now I know what my LL should have done, but I guess this is the bit I can't work out. I know I am not being unreasonable about what has happened and what the standard should be, but it is the financial bit that baffles me.

Using the % theory £50 for a month of not being able to have a shower or bath in your own home- that seems like madness to me?

Using that theory, if I could not cook what would I get deducted? If i could not sleep there, what then? How would you work out if you everything but had no heating?

What if I could not cook, sleep, wash or hangout in a living area at all?

Genuine questions!

Comment

Bear in mind that it might well take 2 months to find a tradesman to do a minor job. We live in strange times.

How about
          a) Buy a £5 tube of silicon
          b) Squirt it on the hole
          c) Send landlord an invoice for £5
          d) Find somewhere better to stay

Comment

This is getting boring now and the more the OP posts the less and less I believe it.
            My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              How about
              a) Buy a £5 tube of silicon
              b) Squirt it on the hole
              c) Send landlord an invoice for £5
              I, by my own admission am totally inept at DIY, but even i would do the above, the silicone seal around a plug or bath/shower can degrade over time, it really is not a big job to do it yourself, it does not render the whole bathroom unusable. I am coming round to the view of '' Landlord-Man''.

Comment

Putting a tenant in a hotel for 2 days due to ants is ludicrous therefore I suggest your judgment is skewed and your legal knowledge non existent. You should not be a landlord, it is not the business for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

I, by my own admission am totally inept at DIY, but even i would do the above
                  Or if totally incompetent, then just pay a local handyman £50 to do it.

(Cue further information revealing the entire bathroom floor has collapsed justifying huge compensation and entitlement to hotels.)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
                      If its real, then go after this shoddy LL for every penny you can, not just a few ££ discount one month.
                      The property was a student house and the landlord has been getting away with providing sub standard property which is not clean. It seems that he has missed the student market and has offered this property in its 'student' condition to the wider market and because demand outstrips supply the OP is forced to consider his property as the only option. It's no wonder it reads like a spoof - the property market in most areas is overheated and this story illustrates that normal rules don't apply

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

- the property market in most areas is overheated and this story illustrates that normal rules don't apply
                        Silly me - I forgot the normal rules like having common sense and opening your eyes to what is around you.

The OP is (apparently) both a successful business woman and a landlord - yet enters into a Tenancy with her eyes firmly shut.

I don't believe it at all.

Comment

And AlexR just joined today. Either a mate or OP by a different name?

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                            Join date Oct 2016 and no, I do not know OP but I am a student landlord and have seen how Estate Agents operate.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                              He/She joined a few years ago and has quite a few posts - don't let's take the conspiracy theories too far, this isn't Covid (well not until the OP claims it in her next post lol)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

Join date Oct 2016 and no, I do not know OP but I am a student landlord and have seen how Estate Agents operate.
                                Apologies, I confused it with the latest activity date.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X