Tenant withholding rent - mould?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tenant is taking the p1th
    OK you may have to give lip service to his concerns, the fact that you have has a Damp Survey is excellent (may I ask how much it cost ?)
    The house I rent out I lived in it for a year and there was no signs of damp although I made a mistake in fitting a shower in the bathroom without fitting an extractor fan.
    The reports of mould started soon after the tenants partner had a baby. Its a 2 bed terraced so basically it has 4 rooms. I believe that the washing machine was on frequently and every radiator had a maiden in front of it with damp clothes on it.
    And they never opened the windows. The house is on the road I use to go to the shops so I know that the windows were never opened.
    My letting agent lent them a dehumidifier and we reduced the rent by £10 a month to cover the electricity.
    I also had an extractor fitted in the bathroom & kitchen
    I noticed when I did an inspection there were patches of black mould which I sprayed with CillitBang Black mould remover and wiped it off which left the wall perfectly clear with no sign of mould. It was surface damp which could have been wiped by the tenant.
    I once was manager at a business which had 33 Tenants and over a 20 year period I heard a lot of excuses about why tenants have not paid their rent. The thought of a tenant withholding rent would make me get a Notice to Quit served professionally.
    I pay about £120 a year for Rent Guarantee Insurance, they will only pay me if a Notice to Quit has been served.
    Good Luck.

Comment

Where do these tenants come from lol chest x rays you couldn’t make it up could you.

I know I defend tenants in some cases but my god get rid of this one ASAP. No work has been demanded by the council yet if at all.

Comment

Thank you everyone we are now two months in arrears apparently the excuse this month is that her bank account has been hacked! still no news on the health concerns. we managed to do the repointing, the vent system cannot be installed until December, I'm wondering now though do I have to fit it? I asked how we could make life better for the tenant and the surveyor suggested this system it's not a requirement? I'm not trying to get out of doing anything just concerned that we have rent and she could say after I fork out £2,000 for this system that she is still not happy and then i'm even more out of pocket. do you think its unreasonable for me to say that if rent isn't paid within two weeks I will serve a section 8?

Comment

Piffy,

Thank you I took insurance out but unfortunately after the first month of rent arrears so i don't think i will be covered. as we are now two months in arrears and I'm yet to have any fact based evidence of the damp she is talking about can I issue her with a section 8?

Comment

the survey cost £300

Comment

landlord-man,

Thank you as we are now two months in arrears do you think i can issue a section 8? i have not given a report to the tenant but the agents have a copy, should I send her a copy? the surveyor is council approved.

Comment

mokka,

thank you, we are now two months in arrears. The surveyor is approved by the local council. Would you issue a section 8 in this case? I feel we are be taken for a ride

Comment

landlord-man,

thank you for your reposes it does seem to be all waffle apart from one suede show which had some mould on it, a few green specks on the bottom of a very old chair and a tiny bit of black behind the pipes of the toilet system which is close to the wall, so probably condensation, the bricklayer who did the small bit or repointing checked the bricks and says they are all dry, he's been in business for 30 years. No evidence of black mould on the walls inside or out. should I send her the report and give two weeks to pay the arrears before issuing a section 8?

Comment

Serve it now using g8 10 and 11, and also a s21 if outside the fixed term. S8g8 are easily defeated by paying enough to reduce the arrears to less than 2 months so your g8 could fail, plus with a g8 the tenant can draw out the process by claiming disrepair.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs1975 View Post

i have not given a report to the tenant ....
                      You first asked your Q here on October 8th, and you had the Survey Report before that time.

Are you seriously saying 2+ weeks has gone by and you STILL haven't given the Tenant the Report nor have you made any further attempt to do the work recommended.
                      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

No we have been round and carried out repointing and we have booked the surveyor to go and fit the unit, however he can't do this until next month, that was the earliest he could do it. we arranged for all of this to be done within days of the report.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                          Serve it now using g8 10 and 11, and also a s21 if outside the fixed term. S8g8 are easily defeated by paying enough to reduce the arrears to less than 2 months so your g8 could fail, plus with a g8 the tenant can draw out the process by claiming disrepair.
                          even if our report says there is no damp?

Comment

No we have been round and carried out repointing and we have booked the surveyor to go and fit the unit, however he can't do this until next month, that was the earliest he could do it. we arranged for all of this to be done within days of the report.
                            so the tenant IS now communicating and has agreed for the workmen to enter and fit the unit.
                            My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post

so the tenant IS now communicating and has agreed for the workmen to enter and fit the unit.
                              yes we have not gained access, but still NO rent. The ventilation unit was recommended because i asked what i could do to make life easier for the tenant, not because it's needed. The report states there is no damp of any kind in the property.

Comment

even if our report says there is no damp?
                                Possibly, if they bring it up as a defence, even with no evidence it's possible with a sympathetic judge, the hearing could be adjourned pending evidence being provided, which of course will lead to a delay of at least 4 - 6 weeks.

Why are you reluctant to use a s21?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                                  06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                                • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                                  by Livingonaprayer
                                  Hi all.
                                  I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                                  Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                                  06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                                • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                  by AndrewDod
                                  If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                                  06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                                • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                  by Bert1e
                                  Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                                  28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                                • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                  by alice123
                                  I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                                  06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                                • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                                  by llplug
                                  I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                                  19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                                • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                                  by KTC
                                  The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                                  06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                                • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                  by Hudson01
                                  This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                                  06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                                • Accelerated possession order
                                  by Pariah81
                                  A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                                  05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                                • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                  by L4NDLORD
                                  this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                                  06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                                Working...
                                X