Dryer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dryer not working

Hi everyone (I'm a tenant not landlord but thought this would be the best place to ask)

Essentially, we have a washing machine that comes with a dryer. However, the dryer doesn't work - it takes hours to dry clothes and you have to remove the vast majority of clothes from the initial wash for anything to get close to drying. What rights do tenants have to request a new dryer? And there is another issue of have damp clothes lying around the house - which isn't good for the house or health of people living in it.

That's how washer-dryers are, sadly. Is there even room for another appliance?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I gave up using mine, you could only dry half a load at a time and it took hours. It was like that from new.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        That's how washer-dryers are, sadly. Is there even room for another appliance?
        Yeah I get what you're saying and unfortunately there is no space. But obviously a washer-dryer was on the inventory and advertised and if it's not working then do you think there is a chance the landlord will change it? In a 6 person house, everyone drying clothes on the stairs and everywhere else will surely cause damage to the house (and it really isn't healthy).

Comment

If the appliance was provided by the LL/LA and it is not working then you should request to get it fixed, unfortunately inbuilt dryers and washing machines have this issue where you don't get both doing a great job without sacrificing on the other.

If it's not possible to dry your clothes on a rack outside, the alternative which to put the clothes on a rack in the property with a dehumidifier and they will get drying in under 30-60mins and will also have benefits of lowering your costs of using the dryer. Just make sure you don't take too much of the moisture out of the air as this is bad. 45-55 humidity is ideal.

Comment

A washing line is useful in such circumstances

Comment

Buy a dehumidifier for £100. Works great and is better for your clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                I gave up using mine, you could only dry half a load at a time and it took hours. It was like that from new.
                Same here. We eventually bought a tumble dryer and stuck it in the garden shed.

Comment

You will find that the manufacturers instructions make clear that the maximum load for drying is much less than for washing, so yes, you do have to remove clothes first.

In all probability there is nothing wrong with the washer-dryer and the landlord will be under no obligation to replace it. If the bathroom is fully tiled then I suggest drying clothes in there with the window partly open.

Comment

While drying clothes naturally in a house can cause condensation and hence black mould, this can be prevented by a dehumidifier or adequate ventilation. I don t believe that damp clothes drying with cause any health issues in healthy adults. Using a dryer is very un ecologically friendly. If you care for the environment or say you do, you would not want to be using a dryer.

anyway washer/dryer combo s don t often work well. I had one - useless - so if there is no room for a separate dryer and washer there is only so much yr landlord can do. Another model of washer/dryer may not be better than what u have.

Comment

I put a condenser dryer in a cupboard in a flat, is there no handy cupboard?

I only use a dryer for bedding and towels, the rest is line dried, you just have to pick the day. The exact same thread is on mumsnet, the consensus was how useless combined washer/dryers are.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X