relocation of boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relocation of boiler

Hi, I have been renting the house I live in for 10 years approx with my partner, we have 3 children the youngest is 5 months old. The property is a 3 bedroom house and rented to us as such (via the tenancy agreement). The problem I'm facing is that the "3rd" bedroom is rather small, maybe just big enough to put a cot and chest of draws in with enough room to have a "walk path" between to get in and out. However, in this room is the boiler. Its a combi boiler located about half way up the wall (next to the window), no insulation on the pipes and not enclosed. I spoke to the letting agency about having the boiler relocated somewhere else in the house as we wish to use the room for our new born and their attitude was less than favourable. I tried to explain that as they know the room itself is rather small and having the boiler in there is not a viable option, especially as the room is needed for a new born child. Yet still they practically ignored my request and said "doing this is unlikely".

Is there anything I can do to have them relocate the boiler?

I will also say, I once spoke to the chap that actually owns my house (about 4 years or so ago) and he said if I ever need anything to contact him as he is not impressed with the work that the letting agency does. But I feel doing this will cause further issues with the letting agency. Plus, im not sure I still have his number and have no ides of how to obtain it.

Any help is appreciated.

After 10 years of paying rent (if i were the LL) i would do what you ask, i would place it in the loft (done this before), i do not like boilers in bedrooms anyhow for obvious reason, i trust there is the standard carbon monoxide detector next to the appliance..... It is not unreasonable what you're asking for.... try to get the LL's telephone number and call him directly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWelsh View Post
      But I feel doing this will cause further issues with the letting agency. Plus, im not sure I still have his number and have no ides of how to obtain it.
      There are two ways to obtain an address at least.
      One is to write to the agent and ask for the landlord's contact details in writing.
      They have a limited time to respond, and a failure to do so is a criminal offence.
      Albeit one that's never ever prosecuted.
      And it might very well cause further issues - although, you have to be realistic, what are the agent going to be able to do about it?

You can try and get the landlord's address from the land registry, their name and address as owners of your property should be recorded there.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sounds like a big ask to me but my tenants are not as long term, the boilers are not impacting on the use of any rooms, all pipework is concealed and it would be a real pain to relocate them. The complexity (and cost) of moving will be different from job to job. On the plus side, it probably needs replacing soon as you've been there 10yrs, so it's at least that old. Certainly can't hurt to ask the landlord direct. He can only say no. More likely to view the request positively if you are prepared to contribute towards the cost.
        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

moving a boiler is more expensive than ever and it may not be possible under new rules about flues and condensate water.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
            On the plus side, it probably needs replacing soon as you've been there 10yrs, so it's at least that old. Certainly can't hurt to ask the landlord direct. He can only say no. More likely to view the request positively if you are prepared to contribute towards the cost.
            Agree with all of that.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

When we needed a new boiler in our rental property we moved it from a bedroom to the kitchen but I would not have done so if we did not have to do a fair amount of work on the system anyway. I agree re asking the LL though, you have nothing to lose if you do so politely!
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

You can certainly ask the LL but the simple truth maybe that you have outgrown the property and need to look for a new one. If there is only room for a cot then what will you do when the child needs a bed? Moving the boiler only gives you a temporary reprieve and will certainly not be cheap, so expect your rent to increase.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X