council tax between tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

council tax between tenants

Hi, Im in Liverpool, I'm getting some mixed answers but from my understanding, between one tenant moving out and another moving in I am eligable for a council tax reduction under The Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012.

That if my BTL property is "substantially unfurnished” I am entitled to 100% discount for 6 months
    If my BTL property is furnished I am entitled to 50% discount for 6 months.

I also note that it says Local Authorities/Councils have the right to essentially use this litigation 'at their own discretion', but if they do not comply with what I think it fair I can apply to the Valuation Tribunal for a decision.

Could anyone please clarify this for me,

All boroughs I work with don't give any reduction (unless kitchen & bathroom removed) but if you move in while doing renovations you can at least get 25% single person discount.

Comment

Hi, The ones I use all give 6 months providing the property is empty. Never tried a furnished one??

Comment

No discount for empty rentals around here. Furnished or unfurnished

Comment

Councils have the power to do as they see fit. My LA give the first 21 days the property is empty, free.

Comment

3 months free for me, property has to be unfurnished. As above, each council has their own rules. If it isn't clear ring the council.

Comment

Liverpool do not give any discount for empty properties unless it is undergoing major repairs, and that's only 20% and requires an inspection.

I think it was the ' The Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012' which actually removed the previous right to a discount.
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21814039
              https://www.valuationtribunal.gov.uk.../CT-Manual.pdf

Comment

thank you all for your swift replies

Comment

I've just used this exemption as a tenant when moving into a new flat 2 weeks after signing the lease. (Seems the Housing Association hadn't used it during the void, but I don't know if social housing pays CT on voids anyway?)

At first the council wanted to class it as a second home at full CT, but I managed to engage the empty property clause.

Here in Copeland it's 100% discount for up to 28 days, the property must be unfurnished and they wanted to see proof of that.
                  (It did have carpets and window blinds but they were OK with that).

Comment

Completely dependant upon the borough the property sits in. The local council is provided authority to govern how the fees are applied. In Bolton, for example, there is no free period even if the property is unfurnished and empty, and no reduction for it being empty. Also, if the property remains vacant for more than 24 months, the council tax DOUBLES. Fun town, Bolton.

Comment

I was born there, had lots of fun back in the day.
                      At 40 yo I moved up to Cumbria for work, still here, no longer working, still having fun, no plans to move back to Bolton.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X