Carpet water damage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet water damage.

Could someone provide some advice to this issue.

The main water pipe/hose in the washing machine disconnected mid-cycle causing substantial amount of water soaking the carpet. The carpet will need to be professionally treated. If the washing machine was being used appropriately, is it the tenants fault or landlords for providing inadequate equipment that caused subsequent damage.

Difficult to say/ prove. Why will the carpet have to be "professionally treated". If you have a carpet clenaer run ir over the carpet and stick a dehumidifier in there to dry it out further.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
      Difficult to say/ prove. Why will the carpet have to be "professionally treated". If you have a carpet clenaer run ir over the carpet and stick a dehumidifier in there to dry it out further.
      The carpet is water logged and has been left too long for a cleaner as the floor underneath the carpet needs to be checked - and skirting boards.

The issue is the carpet,(which the tenants are responsible for as stated in the tendency agreement) has been damaged by an appliance that was used correctly by the tenants.

Comment

Oh well, just an accident then. No-one's fault. That's what insurance is for.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

If the tenants were using the washing machine correctly, then it's simply an accident and it just needs sorting (via insurance or the landlord directly).
          If the tenancy agreement makes the tenants responsible for damage to the carpet, they could simply claim any loss back from whoever caused them to suffer it.
          It would be hard to argue there wasn't some form of negligence on the part of the landlord, washing machine hoses don't normally "disconnect" in use.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As JOKO and jpkeates said.

If the tenant was not abusing the machine then it was an accident and you, the landlord, should have all the necessary protections in place.

If they delayed in reporting any issue to you and that worsened tany damages then it is possible you could negotiate for part of the costs. But really, the machine is yours, the carpet is yours. The issue is yours.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X